Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 02:03 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

First cat in my house - other than cat sitting for a friend - in more than a year.

This little guy is all black, with a white tuft on his throat. He's 9 months old and is intact (keep your fingers crossed he's not a sprayer). He showed up at a friend's house yesterday, and she scooped him up and took him to her vet. I agreed to take him in until he is neutered in 3 weeks, then we'll place him with a rescue if an owner doesn't come forward.

He's in really good shape - his coat is soft and shiny, he has no fleas, he's FIV/FeLV negative, no other indications of any health problems. If someone dumped him, or if he's lost, it happened very recently.

My friend was calling him Cookie, but that's not going to work in my house. I've been calling him Bud/Buddy, but that doesn't fit, either.

I wasn't prepared to get a cat just yet - although who ever is? LOL - so even if he doesn't trigger my allergies I'm not sure I want to keep him. Time will tell.

Right now he's tuckered out at my feet after chasing a whiffle golf ball up and down the stairs. It's been a whirlwind 24 hours for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 02:19 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Well, have fun with him.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Pictures??????

Old 09-22-2022, 05:18 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Good for you Ohiogirl. And when is a good time for a kitty? ANY TIME!

We too have a black kit with a white bow tie, she was one of three kittens hatched by momma cat Pots who showed up in our back yard in the spring of 2017 and has been here ever since. Inky has become the sweetest cat, she's playful and affectionate and did I mention sweet sweet sweet?

We were traditional two-cat people. Then Pretty Girl showed up, she was a put-out IMO, we brought her in during a very cold spell. Then Inky who was being relentlessly pursued by two males, before we got them all in to the fix-it shop. Poor kitty spent her time treed.

Enjoy your new feline friend.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
So excited to hear of all the purrfectly adorable antics this cat gets into!!

May I ask if your feline friend is of a healthy weight?

A stray that sorta adopted us and then even unbeknownst to us, graced us with three kittens. Is still underweight. Hoping yours is a thief ....by stealing your heart ❤️.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:44 PM

I may not keep him. He's really ramped up my allergies.

It sure is fun having a young cat again, though. Oh, and the best part: He caught a mouse! A real, live, squiggly, furry mouse. *shudder*

Old 09-28-2022, 05:42 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Allergy pills.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Allergy pills.
I've tried them all in the past week. Nothing is working, and I'm miserable. Benadryl worked with my other cats, who made my wheeze. This guy makes me sneeze, violently and repeatedly, and none of the antihistamines are even putting a dent in it.

I'm sad, because he's a sweet little thing who likes to cuddle and play. He actually misses me when I'm gone - unlike Cookie and Checkers, who would ignore me when I got home until they realized it was dinnertime. This little guy greets me at the door and purrs his brains out before I can even reach down to pet him.

He's mine at least for the next week, until he goes to the vet to get snipped. As soon as I remember how to post a photo, I'll share his cuteness.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
Try an allergy med with the ingredient pseudoephedrine. You have to ask for it from the pharmacist.
Claritin D - 12 hour works for me. Not the 24 hour one. Not the red one.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:38 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've tried them all in the past week. Nothing is working, and I'm miserable. Benadryl worked with my other cats, who made my wheeze. This guy makes me sneeze, violently and repeatedly, and none of the antihistamines are even putting a dent in it.

I'm sad, because he's a sweet little thing who likes to cuddle and play. He actually misses me when I'm gone - unlike Cookie and Checkers, who would ignore me when I got home until they realized it was dinnertime. This little guy greets me at the door and purrs his brains out before I can even reach down to pet him.

He's mine at least for the next week, until he goes to the vet to get snipped. As soon as I remember how to post a photo, I'll share his cuteness.
Awwww, he sounds like a wonderful little guy, and very affectionate ... I am so sad that it sounds like you won't be able to keep him.

I loved your Cookie and Checkers stories over the years. Hope you can have another cat someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats