Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

The minimum coverage in most states is ridiculously low. (15/30). I am not sure when that was set, but I would guess in the 1970s. Doubling it is really insufficient in today world as well. It should be 100/300 for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The minimum coverage in most states is ridiculously low. (15/30). I am not sure when that was set, but I would guess in the 1970s. Doubling it is really insufficient in today world as well. It should be 100/300 for everyone.
Our State Farm agent recent told us that his company does not offer anything less than 100/300 for liability. And I agree with you.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
If you’re doing minimum coverage you better hope your judgment proof.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, how much of that money is actually going to help fire victims, or other people in need, compared to the insurance companies astronomical yearly profits?

Insurance is such a rip off, majority of the money we pay them, goes straight to their profits, and they provide absolutely nothing in return for these profits, basically they want you to pay the premium and then go away.
Companies pay the claims that they are legally obligated to pay. Flooding is not covered unless flood insurance is purchased.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats a good point, if you are here illegally and have no DL no SS card, I highly doubt ANY car insurance company would insure you, even for the most basic liability, they would be opening themselves up to all kinds of legal trouble!

Not true. All you have to do is go to urban areas with high numbers of illegals and you will see small insurance companies offering coverage for very low rates. Guaranteed they take premiums from illegals. It's anybodies guess whether they actually pay the claims.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 PM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
It usually takes a lot to get me to switch. I am not going to switch to save $5 a month.

Every 3 years I'll check and if I see a big difference I'll make the switch. I make sure I compare identical policies so I am comparing apples to apples.

My rates have not gone up in a while.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Our State Farm agent recent told us that his company does not offer anything less than 100/300 for liability. And I agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If you’re doing minimum coverage you better hope your judgment proof.
State legislatures really should raise the minimum limits of liability. If not to 100/300 than at least to 50/100. Only one state had minimum limits that high and that state was Wisconsin. The Wisconsin legislature reduced minimum limit coverage to 25/50

Why aren't minimum limits higher? Its largely because the "tail wags the dog". Young drivers have high insurance rates that many have trouble affording and the state legislature is more interested in accommodating their needs than it is in seeing that adequate insurance exists to pay for losses caused by bad drivers. The state legislature allows marginal drivers to operate on the roads by allowing drivers to legally maintain ridiculously low insurance limits. The argument goes that if you don't allow these drivers to buy low limits of coverage, they will simply continue driving with no insurance at all.

Driving is a privilege not a right and I think the attitude towards marginal drivers ought to be that if they can't afford to pay for decent insurance, they shouldn't be on the roads. They should be looking for alternative transportation options such as the bus, Uber, Lyft, or ridesharing. I would raise insurance limits and be more aggressive in terms of enforcing laws against drivers without insurance. What these drivers--in effect do--is steal from those of us with car insurance. I would consider short jail sentences for some of them who are caught driving without insurance and I would confiscate and seize their cars as a routine measure. An uninsured vehicle has no place on the roads.

In the meantime, I would encourage responsible drivers to have high limits of liability, uninsured motorist coverage, and underinsured motorist insurance coverage.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
What, insurance rates increasing?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Neither liability nor collision/comprehensive auto insurance should be mandatory.
You have an accident, regardless of fault, your own insurance should cover you.
Would prices go up or down in this scenario?

Obviously, for those with zero to negative wealth it's a boon as they would surely pass. Those with something to lose would need protect their assets but I am not sure how the knock-on effects would play out.
But requiring insurance surely doesn't lower it's cost, that I'm sure of.
Think ACA.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Neither liability nor collision/comprehensive auto insurance should be mandatory.
You have an accident, regardless of fault, your own insurance should cover you.
Would prices go up or down in this scenario?

It's called no-fault insurance and 12 states have adopted it. It is very unpopular and expensive. Several states have come close to repealing it. Most of the states are in the top ten most expensive states for auto insurance.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccasazz.../#f4e0d24bb665

This study also finds no-fault drives up rates.
"No-fault auto insurance is consistently more expensive than traditional insurance"
Study Shows No-Fault Auto Insurance Far More Expensive Than Traditional "Personal Responsibility" Systems | Consumer Watchdog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance