Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 08:35 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
I guess there is no escape even in supposed 'red' areas of California. It's all gone to hell.
Why would "red areas" be a better escape? Go to Bakersfield or Redding they have NEVER been safer than other areas of California and they are red as red can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 12:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
My thoughts are that drugs like meth and fentanyl don’t discriminate.
This is the root of the problem, it ain’t unaffordable housing.
Plenty of cheap places to live in the Central Valley like in Stockton, Fresno, Redding and Bakersfield.
Plenty of drugs there too.

Old 05-16-2023, 08:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Before Covid we would drive to California on vacations or to visit family a couple of times a year, and would always stop at Yreka, have dinner at Jefferson's Roadhouse, and sleep at the Best Western Miner's Inn. I don't remember ever seeing any homeless back then. Whether it's fentanyl or Covid related it seems to have been a big change over the last few years.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:42 AM

46 posts, read 60,558 times
Are they bothering anybody (anymore than any other groups might be bothering people)?

If not, then why is this even an issue?

Old 05-17-2023, 01:46 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
Are they bothering anybody (anymore than any other groups might be bothering people)?

If not, then why is this even an issue?
Other than the usual stock arguments (drugs, crime, public safety) not at all.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:03 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
This is so very sad to hear. I used to travel for a living in the 90's. Lived in the Bay Area 83-93 and even there there was NO homeless issues. I did the I-5 route through Mt. Shasta into Oregon. Geez even Portland and Seattle were decent back then. They've all gone to heck in a handbasket. Good thing I no longer travel.
The Bay Area had a few homeless in the early 90's, and even in the 80's. Berkeley's People's Park attracted them. And the Berkeley City Council basically commandeered the local YMCA hostel downtown in the 90's, to use for a rehab and residency program for certain homeless. There were few enough of them back then, though, that people who didn't know the area didn't notice them. Oakland probably had some, too.

San Francisco had them, but when Newsom was on the City Council, he came up with a program that provided day programs and housing for them, somehow. True story. I remember, suddenly Union Square was free of panhandlers, and there were shelters around the Tenderloin and TenderNob areas, that they could occasionally be seen coming and going from.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There were few enough of them back then, though, that people who didn't know the area didn't notice them. Oakland probably had some, too.
Homeless or "bums" as they were referred to could be found in CA as far back as the 20's and 30's. They'd come to CA from back east on freight cars. A lot of their "camps" could be found around railroad yards. The problem is so big now, naturally places that didn't have that issue are having it now. Not surprised to see some of northern most towns getting an influx of homeless. Frankly, I don't see the problem going away any time soon.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:03 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
My guess is that during the hot weather season in Redding and the central valley, some homeless or vehicle dwellers migrate north to higher elevation to find cooler temps where they can live outside without AC in relative comfort. At least Yreka, although hot in the summer afternoon, is pleasant at night and before noon. They tend to stay along the main highway routes (especially I-5), and Yreka happens to be just close enough to Redding to reach without buying much gas. Later in the fall as the temperatures cool off, they can almost coast downhill on I-5 back to Redding and the valley.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,493 times
Is “Yreka” an alternative spelling of Eureka, or are they indeed two different towns?
Truly wondering.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:29 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not much law and order can do about this, the states in the 9th circuit are under a Supreme Court ruling that homeless people can sleep in public places and can't be removed unless shelter is provided to them, the case is martin v boise
Beat me to it ^^^^^.

That's exactly what I was thinking about as I read the OP's post before scrolling down to your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California