Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times

Advertisements

State Farm, you call whomever you want, save the receipt, and give it to your agent -- he cuts you a check on the spot.

You (might) get what you pay for (sometimes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,180,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
State Farm, you call whomever you want, save the receipt, and give it to your agent -- he cuts you a check on the spot.

You (might) get what you pay for (sometimes).
$60 max reimbursement, that's what I was told and they bitched about that at the time as I had it towed home rather than the "closest repair facility". How the hell are you supposed to know where you are taking the thoing when it's totally dead?

It was such a joke I cancelled that part of my policy with State Farm.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I've used Progressive for over a decade and have nothing but good experience (and the lowest prices) with them during that time period. As others have said, no company actually employs their own roadside assistance team. It's all contracted out whether you get the service from your insurance company, AAA, or your auto manufacturer.
It's interesting you mentioned low prices. I have gotten multiple quotes from Progressive the 20 years I've been driving and they have NEVER been lowest. Ever. I've always botten the best rate from Geico. And great service. Even after I had a bad car wreck in my new car while having an epileptic seizure (which had not been diagnosed as full blown epilepsy, otherwise I wouldn't have been driving in the first place), Geico wrote off the wreck as a no fault accident and didn't ding me on my rates. Sweet

Old 02-14-2015, 07:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,800,998 times
Nope, been with them for over 15 years and if this really happened, then call progressive and tell them about it !!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 AM

24,516 posts, read 17,265,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Nope, been with them for over 15 years and if this really happened, then call progressive and tell them about it !!

She did call them to complain and a bit later the guy came back with a changed attitude and did jump the car.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,004,379 times
You should be obtaining your vehicle insurance from a local insurance agency. Not by viewing those very expensive television commercials.

Amica is one of the better ones.
USAA is another excellent choice.

If using the direct non agent route.

I always go to a local auto body shop - and ask the owner/manager which auto insurance company is the best/easiest to work with. The body shops know.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM

4,065 posts, read 5,650,128 times
I've had Progressive for quite a few years and they've been great! Except for the last time...they had me go to their repair facility for an estimate. The estimate was low (unfortunately it would have all fallen under my deductible, so they wouldn't pay), then they wanted to keep the car for 3 whole days just to fix a minor dent on the bumper! No way...we live in the country and I wouldn't even have been provided transportation back home and days later, back into the city to pick it up!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Basically auto insurance is regulated as to cost by states. What you get in most cases is what you buy. Cutting service like having collision estimate center one brings car to and not adjusters who come out as well as other services can save money under that system like any other fixed system.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,148,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I've had Progressive for quite a few years and they've been great! Except for the last time...they had me go to their repair facility for an estimate. The estimate was low (unfortunately it would have all fallen under my deductible, so they wouldn't pay), then they wanted to keep the car for 3 whole days just to fix a minor dent on the bumper! No way...we live in the country and I wouldn't even have been provided transportation back home and days later, back into the city to pick it up!
It is never advisable to make an auto insurance claim for something minor.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Not sure why you picked out Geico or Progressive. All insurance company are the same. One may have a better CS instance than others. The bottom line is CS is bad overall in most companies. I happen to be a Geico customer for last 15 years. Never been a problem with any of my claims.
I used to think the same way until I switched to USAA. Every time I call them, I almost feel embarrassed at how pleasant they are and how much they go out of their way to actually help me rather than reading back my problems in a jargony way of making me feel helped without actually doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance