Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:12 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Please seek help. Seriously...You need it.
And why you live in Orange county & I in Los Angeles [mere miles away but worlds apart like Nebraska next to Paris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,607 times
I tend to agree with the others that the problem with California regulators is that they make restrictions without offering solutions or a path for transition.

So, the easiest thing for these businesses is to leave and set up shop elsewhere. In turn, California loses whole industries while not developing any new ones that could take up the lost jobs.

California used to have a ton of manufacturing plants, industrial production, but now manufacturing activity has dropped considerably. It would of been fine if all those workers were able to find comparable pay jobs at their skill levels that have a low carbon impact - for example, call centers? or office work? But, these jobs are going by the wayside through outsourcing. California needs to find out how to create middle class jobs that have a low carbon footprint.

But, I do have to give California credit. By instilling stricter than national environmental regulations, California is actually far ahead from a lot of other States in terms of renewable energy use, and have some of the cleanest big metropolitans in the nation (in terms of populous vs. environmental quality - Los Angeles Air quality has drastically improved since the 70s).

So? What does that mean? California may become a very nice place to live in terms of quality of life, but a very expensive and difficult place for the middle class. Hence, why housing and RE is a big industry in California because we have a great "environment". But, as consequence, we get urban sprawl, traffic congestion, etc.

California should give businesses tax credits/breaks for encouraging telecommuting. A large innitiative towards telecommuting would greatly reduce carbon emissions, infrastructure use, oil use, far more than any improvements in automobile technology.

Anyhow, we can't Only build houses and base our industry solely on housing, entertainment, and mortgages/finance as they are all consumption oriented industries. We can't build houses indefinitely and sustain our economic activity. We can't just import all our resources.

How bout we have all the newly unemployed plant trees, and then we can harvest them, and sell them to China because their environment has gone down the ****ter.

We need to figure out our worst environmental and resource weakness. And that is our water source. Those desalination plants that regulators had wanted for so long since 2003 are extremely slow to come online. Are they still? in planning stages?
Water Desalination Task Force (http://www.owue.water.ca.gov/recycle/desal/desal.cfm - broken link)

There is a balance. And a clean, sustainable environment with a clear economic driver will be required. Without taxes, and revenue it'll be extremely difficult to achieve environmental goals. California legistlators have the public long term good at heart... but they need to take things one step at a time. They are regulating three steps ahead before anything has happened on projects they started in the past. They have a board room management problem. They have ideas coming out left and right... but not enough resources or a plan to implement and get things done. Too many projects, not enough revenues. They need to prioritize.

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 04-25-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,228 times
Quote:
[however I fully expect the state\ feds to compensate those displaced from employment just like when homes get bought up to build a freeway].
You're quite naive then. The government will claim to owe these folks nothing because they didn't deal with them directly. The constitution actually states that the government must buy property from a land holder for eminent domain at FMV.

Quote:
Eventually the other ports & places of industry that heavily pollute the air will follow the regulations that Los Angeles requires.
No, they won't.

Quote:
Whether a few get screwed for the greater good of improved air quality is well-worth the cost. Those of us who have lived in Los Angeles for many decades know how the air quality has improved steadily yet we still remain the smoggiest city in the nation. There is no way Angelenos are going to allow any backsliding when it come to our environment.
Well, I don't know if the person being fired will agree with you. I mean, are you willing to do YOUR part and give him/her your job so that he won't try to find underground work spraying aerosol cans into the air or dumping nuclear sludge into the lake to get someone's jollies off?

Quote:
Ultimately this is a moral issue. Governor Schwarzenegger has committed California into taking ever more urgent actions to counter the contamination of the human imprint on an increasingly fragile planet. We should be proud
Yeah, you see, that's why you enviros scare me. Your arguments aren't based off logic but instead based off of emotion and "morality." Just like the smoking nazis, MADD, anti-abortionists, gay-bashers, religion, etc.. You put all your trust and energy into the cause because some guy tells you you're "doing the right thing" and that you ARE moral before promptly asking for money. You like to get a pat on the head or your balls scratched because YOU ARE SOOOO GOOD! You demand your ego be stroked. And, if anyone confronts you with a different opinion (or even FACTS) you must protect your ego by name calling them. But, that's not what YOU think... you think everyone else is selfish, because they're not for the cause no matter what.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
and have some of the cleanest big metropolitans in the nation (in terms of populous vs. environmental quality - Los Angeles Air quality has drastically improved since the 70s).
I really think this is BS, no offense. I've DEFINITELY seen cleaner LARGE places than LA-SoCal, SF, or the Inland Empire. They are VERY dirty. San Diego is the only clean place I can think of.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 AM

233 posts, read 701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Republicans are ugly\ selfish\ anti-intelligent morons & really have no place in California! Thank God.
Sustitute blacks, Jews, women, Muslims, etc and the poster would be in serious trouble I imagine. The rest of the post was the most hateful sanctimonious liberal babble I have ever had the misfortune to read. Now the liberal elite can get back to molding California into a bankrupt state of anarchy.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
runningncircles1 Yeah, you see, that's why you enviros scare me. Your arguments aren't based off logic but instead based off of emotion and "morality." Just like the smoking nazis, MADD, anti-abortionists, gay-bashers, religion, etc.. You put all your trust and energy into the cause because some guy tells you you're "doing the right thing" and that you ARE moral before promptly asking for money. You like to get a pat on the head or your balls scratched because YOU ARE SOOOO GOOD! You demand your ego be stroked. And, if anyone confronts you with a different opinion (or even FACTS) you must protect your ego by name calling them. But, that's not what YOU think... you think everyone else is selfish, because they're not for the cause no matter what.
"balls scratched" I'll scratch my own balls, thank you very much!

Well, this essentially is nothing than a "rant" thread because the environmental direction California is committed to will not change or be reversed by "know nothing" "do nothing" Republicans who are barely 25% of California voters. Evermore stricter regulations & change is inevitable [ie battery-powered autos\ solar energy\ high-speed rail\ preservation of wild lands-natural habitats\ population control, etc.

"As California goes so goes the nation"

Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
L.A.'s air is not clean, imo, but it's waaaaay cleaner than what it was back in the 70's. I'm sure there are websites that speak of the difference and give pictures that illustrate this.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
L.A.'s air is not clean, imo, but it's waaaaay cleaner than what it was back in the 70's. I'm sure there are websites that speak of the difference and give pictures that illustrate this.
When I relocated back to California after college in the late 1970's I moved to LA & seriously reconsidered not living here [appalled by the horrible air quality]. I stayed but hated the days when my throat would hurt & eyes watered. The change has been very impressive & due to rather significant regulations imposed by the state. We are much happier citizens & will never allow air quality to deteriorate but rather demand a healthier environment for us & our grandchildren. It is the right thing to do, the only thing to do.

If a miner willingly works in an unhealthy hole in the ground than it is his choice of risk getting "black lung." Angelenos are not willing to take that risk!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
"As California goes so goes the nation"
Yeah, and native Californians have been leaving the state for years. I guess that means the rest of the nation is detracted from it? And that gay marriage will never be legalized. Damn. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of whiny ex-SoCal ******* and can't get married.

Quote:
Well, this essentially is nothing than a "rant" thread because the environmental direction California is committed to will not change or be reversed by "know nothing" "do nothing" Republicans who are barely 25% of California voters. Evermore stricter regulations & change is inevitable [ie battery-powered autos\ solar energy\ high-speed rail\ preservation of wild lands-natural habitats\ population control, etc.
No one wants to live in that bankrupt hellhole anymore. You think smog is your biggest problem? Maybe in the 70s...

No, you're facing more dire problems now that have nothing to do with Republican vs. Democrat bull**** people like to pull on here. You have uncontrollable inflation (more coming soon), median incomes that cannot cover a lifestyle of POVERTY let alone a decent lifestyle, a large homeless population, high unemployment, high crime, high teenage pregnancy rate, crumbling infrastructure, a ****ty school system that is worse off that the US as a whole (and that is bad), an economy that has been regulated and taxed into the ground, mounting debts, a workforce that is becoming less educated and unable to bring in as much tax revenue... I think you get the picture. The only thing keeping California afloat is Silicon Valley and some farming. During the housing boom, there was a large mortgage industry in SoCal, but that gravy train is dry. So, yeah, the only thing California has left to produce is facebook webpages, Google calendars, and at one point, subprime mortgages. Sounds line a wonderful place to live

But, at least you're air won't be (that) dirty!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Yeah, and native Californians have been leaving the state for years. I guess that means the rest of the nation is detracted from it? And that gay marriage will never be legalized. Damn. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of whiny ex-SoCal ******* and can't get married.

No one wants to live in that bankrupt hellhole anymore. You think smog is your biggest problem? Maybe in the 70s...

No, you're facing more dire problems now that have nothing to do with Republican vs. Democrat bull**** people like to pull on here. You have uncontrollable inflation (more coming soon), median incomes that cannot cover a lifestyle of POVERTY let alone a decent lifestyle, a large homeless population, high unemployment, high crime, high teenage pregnancy rate, crumbling infrastructure, a ****ty school system that is worse off that the US as a whole (and that is bad), an economy that has been regulated and taxed into the ground, mounting debts, a workforce that is becoming less educated and unable to bring in as much tax revenue... I think you get the picture. The only thing keeping California afloat is Silicon Valley and some farming. During the housing boom, there was a large mortgage industry in SoCal, but that gravy train is dry. So, yeah, the only thing California has left to produce is facebook webpages, Google calendars, and at one point, subprime mortgages. Sounds line a wonderful place to live

But, at least you're air won't be (that) dirty!
Always amazes me how many non-Californians offer their unwanted & irrelevant advice to California. You live in Atlanta, why not focus your energy on bringing the Bible-belt into the 21st century instead of criticizing a state & people 1000 miles away from you?

You don't live here & hate California: great [we won't expect you at the next gay pride parade [since eating chitlins while listening to your favorite gospel tunes is likely more your speed thanks but no thanks, yahoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California