Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 12:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times

Advertisements

Well, I woke up in the ICU as part of getting diagnosed with Lymphoma. So, I get what she's talking about with being more harmed just in the diagnostics phase. I essentially died and was brought back. I'm not going to go into details. Just know that just all the diagnostics including CT scans and PET scans can mess with you DNA also.

Be aware that the cancer industry is where the money is in healthcare also. $100k all in getting diagnosed and I have been watch and wait for 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
I thoroughly trust medical science in treating cancer... and no it's not some kind of conspiracy or scam.

We all live in a world full of toxins... everything including the air, food, water, etc is tainted with chemicals, micro plastics.. you name it. Then we voluntarily ingest obviously dangerous things - cigs, alcohol, junk food... etc. Then we sit on the sofa and watch WWE while downing another few beers.

After a lifetime of abusing our bodies of course we get cancer and other ailments.

Of course big pharma makes big $$$ on cancer treatment, but so does Apple on their iPhones and iMacs. It's not some kind of conspiracy, it's our great capitalistic system at play.

The list does show some weird nonsensical treatments... but I agree with one of the posters - positive thoughts or thinking does help. Though I doubt it will cure you.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:18 PM

Whatever dude. I guess you did not watch your mother get carved into pieces and die in front of you when you were ten years old. So, good for you as you can have your delusions. The rest of us live in the real world.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:39 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Whatever dude. I guess you did not watch your mother get carved into pieces and die in front of you when you were ten years old. So, good for you as you can have your delusions. The rest of us live in the real world.
I'm really curious about what aspect of being diagnosed with lymphoma caused you to code.

I do have a friend who almost died after being diagnosed with leukemia. She went into her first chemo treatment without realizing that the severe tooth pain she'd been having for a while was actually an abcess. The chemo wiped out her white blood cells, and the infection in the tooth took over her body. She was on the verge of dying from sepsis before the antibiotics they gave her kicked in.

However, she did recover and she was cured of the leukemia, too. But if you are going to have chemo and are experiencing any pain anywhere, better let your doctors know about it before you let them treat you.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,057 times
It can be difficult dealing with a cancer diagnosis and the route to get there. It varies from individual to individual along with the type of lymphoma one has.

Typically the way one deals with stress is via personality trait and beliefs. One becomes more or less tolerant or less tolerant based on those traits.

When I hear a statement like cancer industry is where the money is can be considered good based on the attention the disease is getting. It also means newer treatments that can tend to be expensive. However, the second part of that or what typically follows in some is that the so called cancer industry does not want to find a cure and simply wants to make money off of people and that is where beliefs come in.

I hope you have family or close friends that can help you out in talking out and vetting out some issues. Those are serious issues that require time to think about and not knee jerk reactions.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm really curious about what aspect of being diagnosed with lymphoma caused you to code.

I do have a friend who almost died after being diagnosed with leukemia. She went into her first chemo treatment without realizing that the severe tooth pain she'd been having for a while was actually an abcess. The chemo wiped out her white blood cells, and the infection in the tooth took over her body. She was on the verge of dying from sepsis before the antibiotics they gave her kicked in.

However, she did recover and she was cured of the leukemia, too. But if you are going to have chemo and are experiencing any pain anywhere, better let your doctors know about it before you let them treat you.

The diagnostics/surgery. Something went wrong with the anesthesiologist.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It can be difficult dealing with a cancer diagnosis and the route to get there. It varies from individual to individual along with the type of lymphoma one has.

Typically the way one deals with stress is via personality trait and beliefs. One becomes more or less tolerant or less tolerant based on those traits.

When I hear a statement like cancer industry is where the money is can be considered good based on the attention the disease is getting. It also means newer treatments that can tend to be expensive. However, the second part of that or what typically follows in some is that the so called cancer industry does not want to find a cure and simply wants to make money off of people and that is where beliefs come in.

I hope you have family or close friends that can help you out in talking out and vetting out some issues. Those are serious issues that require time to think about and not knee jerk reactions.
$100k was Just a diagnosis. This is based on what my own doctor told me (he was also the director of the department / an administrator)...

Old 12-16-2023, 11:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Definitely something to consider, and have always felt if I ever develop cancer I would seek alternative treatments, or simply nothing at all and accept my fate rather than fund the money machine of modern medicine.

For the same reason I don't plan to ever get a mammogram which has the potential to squish and mutate what might otherwise be a benign growth, fueling a malignancy from the force of the compression. The whole breast cancer campaign is a racket.

I'm not a medical practitioner of any sort, but my own experience makes me think you might want to reconsider.

I skipped mammograms, and physical exams altogether, for about four years from age 39 to 43. I was healthy, had never had any chronic health problem; I just didn't bother. Also, no one in my family had had breast cancer.

I hope that what happened to me will never happen to you. It may not; I just don't happen to think that

I had a rude awakening when I finally went in for that overdue routine physical in 1999: the doctor detected breast lumps. She put my finger on them - I could not feel them. She did a mammogram and then an ultrasound to double-check. There was definitely something there that should not have been there.

Turned out to be a grade 2 tumor, infiltrating the margins of lymph nodes on the right (or something like that). So begin my medical odyssey of double radical mastectomy, removal of lymph nodes, "aggressive" chemotherapy, reconstruction, and radiation. I was assured that there was no trace of the cancer remaining and it was unlikely to return.

Well....Come December 2018/January 2019, it did, grown back from what my oncologist believed was a tiny bit of the original cancer that had lain dormant for nearly 20 years. Now, it's no longer curable, and my life might be shortened, because it's in my lungs, metastatic breast cancer stage 4. The tumors that were found are estrogen-reactive, and have been shrunk and almost all eliminated through chemotherapy and an estrogen blocker. I go through CT-scans twice a year and periodic bone scans. I'm one of the lucky ones. Not everyone with this condition makes it five years, and I have good reason to hope for more.

But if I hadn't skipped those physical exams and mammograms back in the 90's, and the original tumors had been found before they infiltrated the lymph nodes, would I be in this situation, or would I be cancer-free and looking forward to living into my 80's rather than facing a huge maybe and "We don't know" from my oncologist? I personally think I would have had a much better chance of stopping the metastatic form of the disease long before it occurred, even if I'd had a mammogram a year or two earlier when I was 41 or 42 instead of 43.

I hope that what happened to me never happens to you. But I certainly don't believe that "whole breast cancer campaign is a racket". I doubt that any compression caused by mammograms would have worse effect on a malignant tumor than just leaving it unseen, to grow and interfere with your health.

Last edited by Regina14; 12-16-2023 at 11:45 PM..

Old 12-17-2023, 10:40 AM

1,126 posts, read 607,749 times
@Regina14: I am glad that you caught it on time and had the proper medical help to keep you healthy. Like you stated many people are too late.

To state that this whole cancer treatment thing is a "racket" is sad. I understand that many people have had cancer destroy their lives / loved ones and have developed paranoid thoughts concerning the whole thing.

But it is irresponsible to spread such nonsense to encourage people not to seek treatment or check ups.

Regina, I hope that you stay healthy and live a good life. Those CT scans (and bone scans) are a bit of an inconvenience, but a small price to pay to ensure that you are okay.

BTW surprised that they don't do MRI's instead of CT scans. Even though the radioactive levels are low, they are still not advised for regular scans.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:02 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
To state that this whole cancer treatment thing is a "racket" is sad. I understand that many people have had cancer destroy their lives / loved ones and have developed paranoid thoughts concerning the whole thing.

But it is irresponsible to spread such nonsense to encourage people not to seek treatment or check ups.
This is well said.

It is unfortunately true that often cancer is simply discovered too late to be curable. And some types of cancer are basically intractible no matter when they are discovered. We still have a lot more to learn about treating cancer.

And it is also true that many patients choose aggressive treatment which will severely lower the quality of their remaining lives while offering a very low chance of curing them. While it is always the patient's choice (or their family's, if they are underage or incapacitated), I think we can all agree that it is sad to see someone choosing to suffer even more over what will almost certainly be their last days. We went through this with my father-in-law, who insisted on a difficult chemo regimen for his pancreatic cancer instead of palliative care and hospice.

However, cancer treatment has come a long, long way. I can't speak for everyone, but I was always told first of all what the potential side effects of my treatment would be, the whole laundry list, and secondly exactly what the expectations were. My tumors were found early when they were curable. I didn't need a miracle, just good effective treatment, which i got.

It was a completely different situation from the person who is found to have an advanced, almost certainly incurable condition. I agree that it is irresponsible to put all types and stages of cancer in the same bucket and tell people that they shouldn't treat a cancer which is found early, or screen for common cancers that can be easily found when they are readily curable.

And frankly, it is extremely sad to hear people say that if they got cancer--any cancer--they would reject standard treatment. I've known three people who refused to have their operable tumors removed surgivally or who refused followup chemo and/or radiation. They were convinced that alternative treatments would be safer and more effective, and, of course, that standard medical treatment is "a racket." All three of them died of that cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer