Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:09 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,695,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Coming out to your beautiful state this summer, with the following planned itinerary:

June 28th: Flight out to San Diego
June 29th: Full Day of San Diego Sightseeing
June 30th: Driving up to Los Angeles, staying in Burbank (specifically, planning on touring SoFi Stadium and Visiting Griffith Observatory on this day)
July 1st: Full Day of Los Angeles Sightseeing
July 2nd: Driving up the Pacific Coast Highway (staying a little north of San Luis Obispo)
July 3rd: Driving remainder of PCH/north (staying with family in Foster City)
July 4th-9th: With Family in Foster City
July 10th: Flying Home

With all that said, I have the following travel-based questions, as I hope to maximize visit.

1) Sunset Cliffs looks really cool-esp the sea cave. Is that area by Luscomb's Point indeed the best to visit, and just how difficult is it to get out to the sea cave if timing it right with the tides?

2) As someone who is generally into urbanist places/cool public spaces, would you say that Santa Monica/Venice, or Pasadena is more worth visiting, and why?

3) Anywhere especially recommendable to visit on Olvera Street or Little Tokyo?

4)We are touring SoFi-I have heard Dodger Stadium is open free to the public to just walk in, take a peek at the stands, etc. Is this true?

5) As far as Hollywood/movie-based attractions-which one would you say is most worth visiting of the following: Hollywood Bowl/Museum, TCL Chinese Theatre Guided Tour, Dolby Theatre tour, Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, or Other, and why? I remember touring WB when I was in 6th grade (a while back)-June 2003, but not sure I want to pay that much for a tour or spend that much time on one.

6) Which 2-3 things would you prioritize doing the most in the stretch between Malibu and SLO? Channel Islands NP looks beautiful, but I don't think we have that kind of time, as going there I think would take most of the day so that that is all we would do.

7) I highlighted this one as it's the question I'm most hoping to get answered-how likely is it that by early July, the full PCH will be open? I may not be going to Big Sur, otherwise. ]

8) How worth it is Pinnacles NP West-Balconies Cave Trail? Looks like it would be 45-50 minutes total on my drive (like 20-25 mins in each way in and out on the park road, and that's not factoring traffic. If you were deciding between only one of 17 Mile Drive, and Pinnacles, assuming going thru Big Sur was not an option.. which would you choose?)

9) How much would I expect to pay if I decided to bring my car into SF on the one day I plan to go see Alcatraz? Assuming I was staying 4-5 hours at a specific spot, is there any way I could get away parking relatively near Pier 33 for $20 or less?

10) Anything especially new or interesting you think I should check out, based on the fact that my family has the following combined interests: Urbanism, Hiking/Nature, Food, Shopping, Sports (though this last one, I can do my own research on so no worries there).

Thankful for anyone who may be willing to provide some guidance on some of these questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 02:38 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theurbanfiles View Post
Hello all! Coming out to your beautiful state this summer, with the following planned itinerary:

8) How worth it is Pinnacles NP West-Balconies Cave Trail? Looks like it would be 45-50 minutes total on my drive (like 20-25 mins in each way in and out on the park road, and that's not factoring traffic. If you were deciding between only one of 17 Mile Drive, and Pinnacles, assuming going thru Big Sur was not an option.. which would you choose?)

9) How much would I expect to pay if I decided to bring my car into SF on the one day I plan to go see Alcatraz? Assuming I was staying 4-5 hours at a specific spot, is there any way I could get away parking relatively near Pier 33 for $20 or less?
On #8, I would go with the 17 mile drive. Pinnacles is nice. Frankly, I think you're packing too much in for too short of a time.

On #9, The Alcatraz tour is very popular and reservations might be necessary. You won't be able to park anywhere for $20. Try the Pier 39 parking garage at $50 for all day on weekdays. www.pier39.com/pier-info/directions-parking The piers are odd numbered, i.e. pier 33, 35, 37, 39 - not too far to walk.

No matter where you park, NEVER, NEVER leave your valuables in your car. They will be gone when you get back.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
On #8, I would go with the 17 mile drive. Pinnacles is nice. Frankly, I think you're packing too much in for too short of a time.

On #9, The Alcatraz tour is very popular and reservations might be necessary. You won't be able to park anywhere for $20. Try the Pier 39 parking garage at $50 for all day on weekdays. www.pier39.com/pier-info/directions-parking The piers are odd numbered, i.e. pier 33, 35, 37, 39 - not too far to walk.

No matter where you park, NEVER, NEVER leave your valuables in your car. They will be gone when you get back.
I appreciate your guidance. That is probably what we will end up doing. Even if the PCH were to be open, I think driving through all of Big Sur, and then trying to see a bit of Monterey and/or Santa Cruz, and then still making it up into the Bay Area, would be too much to pack in. I do think that if on 7/3, we:
Leave at 7:30-8 AM
Get to 17 Mile at 10:30-allot 3 hours or so for the 17 Mile drive and some stops
Spend 1:30-3 in Cannery Row, Monterey
Spend 4-5:30 or so by Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Get to where our family is we are staying with around 7
That might be doable.

I do totally get what you're saying, and we could probably take much longer with all of those, but I think a schedule like that would probably allow us to at least get a sampling of what that beautiful area has to offer, but it's sorta out of need. The core purpose for the visit, ultimately, is seeing my new nephew/brother-in-law family. The getting to see some of the coastal spots on the way up is a bonus, so we'll see what we can and play it by ear. FWIW, I am someone who has "day-tripped" to Miami and back multiple times (3.5 hours each way), and just within the last year even did Key West in about 6 hours on a ferry trip, and even did a day trip last month to Tallahassee (4.25 hours each way!), so I know what you are saying, but I also think it is surprising what you can be able to see of a place if you are realistic, prioritize the right things, and are efficient

On parking, makes sense, yeah I figured it might be that level of cost, but figured I would at least ask-just out of curiosity-I am pretty active/as a runner, so what is the hourly or daily cost, say I were to park at the eastern end of the Presidio? I know that's pretty far (2.5 to 3 miles), but honestly that's a manageable distance for me each way, and I think a relatively scenic and interesting stretch of SF to go between. If I can achieve at least some sweat equity parking there, while also getting my daily run in in the process, to me that is a win-win.

I appreciate the safety tip on not leaving anything in the car, we will need to make sure we are aware of that more than normal.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:42 AM

130,626 posts, read 12,166,919 times
Quote:
I appreciate your guidance. That is probably what we will end up doing. Even if the PCH were to be open, I think driving through all of Big Sur, and then trying to see a bit of Monterey and/or Santa Cruz, and then still making it up into the Bay Area, would be too much to pack in. I do think that if on 7/3, we:
Leave at 7:30-8 AM
Get to 17 Mile at 10:30-allot 3 hours or so for the 17 Mile drive and some stops
Spend 4-5:30 or so by Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Get to where our family is we are staying with around 7
That might be doable.

I do totally get what you're saying, and we could probably take much longer with all of those, but I think a schedule like that would probably allow us to at least get a sampling of what that beautiful area has to offer, but it's sorta out of need. The core purpose for the visit, ultimately, is seeing my new nephew/brother-in-law family. The getting to see some of the coastal spots on the way up is a bonus, so we'll see what we can and play it by ear. FWIW, I am someone who has "day-tripped" to Miami and back multiple times (3.5 hours each way), and just within the last year even did Key West in about 6 hours on a ferry trip, and even did a day trip last month to Tallahassee (4.25 hours each way!), so I know what you are saying, but I also think it is surprising what you can be able to see of a place if you are realistic, prioritize the right things, and are efficient

On parking, makes sense, yeah I figured it might be that level of cost, but figured I would at least ask-just out of curiosity-I am pretty active/as a runner, so what is the hourly or daily cost, say I were to park at the eastern end of the Presidio? I know that's pretty far (2.5 to 3 miles), but honestly that's a manageable distance for me each way, and I think a relatively scenic and interesting stretch of SF to go between. If I can achieve at least some sweat equity parking there, while also getting my daily run in in the process, to me that is a win-win.

I appreciate the safety tip on not leaving anything in the car, we will need to make sure we are aware of that more than normal.
You could park in a neighborhood for free & either walk or bus to the wharf.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:04 AM

10,348 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Quote:
3 hours for 17-Mile Drive? LOL, only if you have a teetime @ Pebble Beach! (And chances are, you don't.) The toll for the 17 mile drive is around $10. (yes, it's worth it.) No motorcycles allowed, here. Private road. If you're a golfer, you may want to stop and gander at the tees on the bluffs, as you've likely seen them on TV, over the years. (There are 3 golf courses along the drive.) All private.
Quote:
You may want to add some extra time here, as you have one of the best aquariums in the world, there. (Monterey Bay Aquarium.) This is 90 mins, if you go thru it quickly.
Also...The Fish Hopper Restaurant has the best clam chowder anywhere. (At least along the West Coast.) These 2 attractions are right next to each other, so easy walk.

Quote:
This only applies to San Francisco as it is now unsafe. Monterey is safe.

As far as traveling up Hwy 1, you might check the caltrans website for up-to-date road/hwy conditions. I think there was a HUGE landslide from the rain this Winter. This closed Hwy1 for about 60 miles. There is a work around by it's 150 miles and 4 hours. (Maybe 5.) Once past this clot, it's an unbelievable drive. If you are an AAA member, you might want to get more specific advice for your trip.

Right now, your itinerary seems a bit ambitious.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
3 hours for 17-Mile Drive? LOL, only if you have a teetime @ Pebble Beach! (And chances are, you don't.) The toll for the 17 mile drive is around $10. (yes, it's worth it.) No motorcycles allowed, here. Private road. If you're a golfer, you may want to stop and gander at the tees on the bluffs, as you've likely seen them on TV, over the years. (There are 3 golf courses along the drive.) All private.
You may want to add some extra time here, as you have one of the best aquariums in the world, there. (Monterey Bay Aquarium.) This is 90 mins, if you go thru it quickly.
Also...The Fish Hopper Restaurant has the best clam chowder anywhere. (At least along the West Coast.) These 2 attractions are right next to each other, so easy walk.

This only applies to San Francisco as it is now unsafe. Monterey is safe.

As far as traveling up Hwy 1, you might check the caltrans website for up-to-date road/hwy conditions. I think there was a HUGE landslide from the rain this Winter. This closed Hwy1 for about 60 miles. There is a work around by it's 150 miles and 4 hours. (Maybe 5.) Once past this clot, it's an unbelievable drive. If you are an AAA member, you might want to get more specific advice for your trip.

Right now, your itinerary seems a bit ambitious.
Haha, I think this is where perhaps overlaying my specific expectations for this leg of the drive may be more helpful. I have been to CA a few times in the past, and a big part of the reason for starting the journey in San Diego was that far and away it was the cheapest airfare to anywhere on the west coast, plus it's direct from where we are in Tampa Bay. I'm definitely not looking to see everything-just want to hit some new spots. Here's a sample, because my blind spot is, while fitting in plenty each day is a regular thing for us, I don't know just how much traffic, etc. will delay us in each of these places.

Day 1 (SD)-we will have already flown in the previous day-core goals are:

1) Spend a couple hours in the morning walking around Balboa Park-the middle section. I've been to the SD Zoo before and while it's great, it's pricy. I haven't seen the civic architecture part of Balboa before-also, if anyone has anyone good Mexican coffee/Cafe de Olla recommendations.. I'm all ears.

2) Some time throughout the day just wandering, but mainly perhaps eating at a couple spots in the urban core and other neighborhoods. There's a craft brewery near Petco Park called Mission that looks really cool.. inside an old factory I guess, so we would consider (?) checking that out or the central library which also looks pretty neat. Really would like to get some good authentic tacos. Some places that look cool are Tacos El Gordo, which I believe originated in Tijuana which ups the ante and I think is authentic, Oscar's seems like the most cited or famous fish taco place, and then Lucha Libre just looks like a fun concept.

3) Visiting the coast, either Coronado Resort area and beach, because I enjoy historic architecture, etc., or, heading over to Point Loma and seeing Sunset Cliffs and/or Cabrillo. Both have their appeals, the latter more of natural/views-we'd probably just pick one of these two-we aren't big spend all day at the beach people, so if we did Coronado, I would think we could probably get our fill there in like an hour.

Day 2 (Transition up to LA)

1) SoFi Stadium Tour-I booked a middle of the day tour-I figured if it was around 12:30 or 1, that it says from our hotel that it ranges between 2 and 2.5 hours to get to Inglewood from there-I'm guessing that means that even if we do get stuck in worse than that traffic (note, this will be a Sunday), that we'll be fine as long as we leave from our hotel by like 8:30 or so.

2) Drop through LA core from 3-6, perhaps Olvera Street, which I think is relatively more active on Sundays, and perhaps grab taquitos from Cielito Lindo and/or grab an original French Dip from Philippe to go (if they are actually as legit as their fame). If the parking situation isn't absolutely terrible, maybe go check out Last Bookstore.

3) Go up to Griffith Observatory (I am thinking to get there by about 6:30, and just stay like an hour or so, so that would still get us to our place in Burbank by around 8.

Day 3 (LA)

1) Morning doing something in Hollywood area (range between say, 9 AM and 2 PM)-we'd probably go to the original Farmer's Market and Grove, and maybe just briefly go past the TCL/Walk of Fame area, which honestly, I think we'd get our fill of pretty quickly. I've been past it, but my wife and daughter haven't-I think they would get a kick out of seeing the actual landmarks behind Hollywood Studios in LBV, FL.

(Alternatively, we might skip Hollywood altogether, since again, I've been, and maybe opt for seeing The Getty Museum.)

2) Find something good for lunch, I am thinking maybe trying the prepared food section at one of the LA area's 2 famous Japanese grocery chains, Nijiya or Mitsuya. Open to other ideas too.

3) Spend rest of the day (like 2:30/3 to 7:30/8) in one of two areas we decide: Either
3) Spend 2:30/3 to like 7:30/8 in one of two core areas: Santa Monica, which I've been to before, but honestly, that 3rd Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier area is hands down my favorite urban space to visit I've been so far, having been to all of CA's big cities and several of the smaller ones. That, or for the first time giving a visit to Pasadena-the newness intrigues me, and the city itself just seems to have a lot of character and beauty to it's downtown, and maybe, better overall attractions than Santa Monica does.

Day 4 (PCH Day 1)

1) Morning moving towards and down through Malibu. I may stop at Paramount Ranch for a bit, possibly to see the baseball field at Pepperdine overlooking the water, and then maybe stop to stretch legs at Mugu Rock. Thinking because some of this will be caught in LA traffic, allotting between like 8 AM and 12:30 PM to cover this.

2) Afternoon spent in Santa Barbara. Grabbing lunch somewhere, visiting the courthouse, no major agenda otherwise just walking and doing a bit of shopping and getting steps in. I anticipate being in Downtown Santa Barbara for like 2-3 hours, so let's say 1:30-4:30 for this.

3) Evening looks like it takes around 2 hours to cover the remaining distance we have for the day. I think given that, we'd probably only stop in one of SLO or Solvang. Thoughts? I'm leaning towards Solvang because I have Scandinavian heritage and it looks slightly more unique than anything else on the road, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Day 5 (PCH Day 2)

1) Factoring drive time to the start of 17 Mile Drive, it looks to me like we'd get there about 10:30 if we left in the 7:30-8 range. To the above poster.. I see what you are saying about 3 hours being long for it, as it looks like the whole drive only takes about 30 minutes if there isn't traffic and you exit at the Pacific Grove Gate. Do you think then, because you mentioned the noteworthiness of Monterey Bay Aquarium, which I considered, that allotting about 2 hours for 17 Mile Drive is reasonable, and thus making a little more time in Monterey? If so, then

2) Might be seeing Monterey/Cannery Row outside for about 90 minutes, and the aquarium inside for about 90 minutes, so being in Monterey like 12:30-3:30, give or take.

3) Then Santa Cruz from like 4:30-6.

Where would I run into the most traffic, that would make potentially accomplishing all of these insurmountable? Thanks all!

Old 04-12-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You could park in a neighborhood for free & either walk or bus to the wharf.
Good advice and I appreciate that-do you have any specific recommendations that would work well?

Old 04-12-2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
https://apnews.com/article/big-sur-c...74c83ba6ba0ea1
This was the latest news search I did for it-AAA would be good to call for updates on the road, you mean?

Yeah.. it looks amazing itself, but the verbiage of "where one of its two lanes collapsed into the ocean after heavy weekend rains" makes me think I am SOL on that front, for the whole summer. It looks to me, like it closes up by Limekiln State Park to the south, and then again to the north, at Rocky Creek Bridge, and so to me, it looks at this point like, not only can you not drive all the way through to the north, starting from Morro Bay, but you can't even backtrack from Carmel by the Sea to check it out-it looks to me like the stretch between Carmel by the Sea and Lucia is virtually inaccessible to anyone with a car now. I could have that wrong though, and that is sort of why I'm thinking it probably won't be available to me as an option.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:05 PM

7,496 posts, read 3,897,112 times
I'd do 5 days in San Diego, skip L.A. and the central coast, and fly up to SFO. Then do the rest of the time in Foster City with day trips to San Francisco and Marin and things like that.

L.A. is its own vacation and the central coast drive is pretty, but kind of tedious.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:17 PM

10,348 posts, read 6,898,458 times
OP~

If you're thinking of the San Diego Zoo as pricey, then I'd suggest getting a San Diego Zoological Society membership. It would pay for itself in 1 visit. However, for a truly unique experience, I'd recommend the San Diego Safari Park. It's more like the Serengeti and less like a zoo. The cheetah run is amazing. The zipline is a hoot. Animals being able to co-mingle and not in an enclosure. Even the big cats are free to roam around...

While on your way North from San Diego, to LA, I'd suggest getting off the freeway at La Costa Avenue and going West to PCH. This goes thru Carlsbad and Oceanside, but terminates at Camp Pendleton's Harbor Drive on/off ramps. (Take the Strand St. while in Oceanside. It's a unique experience, too.) You might even see the Top Gun House, if you look....

There's about 50 craft beer places on South Coast Hwy in Oceanside, if you are looking for that. Maybe 75, I dunno. LOL.

Back to San Diego for a moment. A good place to eat is DZ Aikins.

Up in Carlsbad, you might try TipTop meats for "Big John's Breakfast." (Show up HUNGRY, not kidding here.)

If you find yourself in Newport Beach, then I can recommend Pizzeria Mozza. (She's known for her sourdough bread.)

There's some more for you to research!

EDIT~ The traffic from the airport is predominantly Northbound in the afternoons. (Including Sundays.) If you can get outta there by 3pm, you should be good. One other thing, we drive FAST here. The pace can be unsettling for people from other areas. You probably won't get used to it in 5 days. It takes a few months, really. At least, that's what I keep hearing from visitors from other areas. (Except France...) They're right at home, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California