Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 AM

781 posts, read 744,817 times

Advertisements

We have State Farm and I think they are overcharging us too. Time to start shopping around for better rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,876,500 times
State Farm is a bit high I know, but the times I've checked on coverage with other companies, I would only be saving a few dollars a month. Not worth it to me based on the excellent service I've received on the 5 claims we've had - 4 auto and 1 home. Every time I got more than I expected in settlement and claims have been quick. They hit my mark and were actually above what I paid for the car 2-1/2 years prior, on my totaled car. On the last claim, they took care of everything since it ended up being uninsured motorist coverage and they are suing the responsible party.

One thing to watch out for when going to another company - make sure the coverage is equal. Many policies are so cheap now since they are only covering the named drivers on the policy. I got hit by this on the last claim. The owner of the truck that hit my son had insurance, but since it was the boyfriend of the owner driving it, and he was not on the policy, they refused coverage. Conversely, my State Farm policy will cover any licensed driver I allow to drive my vehicles, no matter if they are on the policy or not. My agent told me they have been experiencing a lot more policies like this from other companies and it could bite the owner real bad if the non listed driver happened to total the vehicle.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yes, we're dropping them also after 15 years. Over $2M worth of assets insured with those clowns and they still can't get the basics right.

They dropped my dirt bike insurance without my knowledge. They try to worm their way out of every claim. Manager took a month (seriously) to call me back regarding a claim on our house.

I no longer trust them, which is kind of important when you're an insurance company.
The thing is, I think being an insurance agent could be a very satisfying job. Our long time SF agent took the time to visit us once a year and review our coverage. He cared. When a customer had a serious loss, like a fire, he was there asap, offering support and guidance. He built up a loyal client base, by looking for avenues to save them money. In other words, instead of making money by over coverage, he made money through customer trust and loyalty.
By the time he retired, he was not allowed to turn his business over to the person of his choosing. His clients were split up between a bunch of agents by SF.
Not sure if the company's policy of doing this has had the effect of lack of lasting relationships.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,339,597 times
Shouldn't this topic be in the "Relationships" forum?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 PM

358 posts, read 445,251 times
Have you seen the State Farm commercial where the young girl driver hits a car, then in panic backs up and hits another? The narrator with the deep voice says something to the effect you can trust State Farm to be there.

This exact same thing happened to my son when he first started driving. He was in an accident and so shook up afterward that he sideswiped a parked car as he left to come home. State Farm dropped us completely.

I had been with them for home, life, and car for 15 years with no at fault accidents and maybe two speeding tickets all that time.

I switched to Progressive and never looked back.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
I've been very happy with Farm Bureau. No gimmicks or hoops to jump through, just good rates and service. I only pay $50 a month for full coverage

Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,876,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
By the time he retired, he was not allowed to turn his business over to the person of his choosing. His clients were split up between a bunch of agents by SF.
Not sure if the company's policy of doing this has had the effect of lack of lasting relationships.
This is true. My original agent passed away, and they would not let his daughter and son in law just take over all of his clients, even though they worked in his office and basically ran it for the past several years. I had to call and request to be assigned to them when I got a letter telling me my "new" agent's name! That did kind of make me mad and does not make any sense for retention of existing business.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,717 times
One does need to try different companies. Neither Flo or the cavemen really helped me by much, but Liberty Mutual really came in at a rate I couldn't ignore. When being a BMW owner drops the price by $30 a month you really need to pay attention!

As for coverage, I am actually covered better by LM that SF. I had scrimped on some coverage with SF, example, with SF no broad coverage on the comp/collision/ no comp/collision on the Mercedes 380SL, and coverage bumped up to double the minimums, cuz the minimums won't cover you safely any more. If LM does jack up my rates at the end of 12 months, well, I'll go shopping again. It's not rocket science, and these days loyalty means only that you are a sucker, I'm afraid.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,109,568 times
In my case, loyalty has paid off. I have a perfect driving record; no accidents, claims, or tickets for the past 20 years. For quite a while I was with an auto insurance broker who shopped around among several companies for me every year and was able to save me some money a couple of times. Five years ago, State Farm gave me an excellent quote which my broker couldn't even come close to matching. My broker warned me that if I take it, State Farm has a habit of raising their rates on new customers shortly after they get them on board, using some excuse. I told him that I hate to leave him, but I'll take that chance, and if that happens to me I will be right back to him. I went with State Farm and I have been happy with them for the past five years.

On my five year anniversary with State Farm last fall, I got a lowball quote from esurance. I made the mistake of switching to esurance, thinking I would be saving a few dollars. What a mistake that was!! First, the quote was actually higher when the same amount of coverage was compared. However, the big problem was that esurance cancelled me without warning about a week into the policy. I had no idea what the problem was, or that there even was a problem until I had a long conversation with a "lady" (and I use that term loosely) in esurance service department. She claimed that I lied on the insurance application by not telling them about the teenagers that I had living with me. She wanted to know if they would be driving the car. I have no teenagers living with me. She claimed that I do because they found it on public records that they pulled on me. I have no teenagers anywhere, period!!! She said that they can't write the policy because I wasn't being truthful.

I immediately switched back to State Farm, and fortunately was able to still get their good driver and long time customer discounts because I was away from them for less than 30 days. I don't think I will ever leave State Farm again. I wouldn't advise anyone to go with esurance.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:46 PM

802 posts, read 1,368,502 times
I`m with state farm and their service is very bad.
Ive been in accident couple of years back and my agent was acting like my enemy trying to blame me.
other guy who hit my car had Geico and they were actually nicer and much more helpful than my insurance. they fixed my car paid rental fees and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance