Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 11:13 AM

678 posts, read 429,079 times

Advertisements

I'm considering spending some time in California -- Santa Barbara or another Central California beach town. I love the beach, ocean, mountains, biking, being active and looking for something safe / family friendly.

Where would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 02:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm considering spending some time in California -- Santa Barbara or another Central California beach town. I love the beach, ocean, mountains, biking, being active and looking for something safe / family friendly.

Where would you recommend?
Santa Barbara is good but what are you planning on doing? San Luis Obispo county beaches like Morro Bay have better surfing (at least far more consistent if not technically better on the best days). Though the Jalama area does have a better swell window west of Santa Barbara.

You can definitely kayak or whale watch at both locations. Santa Barbara is pretty swanky and pricey but there’s good food options too. I think the wineries are better in San Luis Obispo area. That said it’s only about an hour from Santa Barbara too.

Old 01-01-2023, 03:44 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Santa Barbara is good but what are you planning on doing? San Luis Obispo county beaches like Morro Bay have better surfing (at least far more consistent if not technically better on the best days). Though the Jalama area does have a better swell window west of Santa Barbara.

You can definitely kayak or whale watch at both locations. Santa Barbara is pretty swanky and pricey but there’s good food options too. I think the wineries are better in San Luis Obispo area. That said it’s only about an hour from Santa Barbara too.
I'd like to surf a little but just being able to SUP would also be fine. More importantly would be easy access to the beach (ideally walking distance but short drive would be fine), close to the mountains (ideally great hike / mountain biking with good views), great weather, anything kid friendly and good area to walk / ride a bike. I think Santa Barbara checks everything off the list, but don't know if I'd prefer a smaller town in the area

Old 01-01-2023, 03:46 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
The train goes thru there. Quite a picturesque route, either way. (North/South.)

Old 01-01-2023, 04:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Check out Cayucos north of Morro Bay as well as San Simeon State Beach further up the coast in SLO County. Another option would be Avila Beach close to Pismo.

Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information

https://visitavilabeach.com/

Old 01-01-2023, 10:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Check out Cayucos north of Morro Bay as well as San Simeon State Beach further up the coast in SLO County. Another option would be Avila Beach close to Pismo.

Cayucos, CA - California beach resort town visitor information

https://visitavilabeach.com/
All those are good!

If you’re in the area you could probably go over to all of those beaches.

You’ll need a 4/3 mm wetsuit if you’re going in the ocean now.

Avila has hot springs too.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 49,821 times
I lived in Santa Barbara for a couple of years. It is the most 'cultural' town in soCal hands down. It has neo-colonial/Spanish revival (or what ever you want to call it) architecture. The town hangs together well in this sense and creates a unique vibe. You could almost be in Europe. The climate is good since you get sunny weather but cool breezes off the ocean in summer. There is just enough entertainment with a beautiful theater downtown, tennis, trails, and some scenic drives. Beaches are for walking, not swimming. The water is cold and great whites patrol the coast line. There is one big downside, which is home prices. You need to be wealthy. If you have a couple of mil to spare you can buy a modest home.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:43 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Santa Barbara
Pismo Beach
Shell Beach
Avila Beach
Morro Bay
Cayucos

Bring a jacket, wet suit and a big wallet.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:53 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Monterey Bay also is within the Central Coast area. There's Santa Cruz and Monterey. Monterey has the aquarium, and Santa Cruz has good beaches, a narrow-gauge train through the redwoods (see: Roaring Camp Railroad for info & tickets) that's popular with kids, and the Boardwalk,an amusement park area along the beach. Also, the "Mystery Spot", another attraction for kids. https://www.mysteryspot.com/

Both areas have large redwood groves for hiking/walking. South of Monterey there's Pfeiffer State Beach, known for its purple sands. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lpnf...a/?recid=10918 Currently closed according to that link, but check back; it may be open by the time you're ready to visit Central CA coast.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the tar on the Santa Barbara beaches. Visitors tend to find it to be an unexpected annoyance. It's naturally-occurring ooze from underground. http://bubbleology.com/2020/02/14/se...-on-the-beach/
Quote:
These tarballs are amongst the most plentiful on the beaches around and to the west of Santa Barbara due to proximity to the prolific Coal Oil Point (COP) seep field. They’re familiar to local beach-goers who’ve learned to scrape tar off their feet with baby oil and a nuisance to unsuspecting tourists. Although tarballs can indicate an oil spill, Santa Barbara’s persistent and significant beach tar accumulation arises almost entirely from natural sources – the COP marine hydrocarbon seep field which has been active for at least half a million years.

Pfeiffer Beach's famed purple sands:

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-02-2023 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-08-2023, 03:02 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles212 View Post
I lived in Santa Barbara for a couple of years. It is the most 'cultural' town in soCal hands down. It has neo-colonial/Spanish revival (or what ever you want to call it) architecture. The town hangs together well in this sense and creates a unique vibe. You could almost be in Europe. The climate is good since you get sunny weather but cool breezes off the ocean in summer. There is just enough entertainment with a beautiful theater downtown, tennis, trails, and some scenic drives. Beaches are for walking, not swimming. The water is cold and great whites patrol the coast line. There is one big downside, which is home prices. You need to be wealthy. If you have a couple of mil to spare you can buy a modest home.
Pasadena, CA beats Santa Barbara in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California