Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:09 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times

Advertisements

While one might scoff at the idea the two places have anything in common, I think there actually a lot of parallels. Both have strong Scottish and Irish influence, as well as English and especially in one region (Louisiana and Quebec) French. Both have a complicated relationship with the American government which varies from love to hate. Southerners and Canadians are also both highly fond of whiskey.

I'd also posit the "hoser" culture shares quite a bit in common with southern redneck culture. Newfoundland's accent has strong similarities to the Tidewater accent of North Carolina/Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Yes there are some similarities, especially with the Acadians, and being more British, but they don't seem that significant.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM

43 posts, read 65,257 times
I can see this to an extent, western Canadians and southern Americans in particular (I'm really generalizing) seem proudly anti-government (even when both are involved in electing the government) and obsessed with freedoms.

However, as for Anglo heritage, because of its retention of Canada, Anglo symbols are much more in your face in Canada outside of Quebec than the American South.

Really I'm surprised (and disappointed) we didn't keep the flag with the location of the union flag similar to Australia and New Zealand (who are having a referendum about it) but red background instead and with a fleur-de-lis in the coat of arms.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post

I'd also posit the "hoser" culture shares quite a bit in common with southern redneck culture.
I've never heard of a hoser culture existing beyond the Depression Era of the 1930's and it occurs to me that hoser might mean something completely different now from what it meant 80 years and more ago. So could you please define what a hoser culture is considered to be now?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:55 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've never heard of a hoser culture existing beyond the Depression Era of the 1930's and it occurs to me that hoser might mean something completely different now from what it meant 80 years and more ago. So could you please define what a hoser culture is considered to be now?

Uh, Bob and Doug McKenzie?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain N' Hail View Post
I can see this to an extent, western Canadians and southern Americans in particular (I'm really generalizing) seem proudly anti-government (even when both are involved in electing the government) and obsessed with freedoms.

However, as for Anglo heritage, because of its retention of Canada, Anglo symbols are much more in your face in Canada outside of Quebec than the American South.

Really I'm surprised (and disappointed) we didn't keep the flag with the location of the union flag similar to Australia and New Zealand (who are having a referendum about it) but red background instead and with a fleur-de-lis in the coat of arms.
I'm glad we changed our flag.

"In 1963, when newly elected Prime Minister Lester Pearson promised to make good on his election promise to give Canada its own, distinct national flag, few would have guessed that the final choice would bear symbols of neither France nor England. Canadian flag history came to a climax with the Great Flag Debate of 1964, which coincided with the rise of separatism in Quebec. The adoption of the maple leaf flag was thus a significant, if symbolic, step toward the creation of a country that was more than sum of its regional and ethnic parts. (The process continues to this day.)"

from

Canadian Flag History

Old 04-06-2014, 02:06 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:

Not me. It was a message sent loud and clear that we are an independent nation.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
They're not a culture, and they are also circa 1980. lol

Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM

43 posts, read 65,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
They aren't realistic and were made to be stereotypical comic representations of Canadians. No real culture exists around the "beauty way to go."

Old 04-06-2014, 02:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
They aren't realistic and were made to be stereotypical comic representations of Canadians. No real culture exists around the "beauty way to go."
…except maybe the beer part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada