Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I would shop around. Let me ask you if your son has a cell phone? If so how do you plan to make sure he never uses it while driving? Cell phone users cause as many accidents as drunk drivers and since MOST 17 year old drivers have them you may understand why the rates are high. If he is listed as the primary driver on the jeep theres another reason for the increase.
He is REQUIRED to be listed as the primary driver on ONE of the vehicles.

Cell phone use is irrelavent to my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yo! YO! my man. I thought the OP brought up the subject of being priced fairly.did he not.? I just pointed out one thing the insurance folks look at when they set rates. The highway safety commission who interacts with insurance companys are interested in the cell phone statistics as any person who buys insurance should be,,,, case made it isnt off topic..ps that being happy stuff never happened....
What I asked about was FAIR pricing by OUR company, relative to what OTHER PEOPLE are paying. That has nothing to do with cell phones.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I have a 19 year old in college and his 10 year old honda is about 1100 a year for liability only. Just the way it goes for our sons.
Well that's pretty close to mine. Has it changed much in the last 2 years?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My insurance WAS about $350 for my one car, for 6 months - my car is a '99 Outback. I added my son (and a 2000 Grand Cherokee (he is 17 and an A student) and added him to my policy. I just got the new bill for 6 months, and it's $1100!!! Needless to say I am shopping around, but thought I'd get some other people's experiences here.

How much did yours go up when you added your teenager? If you have time, please include the type of cars that you insured, as that is supposed to have an effect (although it sure didn't hold mine down. )
My Dad told me that if I want to drive I have to pay the cost. So I had to pay for my own car, my own insurance and all when I was a boy in High School.

Fast forward to when each of my 4 sons grew to driving age.......
I told each one of them that they had to pay the cost to drive if they wanted to drive. Three of them choose not to have a car with the fourth buying and paying for his own car and all. One of my boys still doesn't drive or own a car since he lives now in a major city with good public transport.

What I discovered as a boy was my Dad wasn't being mean at all. He was giving me the chance to do it myself and the pride that goes with doing that.
That's the same gift I gave to my 4 sons and they learned the lessons involved very well to grow into fine adult men today!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
'
Really? Our company didn't require that...especially since at first there were four drivers in my house but only two cars. Even when we got one additional vehicle, I was then listed as primary on two of the three, which was true. No problem.

Now, of course, when they got "their" vehicles, of course they were listed as primary, because they were. Don't want anyone to think I'm trying to get over on anyone!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
My Dad told me that if I want to drive I have to pay the cost. So I had to pay for my own car, my own insurance and all when I was a boy in High School.

Fast forward to when each of my 4 sons grew to driving age.......
I told each one of them that they had to pay the cost to drive if they wanted to drive. Three of them choose not to have a car with the fourth buying and paying for his own car and all. One of my boys still doesn't drive or own a car since he lives now in a major city with good public transport.

What I discovered as a boy was my Dad wasn't being mean at all. He was giving me the chance to do it myself and the pride that goes with doing that.
That's the same gift I gave to my 4 sons and they learned the lessons involved very well to grow into fine adult men today!
I had to pay for mine as well. So I agree with your perspective. My son is going to either pay for the cost, or I WILL sell the car.

However, I'm not arguing how to raise a child here. I am looking for other's experiences with the pricing.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
'
Really? Our company didn't require that...especially since at first there were four drivers in my house but only two cars. Even when we got one additional vehicle, I was then listed as primary on two of the three, which was true. No problem.

Now, of course, when they got "their" vehicles, of course they were listed as primary, because they were. Don't want anyone to think I'm trying to get over on anyone!
Yes. Really. It IS a requirement. Checked and doublechecked, believe me. In fact, if I had added him to my policy prior to purchasing the additional vehicle, they would have made him the primary on MY car. Totally nuts.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
The insurance company you have is hosing you with this "demand". Just who is the customer here anyway?

If it were me I'd start looking for a better insurance company right now! This "demand" is just crapola.

Don't let this insurance company treat you like this!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The insurance company you have is hosing you with this "demand". Just who is the customer here anyway?

If it were me I'd start looking for a better insurance company right now! This "demand" is just crapola.

Don't let this insurance company treat you like this!
The company's perspective is that I cannot be a primary on BOTH cars, with a teen driver as part of the household. That's what they told me anyway. I think the rules are different with a 2-adult household. But yes, I agree - it sucks. And I AM looking.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
One thing my carrier told me (State Farm) is that if the child is the owner of the car(his/her name is on the title) then the insurance is much more. My daughter added only about $480 a year to our policy. She gets all the discounts she can get. We only have liability as the car is 12 years old and has lots of miles on it. Males under 25 are the most expensive to insure. I have two boys coming up in 2 and 6 years and don't know what I'll do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance