Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 142 times

Advertisements

Hi! I had a minor accident where someone bumped in the back of my car. Police came and I'm at no fault. The problem is that the other person was uninsured and I did a claim with my insurance already for the repairs. The cost is $1,600 and I have a $500 deductible. Is it worth it? Will my insurance go up in a few months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 01:03 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam34567 View Post
Hi! I had a minor accident where someone bumped in the back of my car. Police came and I'm at no fault. The problem is that the other person was uninsured and I did a claim with my insurance already for the repairs. The cost is $1,600 and I have a $500 deductible. Is it worth it? Will my insurance go up in a few months?
https://www.caranddriver.com/car-ins...ault-accident/

It's possible but not quite for the reasons you're thinking of. As the cost of accident repairs rises, the cost to insure drivers overall, especially against the uninsured (no one for your insurer to pursue in order to be made whole) also goes up. A rising tide floats all boats. It could also end up going higher if you've ever been in an at-fault accident before this one or filed claims before. History has taught your insurance company that you tend to be more expensive to insure. You drive in situations that put you at higher risk of accidents, regardless who's fault they end up being.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-29-2024 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-29-2024, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/car-ins...ault-accident/

It's possible but not quite for the reasons you're thinking of. As the cost of accident repairs rises, the cost to insure drivers overall, especially against the uninsured (no one for your insurer to pursue in order to be made whole) also goes up. A rising tide floats all boats. It could also end up going higher if you've ever been in an at-fault accident before this one or filed claims before. History has taught your insurance company that you tend to be more expensive to insure. You drive in situations that put you at higher risk of accidents, regardless who's fault they end up being.
This. Regardless of fault, you got hit and they had to pay to fix it. Some people are just prone to that by parking in busy lots, too far from the curb, or too close to the line, and may have repeated "not at fault" accidents. It would be nice if the company would give you one a year without raising rates but no one can tell without asking or trying it to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance