Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,015,493 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be an easy software program to write?

Have the DMV match up to all plates and have a database from the insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,221,386 times
Another argument in favor of government coverage. In Quebec, basic minimum liability is included in the annual registration fee. No insurance, no plates. And of course, personal injury is covered in the automatic and universal health insurance.

I've never heard of a US policy covering anywhere in Mexico. But Mexican insurance is very cheap, as I recall it is only about $60 for six months. (But if bought by the day, it is also about $60 for three weeks.) The really important thing about Mexican insurance, though, is that it will pay to have your wreckage towed out of Mexico if your car is totaled -- obligatory by customs laws.

If you drive to Mexico,. phone your US insurer and suspend your US coverage, for a full per diem rebate. In a month, that could be enough to pay your Mexican insurance.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,411,593 times
In some states like California when a car is sold the plate goes with the car. The uninsured buyer who doesn't transfer the paperwork sometimes does not have a drivers license and may be an illegal.

In more enlightened states the plate stays with the seller.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,270,606 times
It’s all about priorities, and a huge number of people’s priorities are skewed big time where driving responsibly is concerned. Those forms at the DMV where you have to confirm insurance coverage are a joke. I think you should have to present proof of current coverage when renewing your tags, and that insurance companies should be mandated by law to report to the DMV when someone allows their coverage to lapse.

Of course, none of this will happen but it’s fun to dream.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM

9,449 posts, read 11,204,667 times
^^As noted above, 30 minutes of LivePD or COPS will show that often alleged perps do not have DLs. It's a standing joke in our house.

People make minor mistakes--no turn signal, no full stop, broken taillight, light bulb out--or do something just a little hinky and they get pulled over. And that can lead to BIG TROUBLE.

Of course they pick the most interesting ones for air time. But it's amazing how many knuckleheads have five or 10 DWIs, Lord knows how many suspensions or just a permanent ban, or never even bothered to get a DL in the first place.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
40% of drivers are uninsured in my state (According to my Insurance Agent who is on the State Traffic committee)

Proof of Insurance is not required to get plates.
Most of my Neighbors do not have DL (for various reasons...)

Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,683,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
One partial solution might be to have proof of insurance before being able to buy gasoline. Granted, there would be ways around it, not to mention a huge public outcry.
This wouldn't work unless gas stations were linked to the insuance or dmv databases. Tons of people allow their insurance to lapse but still have seeming valid proof of insurance on paper.

I think some people actually think the police won't confirm coverage if you show a card that is current.

What I do think is probably pretty effective in busting people are license plate scanners.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:28 PM

757 posts, read 840,816 times
The nation at large is breaking down whereby the rule of law means less and less. Insurance is just one of those. Who cares?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
And that's not even counting the number of drivers who are under insured with 3rd party coverage.

That just blows my mind.
That's what uninsured motorist coverage, is for.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 PM

30,209 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah my policy covers 75 miles south of the border, beyond that you need insurance from a Mexican company.
From what I understand from a friend who lives south of the border in a border city. Mexican drivers are not required to have auto insurance but if you cause an accident you have to pay to have the other car repaired (much lower cost than here) or you can go to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance