Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 06:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
It has to do with accident frequency and severity. Those hours will penalize you as those hours are statistically proven to have more accidents, and more severe accidents. Why should people that drive other hours subsidize those risks?

As Mark Twain said:

There are three types of lies, they are:

Lies

Damn Lies!

Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 09:43 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As Mark Twain said:
Lies
Damn Lies!
Statistics
Very true.

Except that insurance companies keep records of ever dollar that got spent on every type of claim.

How much did drunk driver accident claims cost in 2021. They have it to the penny.
How much did cell phone accident claims cost in 2021. They have it to the penny.
How much did red light running accident claims cost in 2021. They have it to the penny.
How much did midnight to 4 AM accident claims cost in 2021. They have it to the penny.

You get the idea.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:10 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Might as well let insurance companies microchip you if you allow telematics in your car. Not enough savings to allow that much of my privacy.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:18 AM

1,085 posts, read 692,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As Mark Twain said:

Lies

Damn Lies!

Statistics
Then there’s actuarial math. Math is undefeated.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 692,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Might as well let insurance companies microchip you if you allow telematics in your car. Not enough savings to allow that much of my privacy.
You’re likely a really crappy driver then, and going to be really surprised what your car and phone are already tracking. The morons that get wound up about this stuff crack me up. I just have my staff hang up on them and let them pay more and more and more every year as an idiot tax.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:05 PM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I am curious about recent experiences that others have had with Snapshot where your driving is monitored and, based on results

We are sending our unit back today. We had one incident (hard braking because some idiot ran out in front of us). The discount we get for the upcoming 6 months is $29.

I think I read somewhere that the types discounts are only for one 6 month period.
In the Snapshot fine print was some scenario where we could experience some kind of surcharge. Implying that our driving habits would be contrary to the results from using the device.

We are with Progressive. Our friend is with Allstate and also had a device. Let me find out what discount they are getting.

Last edited by howard555; 01-06-2022 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We are sending our unit back today. We had one incident (hard braking because some idiot ran out in front of us). The discount we get for the upcoming 6 months is $29.
That's all? That sucks.

If you want to voice your displeasure here's a couple of email addresses of high ranking Progressive corporate officers.

tricia_griffith@progressive.com

Geoffrey_T_Souser@progressive.com

Probably won't do you any good beyond the satisfaction of rattling their cages.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
If Howard555's discount is typical then you may be right.

I'll know soon enough.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:00 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
If Howard555's discount is typical then you may be right.

I'll know soon enough.
Your discount could be higher if you avoid "an incident" and also you may have a newer vehicle with higher limits = much higher premium than we have = higher Snap discount for you.

Allstate with my friend offers "Milewise"
It works the same way in tracking driving habits but the way they give the discount is unusual. The driver never removes the device. Their driving habits give a "daily cost per mile. Unlike traditional car insurance, you pay a daily rate plus a per-mile rate which are adjusted at renewal using your previous six months of driving information.

Last edited by howard555; 01-07-2022 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-08-2022, 10:56 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
You’re likely a really crappy driver then, and going to be really surprised what your car and phone are already tracking. The morons that get wound up about this stuff crack me up. I just have my staff hang up on them and let them pay more and more and more every year as an idiot tax.
I’ve worked for several insurance companies and an OEM HQ. Worked heavily with the privacy department with the updated California privacy act a few years ago copying the European privacy laws. And if you don’t think insurance companies sell information you are an easy mark.

But I’m obviously the idiot here. Maybe you should stop assuming and have an open mind before projecting bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance