Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 05:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I used Safeco's device some years ago for about a $50 discount. I drove like an old lady for three months, turned in the device, kept the discount, and went right back to my old driving methods.
I don't think I'd be able to pull off driving like that for that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, it was offered to us by our insurer, but I enjoy "spirited" driving and would expect my rates to go up, rather than down.
So do I. I have a clean driving record at this time but I love to open it up when the opportunity presents itself, and I just haven't gotten caught in a while. I'm a very different driver than my insurance company thinks I am.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:39 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't think I'd be able to pull off driving like that for that long.
They give you some leeway. You don't have to be 100% perfect all the time. It's like getting a B+ in school instead of an A.

Besides, I looked back on my records and recalled that I had a second vehicle on the policy that didn't have the device. If I wanted to lead foot it, I just took out the other vehicle.

That's why those devices are a load of crap. There's lots of ways around them and still get the discount.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:33 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
All newer cars have a "black box" that the cars owner can not tamper with. Insurance company gizmo or not the data is there and retrievable (cops can easily do it) . If you wreck or kill yourself or others driving 100 mph your speed will be proven and useable in a law suit or police action..I bet most of you didn't even know this. I bet you don't know that of the 50k plus killed each year THAT ALMOST ALL WERE DUE TO DRIVER"ERROR" ,

Old 12-13-2019, 10:58 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
I've used one with Progressive, and the savings were real. I shopped around to find the best policy price before signing up with Progressive, so it was already the lowest price policy I could find. Then I got a 23% discount on top solely for driving like a reasonable person.

When I had it, the only thing it tracked were hard stops and the time of day you drove. If you could avoid slamming the brakes and could stay off the road between midnight and 5am, it is easy to save. Even if you drive as bad as possible, you still get something like 5% off just for being a member of the program. Really no down side.

Edit: forgot to mention- at one point while I had it, I changed jobs and had a very long commute. When I was making that drive, my discount was only 9%, so mileage is another important factor. But after I moved closer to that job I requested the device again and my discount went back into the 20's.

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 12-13-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 AM

13,071 posts, read 7,505,741 times
We use one on a Prius II, 2009. Urban eastside of Seattle. Save $400 over the Lizard, whom we had for 25 years. Still have an unbrella policy with them. Our driving is down to about 60-80 miles/mn, making only short trips to the grocery stores. We take the bus to most places as being convenient and relatively quick. We walk quite a bit too since we live on flatland and most places are within walking distance. Age 69/72 and new to this area and unfamiliar with everything.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:32 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
We have them from State Farm in 3 vehicles. We don’t drive very far and most drives are on 25, 35, 45 mph roads. We seem to save a decent amount. One car is a full EV and we get dinged on accelerating to quickly. Oh well...

Old 12-14-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We have them from State Farm in 3 vehicles. We don’t drive very far and most drives are on 25, 35, 45 mph roads. We seem to save a decent amount. One car is a full EV and we get dinged on accelerating to quickly. Oh well...
I have State Farm for auto insurance and they have never mentioned giving me one of those devices. Could it be because I already have the "good driver" discount? I'm not sure how they select who gets the device and who doesn't.

If I had one, I would surely get dinged because I like to accelerate quickly. I wonder if the device can tell what the speed limit is where you are driving, through the GPS, and compare it to your actual speed. If it can do that, I would be in trouble sometimes.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:48 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
That said, every insurance company does things differently. Progressive, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, and State Auto all give you an initial discount, monitor how you drive for awhile, and then adjust that discount.
This is my concern. I figure that they would use anything even remotely questionable to jack my rates up.

My last at-fault accident was in 1983, my last speeding ticket in 1979. I'm not exactly an aggressive driver. Even so, something about this doesn't seem right. An insurance company doesn't give you anything with the idea of reducing their own profits.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have State Farm for auto insurance and they have never mentioned giving me one of those devices. Could it be because I already have the "good driver" discount? I'm not sure how they select who gets the device and who doesn't.

If I had one, I would surely get dinged because I like to accelerate quickly. I wonder if the device can tell what the speed limit is where you are driving, through the GPS, and compare it to your actual speed. If it can do that, I would be in trouble sometimes.
We also had/have the good driver discount. They don't really "decide" who gets the device and who doesn't. I think you can have one if you ask.

Even if you get "dinged" you just might not get as big of a discount from having the device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance