Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times

Advertisements

First of all, he is 11 years old and ever since being a kitten I let him go outside. All he'd do was hide under the deck (nothing could get under deck as low deck) so I was ok with it. Then we moved to a place with a giant back yard and so he has been accustomed to go outside and having fun I guess. Since he's getting older, his outside excursions are much more limited.

Well, due to neighbor problems I now fear he might be poisoned or step on something sharp. So as I see it, I either am able to make him a strictly indoor cat or give him up for adoption. I think he is a very pretty and nice cat (red tabbly, pretty long hair but they say medium). He is very fluffy so I think someone might want to adopt him as he's not that old and a pretty cat. If not, I know that means euthanasia. However, my neighbor has demonstrated intent to harm my animals and I'd rather my cat be euthanized than poisoned and die some horrible death.

So I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. Any advice on how to make him a strictly indoor cat at this point? I can put up with his constant meowing to go out if it only lasts for a certain amount of time. But what if it never ends and he just cannot be made into an indoor cat? BTW, I have two dogs who he will be seeing going outside (as well they should for potty reasons) and I think he'll dash through the door and roam around. Dogs can be contained, cats cannot.

Is it possible, has anyone done it, and how did you do it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
After 11 years as an indoor/outdoor cat, I don't know if yours would accept being outside but contained. It works for us though. One of my cats sits outside in a crate with a small blanket, a water dish, and a towel on the top for "privacy". Of course in your case he'd have to be where you could easily see if someone was going to do something to him. Also, if we're going to be outside with hour cat we let her go on a SHORT tie-out that just reaches a bush she likes to lie under. You have to be right there with them if they're on a tie-out, for their safety. She's reasonably satisfied with those arrangements, maybe your cat would be too. At least he's not at a really young and rambunctious stage.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Can you build an outdoor enclosure for him?

Harness train him and take him out with you, supervised only?

If that is not feasible, keep him in, and he will adjust eventually.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers, buy or build a cat tree, and give him a lot of attention and interactive Game time.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
We have had the same situation before and unfortunately most cats that have been outdoors for so long (10+ years) don't seem to ever turn into indoor only cats. Except for cold weather, we couldn't keep a neighbors cat in the house all the time and if we did, he would claw at the door, mark on the door, and it was just a nightmare. Cat's are smarter than you are giving yours credit for. They rarely can be poisoned as long as you are feeding the cat (which I would indoors consistently and keep a set schedule so that he doesn't have the need to eat anywhere else) but if you are really very worried, it is probably best that you find a cat sanctuary or rescue to take him. But, I can't understand why you wouldn't get the police involved if you fear that a neighbor is trying to harm animals? I would set up a hidden camera, get footage and take it to the authorities before going any further regardless. People should never get away with this crap. But, they also do make the invisible fence for cats, so if you really are worried about him I would call them today and have them come out to see if they can help. Hopefully in the future, you will no longer have an outdoor cat for the reason that you have posted. You can't be too careful these days.

Please keep us posted.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
We have had the same situation before and unfortunately most cats that have been outdoors for so long (10+ years) don't seem to ever turn into indoor only cats. Except for cold weather, we couldn't keep a neighbors cat in the house all the time and if we did, he would claw at the door, mark on the door, and it was just a nightmare. Cat's are smarter than you are giving yours credit for. They rarely can be poisoned as long as you are feeding the cat (which I would indoors consistently and keep a set schedule so that he doesn't have the need to eat anywhere else) but if you are really very worried, it is probably best that you find a cat sanctuary or rescue to take him. But, I can't understand why you wouldn't get the police involved if you fear that a neighbor is trying to harm animals? I would set up a hidden camera, get footage and take it to the authorities before going any further regardless. People should never get away with this crap. But, they also do make the invisible fence for cats, so if you really are worried about him I would call them today and have them come out to see if they can help. Hopefully in the future, you will no longer have an outdoor cat for the reason that you have posted. You can't be too careful these days.

Please keep us posted.
Cats can learn to live inside. It takes work of course. Considering rehoming or euthanizing a healthy 11 year old cat rather than keeping him inside for his safety is way over the top IMO.

I read the dog thread. Misty, since you are building an enclosure for the dogs, why can't it be used for your cat, too?

Cats are poisoned quite often, unfortunately. All anyone needs to do is put down some antifeeze.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
The most recent cat to join our family is 5 to 6 years old. She was previously an indoor/outdoor cat. She could go as she pleased through a doggie door.
When she came to live with us... she was "tossed" in with 6 other cats and two dogs. We changed her food from dry to wet, and she is kept indoors only now.
She just went with the flow with all the changes in her life and she shows no interest in wanting to go outside.
My suggestion... don't worry about something that may not be an issue.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Can you build an outdoor enclosure for him?

Harness train him and take him out with you, supervised only?

If that is not feasible, keep him in, and he will adjust eventually.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers, buy or build a cat tree, and give him a lot of attention and interactive Game time.
If I may, what is a feliway plug in diffuser?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats can learn to live inside. It takes work of course. Considering rehoming or euthanizing a healthy 11 year old cat rather than keeping him inside for his safety is way over the top IMO.

I read the dog thread. Misty, since you are building an enclosure for the dogs, why can't it be used for your cat, too?

Cats are poisoned quite often, unfortunately. All anyone needs to do is put down some antifeeze.
The enclosure itself is nothing more than a four foot high fence. Besides, there are four sliders and a front door off this house. If my cat wants out, my cat would find a way out.

I do know cats and dogs are poisoned quite often, which is why I made this thread.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post

Please keep us posted.
I have involved the police. This may or may not deter this guy. It's a long expanse of fence and would involved several cameras. There are bushes to be hid behind that no camera would pick up. All it takes is going behind a bush and throwing something over, plus I am not in the financial position to install several cameras.

Let's not forget in this whole equation I have to think of ME too, which is why the alarm system repair is yet another priority (aside from the enclosure).

Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
If I may, what is a feliway plug in diffuser?
Feliway plug in diffuser is a plug in that releases the same pheromones a cat releases when he rubs his face on things to mark them. Feliway helps reduce stress and territorial feelings. I certainly recommend using them for transitioning a cat into a completely indoor cat.

Rehoming an 11 year old cat would cause him way more stress than keeping him inside. It may cause you some inconvenience as he adjusts to the new situation, but that's just part of pet ownership I am sure you will agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The enclosure itself is nothing more than a four foot high fence. Besides, there are four sliders and a front door off this house. If my cat wants out, my cat would find a way out.

I do know cats and dogs are poisoned quite often, which is why I made this thread.
My comment about poisoning was directed to another poster who said it is rare that cats are poisoned. It is not rare at all, and so I said.

You are making a lot of excuses about how you can't keep your cat in, rather than thinking positively and looking for ways to overcome the obstacles of keeping him in. If you live alone, and keep your doors closed I fail to see how he could get out without you letting him out.

Build the dog enclosure up a little higher (so you can get in to clean up the poop) and put a screened roof on it to contain kitty.

Put a perch in there for him.

Grow some cat/dog safe plants.

Put a cat door and an enclosed run from a window to the enclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats