Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM

311 posts, read 194,991 times

Advertisements

In my state (Utah) there are a few non- or quasi-non-standard auto carriers.

The General
Kemper Auto (Kemper Specialty changed its name after buying Infinity)
Gainsco
Dairyland
Bristol West
Progressive
Esurance
State Auto

These are the companies that will take you if you have had no prior insurance or have had a lapse of some sort. Other companies (Travelers, Sublimity, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, Mutual of Enumclaw, etc.) either won't take you at all if you have a lapse or surcharge you so heavily that it's not worth your time.

State Auto and Kemper Auto have great rates at the moment. But next year things may be different. Who knows?

I have state minimum coverage + $1,000 deductible on my comp and collision. I drive safely. My rates are about $55 a month (thank you Sublimity), and I don't get into accidents.

There was a time in my life when I drove (for three years) on a suspended license with no insurance. During that time, I had no tickets and no accidents. One month after getting my license back and getting insured, I got a speeding ticket. I was no longer driving as carefully as I had been driving when I knew that one mistake would result in my car getting impounded.

So there's definitely a morale risk in being insured. Everyone has a different risk tolerance. Some people love iPhones, others love Samsung, and still others have an old Nokia flip phone that has no Internet capability. Insurance is the same. It's not one-size fits all.

Don't get me wrong. I recommend that all of my clients buy as much insurance as they can. But part of that is because it benefits my pocketbook. Plus, I don't want anyone to come back and say that I encouraged them to buy a lower amount when they needed a higher amount.

Who needs to get sued for errors and omissions? Not I. Plus, the price difference between... let's say 100/300/100 and 250/500/250 is negligible. Of course, there's a good reason that it's negligible. The chance that you'll need the extra coverage is very low.

The vast majority of policies I write are state minimum policies. We make those people sign a disclosure/disclaimer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:16 PM

987 posts, read 781,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Does anyone actually insure with them due to all their annoying commercials?

I got a quote from them not long ago and their rates were 3X what Geico was offering! I couldn't believe it. Plus they wanted a 1 year commitment and not 6 months like others. Of course I said HELL NO!

Can't believe anyone insures with them.
The General is known as sub-prime insurance for drivers with DUI's and bad credit , from what I know.
My friend who has had 3 DUI's swears by The General. I have 1 DUI from 2015, and I have Kemper Insurance now. I used to have State Farm, but not anymore.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
They don't seem to insure all cars, either.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:27 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
In my state (Utah) there are a few non- or quasi-non-standard auto carriers.

The General
Kemper Auto (Kemper Specialty changed its name after buying Infinity)
Gainsco
Dairyland
Bristol West
Progressive
Esurance
State Auto

These are the companies that will take you if you have had no prior insurance or have had a lapse of some sort. Other companies (Travelers, Sublimity, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, Mutual of Enumclaw, etc.) either won't take you at all if you have a lapse or surcharge you so heavily that it's not worth your time.

State Auto and Kemper Auto have great rates at the moment. But next year things may be different. Who knows?

I have state minimum coverage + $1,000 deductible on my comp and collision. I drive safely. My rates are about $55 a month (thank you Sublimity), and I don't get into accidents.

There was a time in my life when I drove (for three years) on a suspended license with no insurance. During that time, I had no tickets and no accidents. One month after getting my license back and getting insured, I got a speeding ticket. I was no longer driving as carefully as I had been driving when I knew that one mistake would result in my car getting impounded.

So there's definitely a morale risk in being insured. Everyone has a different risk tolerance. Some people love iPhones, others love Samsung, and still others have an old Nokia flip phone that has no Internet capability. Insurance is the same. It's not one-size fits all.

Don't get me wrong. I recommend that all of my clients buy as much insurance as they can. But part of that is because it benefits my pocketbook. Plus, I don't want anyone to come back and say that I encouraged them to buy a lower amount when they needed a higher amount.

Who needs to get sued for errors and omissions? Not I. Plus, the price difference between... let's say 100/300/100 and 250/500/250 is negligible. Of course, there's a good reason that it's negligible. The chance that you'll need the extra coverage is very low.

The vast majority of policies I write are state minimum policies. We make those people sign a disclosure/disclaimer.
We don't write state minimum coverage! It's not the market we want to be in. I suppose it's better than nothing, but a responsible individual would and should have more coverage.

Also, Progressive is NOT a non-standard company. It's actually one of the largest insurance carriers in the country and is considered a standard carrier. The fact they will take almost anyone is because they are large enough to accept to risk. Of course, they will rate the heck out of you if your record is not considered good or if you need an SR22, but they will insure you!

Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 PM

From https://www.progressive.com/about/history/

"In 1956, Progressive Casualty Company was formed to write auto insurance for high-risk drivers."

That's right, folks—at one point Progressive wrote ONLY non-standard policies. And Progressive still does write to the non-standard market. Let's compare Kemper Auto, State Auto, Progressive, and Travelers in terms of non-standard auto practices:

Kemper Auto:
SR-22? Yes
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? Yes
Reckless drivers? Yes
Fleeing the police? Yes
DUIs? Yes
Foreign licenses? Yes
Bad credit? Yes
2+ Accidents? Yes
2+ Tickets? Yes

Progressive:
SR-22? Yes
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? Yes
Reckless drivers? Yes
Fleeing the police? Yes
DUIs? Yes
Foreign Licenses? No
Bad Credit? Yes
2+ Accidents? Sometimes
2+ Tickets? Sometimes

State Auto:
SR-22? No.
Lapsed insurance? Yes
Suspended licenses? No.
Reckless Drivers? Sometimes
Fleeing the police? No.
DUIs? Sometimes
Foreign Licenses? Yes
Bad credit? Yes
2+ accidents? Sometimes
2+ tickets? Yes

Travelers:
SR-22? No
Lapsed insurance? No.
Suspended licenses? No.
Reckless drivers? No.
Fleeing the police? No.
DUIs? No.
Foreign licenses? No.
Bad credit: Sometimes
2+ Accidents? Sometimes
2+ Tickets? Sometimes

Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Non standard insurance is for drivers who are unable to obtain insurance through the typical methods. ... Today many insurance companies such as Geico, Progressive, State Farm, and Allstate offer both forms of coverage, so they are able to serve all customers with the appropriate product.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Non-standard auto insurance is a term to classify insurance sold to drivers whose risk factors makes it difficult or impossible to obtain insurance at standard or preferred rates.

I have never failed to get an insurance quote for a potential insured. Even a guy with no prior insurance, fresh out of prison, with two convictions for reckless driving and one for evading the police got a quote... and it wasn't bad! Only $180 a month. I expected more.

Of course, I've never tried to insure someone with a conviction for vehicular manslaughter.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:40 AM

14,410 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
Non-standard auto insurance is a term to classify insurance sold to drivers whose risk factors makes it difficult or impossible to obtain insurance at standard or preferred rates.

I have never failed to get an insurance quote for a potential insured. Even a guy with no prior insurance, fresh out of prison, with two convictions for reckless driving and one for evading the police got a quote... and it wasn't bad! Only $180 a month. I expected more.

Of course, I've never tried to insure someone with a conviction for vehicular manslaughter.
I believe the SR 22 program requires that auto insurance be provided for every licensed driver. They should all be able to get someone to cover them.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I get that, but I find an attraction to the "risk-taker." You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Won't get rich by not taking risks. And, while I make fun of fast food and chains/franchises for "how stupid they are" in being cheap.. I employ similar thought processes when confronted with this whole "Insurance is great" thing.

But... I maintain that insurance is generally a rip, and those that like it tend to be insurance agents and cops.

Hope this helps!

(And you can make fun of me all you want.. I don't care. If I ever get caught driving with no insurance, then i'll spend the money on what insurance would have cost on a lawyer. I am genius-level thinker.. Sorry if this does not gel with societal norms.) Love y'all, and thanks.
No, it didn't help anyone.

Once you get out of your teens, you'll have a different outlook on life.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:17 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,576,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, it didn't help anyone.

Once you get out of your teens, you'll have a different outlook on life.

Fairly useless post.. Grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance