Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 04:06 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times

Advertisements

Put the carrier against the wall, drape a towel or blanket against your front, hold the cat facing backwards (front of cat against your middle), kneel in front of carrier, let blanket drop over the back of cat, push cat back end first into the carrier. Push against blanket to be sure all parts, especially paws, are in carrier before closing.

At vet, warn them first about possibility of fear aggression and let them handle cat.

In future take cat to vet at least once a year, better twice, so vet and staff are used to handling cat, and so cat is used to going and knows that he will be home again after all.

Rescue Remedy can be very helpful. Rub it into the cat's ears half an hour before you have to start getting him into the carrier.

A squirt of feliway in the carrier a half hour beforehand, as someone else mentioned, can also be beneficial.

I don't agree with drugging cats for vet trips. My most recent late cat was fear aggressive at the vet. I, and the techs, and the vet, have the bite scars to prove it. I would never have drugged her, though the vet once suggested it. She never brought it up again after I said an adamant no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 04:48 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Our cat which departed for the Rainbow Bridge in June of 2020, exhibited hostility when going to the vet.

Initially, she didn’t exhibit hostility, but as she got older, she did. The vet prescribed Gabapentin to try and calm her, and we tried a half dose at first, then a full dose, but unfortunately, this medication did not work.

The vet ended up having to put her under anesthesia for exams, that was the only way.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:36 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
One of my cats is like this. I have taken to leaving the carrier out pretty much all the time, and tossing treats in there from time to time. This has made getting her into the carrier much easier when the time does come. Oh, don't get me wrong, she still loses her mind as soon as I close it, but at least she's in and no one got hurt.

Once we're at the vet, they have to sedate her. And by sedate her, I mean basically put her under completely. That's the only way they can even touch her.

The vet has given me sedatives to give to her beforehand. But as you can imagine, getting a pill down her throat is impossible. I've tried hiding it and crushing it up in food, but she's too smart for that.

I do feel horrible every time, though. The shelter didn't know much about her other than she was brought in as a stray. She was young, so she was probably born a stray. I think she had a rough start in life, was probably not treated well by some humans, and was most likely trapped before being taken to the shelter. She's really not trying to be difficult; she is legitimately terrified. So, I always feel awful doing that to her.

And she is really a very, very sweet kitty normally.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:46 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,047,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Tell the vet ahead when you make the appointment. They could give your cat a tranquilizer and be prepared. A lot of cats don't like the vet, so they know what to do. I've seen muzzles, and they wrap them up in a towel. But the aggression you describe, a medicine given at home might be best.
I made a point to tell my vet when I made the appointment to have Essie's yearly checkup that they would need to pull out the cheetah gloves. I explained that she hisses and bites and scratches when she is around strangers and has anxiety.

She did have to be sedated for the exam and rabies shot, but just slightly. She was fine so long as she was in the house where she could rest afterward.

I used a small cat carrier to transport her in the car and it opens from the top, that worked perfectly.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
I had a cat that did not like the v-e-t.

I wore a plastic face shield, leather welding jacket and gloves. We'd sneak up on him with a pillow case. Whoosh! Then with just his head sticking out lower him into the carrier.

Oh would he howl and carry on, "You're killing me!" "Mommy and Daddy, I'm scared."

We'd get to the vet. He'd scream and cry to the point they would put us in a room right away to not traumatize the other pets.

Once in the room, he'd sit quietly. The vet would come in, open the gate. Kitty would then slowly step out and sit on the table like the whole thing was his idea in the first place.

Then after, he'd walk back into the carrier and sit with the gate open, "I'm ready to go home now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats