Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 04:06 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,514,636 times

Advertisements

While there has been multiple observational studies saying different things, this Norwegian study found time spent outdoors was not associated with developing skin cancer: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91743521001407

However this multi-center study did: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jdv.13603

However, sun exposure is GOOD for your overall even if it may increase your risk of skin cancer (it decreases your risk of other cancers). This study found that 340,000 Americans die prematurely due to insufficient sun exposure: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7400257/ .

In contrast, around 8,000 Americans die of skin cancer every year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 8,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Mon View Post
I partly agree, sometimes doctors are at fault. But diagnosis is a complicated matter and that's what the doctors themselves say. A doctor told us that at least half of any changes in the skin after the age of 40 should be considered as a potential pre-cancer. And what and when it will turn into skin cancer is difficult to predict. Doctors not only visually have difficulty in diagnosis, they write that the biopsy may not show immediately accurate results. In this article it is briefly shown that there are difficulties with diagnosis. it's easy to get confused and make mistakes

USEFUL ARTICLES
That's the thing, my brother saw a redness and swelling on the skin that seemed very suspicious to him. He went to the doctor and he said that he didn't see anything dangerous, but he ordered a biopsy. The biopsy showed solar keratosis. Treatment didn't help, and later a repeat biopsy showed squamous cancer. Yeah, biopsies aren't accurate either. I understand this to mean that until the doctors notice some transformations and obvious changes on the skin, they wait, and before that do not give importance to everything that is pointed out to them on the skin, apparently not to waste their time, and take more patients.

Old 09-02-2023, 12:04 AM

44,651 posts, read 61,691,885 times
Doctors are licensed to 'practice', not know everything. The older they get the more experienced they are.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:02 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,243,878 times
Interesting stats about skin cancer globally. What struck me was that while Australia has a slightly higher rate of skin cancer than New Zealand, the death rate from skin cancer in Australia is half of that of New Zealand.

Melanoma skin cancer rates
Rank Country ASR*/100,000

1 Australia 36.6
2 New Zealand 31.6
3 Denmark 29.7
4 The Netherlands 27.0
5 Norway 26.4
6 Sweden 23.3
7 Switzerland 21.6
8 Germany 20.5
9 Slovenia 19.7
10 Finland 19.5

Melanoma skin cancer deaths

1 New Zealand 4.7
2 Norway 3.2
3 Montenegro 3.0
4 Slovakia 2.8
5 Slovenia 2.6
6 Australia 2.4
7 Denmark 2.4
8 Croatia 2.4
9 The Netherlands 2.3
10 Serbia 2.3

*ASR = age-standardised rates. These are a summary measure of the rate of disease that a population would have if it had a standard age structure. Standardisation is necessary when comparing populations that differ with respect to age because age has a powerful influence on the risk of dying from cancer.

https://www.wcrf.org/cancer-trends/s...er-statistics/

Old 09-07-2023, 06:11 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,514,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Interesting stats about skin cancer globally. What struck me was that while Australia has a slightly higher rate of skin cancer than New Zealand, the death rate from skin cancer in Australia is half of that of New Zealand.

Melanoma skin cancer rates

1 Australia 36.6
2 New Zealand 31.6
3 Denmark 29.7
4 The Netherlands 27.0
5 Norway 26.4
6 Sweden 23.3
7 Switzerland 21.6
8 Germany 20.5
9 Slovenia 19.7
10 Finland 19.5

Melanoma skin cancer deaths

1 New Zealand 4.7
2 Norway 3.2
3 Montenegro 3.0
4 Slovakia 2.8
5 Slovenia 2.6
6 Australia 2.4
7 Denmark 2.4
8 Croatia 2.4
9 The Netherlands 2.3
10 Serbia 2.3

*ASR = age-standardised rates. These are a summary measure of the rate of disease that a population would have if it had a standard age structure. Standardisation is necessary when comparing populations that differ with respect to age because age has a powerful influence on the risk of dying from cancer.

https://www.wcrf.org/cancer-trends/s...er-statistics/
very interesting, thanks for posting.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:22 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,652,037 times
The first Basal Cell Cancer I had was not biopsied by two different PCP doctors. The first burned ot "off", bit it returned. Said don't worry. Changed insurance, second doctor said doesn't look like cancer. Went to detmatologist, said looked like skin cancer. The Basal Cell Carcinoma wad removed.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:24 AM

4,066 posts, read 5,652,037 times
BTW, I've noe had eight skin cancer removed so far. Only one was not on my face.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,207,056 times
I have had many solar keratosis spots burned, mostly on my face, but some on my arms. I had a spot on my forehead, he said. I could not even see it. He sprayed it lightly and it did not heal up. Had to go back in and it was biopsied and was squamous cell, so had to have Mohs. It seemed like the freezing just aggravated it, as it was not applied thoroughly enough to take care of it, apparently. I also use Efudex several times a year. They have a blue light treatment that is sounding like a better option than the Efudex, which must be applied for 21 days.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:27 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,535,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
very interesting, thanks for posting.
As Australia has such a high rate of skin cancer there is a high awareness of it. Though I would have thought the same would apply for New Zealand. 70% of the population here end up with some sort of skin cancer, though that includes BCCs and SCCs.

If you do not get them treated they will not go away, so most people prefer to get them dealt with. There are numerous skin doctors, who are GPs who only deal with skin cancer, as well as dermatologists and plastic surgeons. Having skin checks and treatments is generally regarded more of a nuisance than something to fear.

I had a BCC diagnosed recently by a skin doctor, who could have removed it. But I chose to pay extra to go to a plastic surgeon as it was on my jaw. I am red-headed and have had to avoid too much sun my whole life. Like many, I take vitamin C tablets. Keep in mind that our very strong sun causes the skin to age badly as well. We were on a tour last year and the Americans were mostly overweight and the Aussies were mostly wrinkly!

Generally there is a compromise between competing issues with health care. The official advice here is being modified to account for the very different rates of skin cancer between people with different coloured skin.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:35 AM

7,287 posts, read 5,170,467 times
This may seem counter-intuitive to those not comfortable with mathematics, but the cancer rates & death rates given in the earlier post show that there is NO difference in the various countries listed. They all fall within 2 SDs of the mean, ie- statistically identical..,It's kinda like a home run hit into the upper deck vs one that only lands in the basket at Wrigley-- the long one is more impressive but they both only count equally for one run.

BTW-- GP & NPs refer you for biopsies because their malpractice ins may not cover them for biopsies and also to spread that liability around. They probably don't have training to do biopsies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer