Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 08:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
If it was taken with a 600mm lens, maybe. Fresno isn't *THAT* close to the mountains. And the Coast Ranges to the west are also 40 or so miles away. So either that's not a pic of Fresno (hard to tell-no identifying landmarks) or else we're talking serious focal depth compression. Either way, it's a tad misleading.
Website says it's from near the 180 freeway. Looks legit to me.

Aren't large lens photographs usually blurry?

Anyways, you can test it out yourself, just drive up the 180 on a clear afternoon.

https://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/du...sa.169170.html

Edit: the coastal ranges are far from Fresno, but they don't have a ton of foothills in their way. One reason why they're visible from Fresno.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 10-29-2021 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 11:08 AM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ent-california

Old 11-06-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
They're building lots of affordable housing, but it will never catch up to the need. So Lots of people will be pushed towards Tulare/Kings/Kern/Arizona (Arizona is more expensive today, but something tells me that won't last for long). As long as the city keeps improving schools/crime/amenities, people will keep coming in.

Edit: I'll have an update in a few days

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 11-06-2021 at 03:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2021, 12:17 AM

New flights to Reno just added to the Fresno airport

Non stop flights to:
Houston, Minneapolis, New York, Hawaii, and socal are expected to be added soon.

From abc fresno news

Old 11-12-2021, 04:12 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
New flights to Reno just added to the Fresno airport

Non stop flights to:
Houston, Minneapolis, New York, Hawaii, and socal are expected to be added soon.

From abc fresno news
good news for FAT (airport) and city of fresno. The central valley region can start pumping those tax revenue dollars to fresno instead of going to SFO, SJC, LAX

Old 11-17-2021, 09:56 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Of all the Central Valley cities which have shown the most signs of gentrification and which have declined the most ? I visited Fresno recently and my impression was that the Tower District was devastated by the pandemic.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:07 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
The Tower District has always been, even in good times, iffy, at best. It's about the closest thing the CV has to an "arts" district, where all the eclectic types and shops are. Problem with that is, all of the money in Fresno is in central and north/northeast Fresno and Clovis. The folks there are gonna stick to the strip malls of Target, Kohls, and Applebees.

Most Tower locals are broke-a&&. So no wonder it's gone downhill.

I think Fresno has pretty much given up on anything south of, oh, about Shaw Ave. They occasionally pay some token lip service to give the impression that they care. They don't. The growth and money continues to be north and northeast. Eventually, gonna merge with Madera and then butt up to the mountains.

Now Tulare, where I live, that's a town that's not gentrifying; per se. The entire west side, west of the railroad tracks, is also pretty much a lost cause. It would need to be completely leveled and started over from scratch. Patchwork infill, like south Fresno, isn't gonna work.

Tulare is absolutely exploding in size; I know of at least four all new subs being built. All on the east, north, and southeast sides of town.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:46 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
It's also not hard to see why Fresno has gotten such a bad rap over the years. If your only experience was passing through on the 99 in either direction, yes. Agreed. All of it, from Herndon all the way to Jensen looks moribund, decrepit, and like a concrete jungle. Very, very bad first impression. All duly noted. But venture inland a bit, especially along 41 and/or 168, especially north of Shaw, and trust me, a completely different picture reveals itself.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Of all the Central Valley cities which have shown the most signs of gentrification and which have declined the most ? I visited Fresno recently and my impression was that the Tower District was devastated by the pandemic.
They've hired homeless people to clean up the tower district. Not just mainstreet, but every block. City has it funded for a year, but wants to keep it around in perpetuity.
They're building a small luxury complex there and a fancy marijuana store. A new park is coming to the tower, too. I expect the tower to infill and clean up very quickly after the pandemic. the Pandemic won't slow things down too much, there's too much momentum.

Oh yeah, the city recently redid the roads/sidewalks by the tower theater. It looks a lot better now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The Tower District has always been, even in good times, iffy, at best. It's about the closest thing the CV has to an "arts" district, where all the eclectic types and shops are. Problem with that is, all of the money in Fresno is in central and north/northeast Fresno and Clovis. The folks there are gonna stick to the strip malls of Target, Kohls, and Applebees.

Most Tower locals are broke-a&&. So no wonder it's gone downhill.

I think Fresno has pretty much given up on anything south of, oh, about Shaw Ave. They occasionally pay some token lip service to give the impression that they care. They don't. The growth and money continues to be north and northeast. Eventually, gonna merge with Madera and then butt up to the mountains.

Now Tulare, where I live, that's a town that's not gentrifying; per se. The entire west side, west of the railroad tracks, is also pretty much a lost cause. It would need to be completely leveled and started over from scratch. Patchwork infill, like south Fresno, isn't gonna work.

Tulare is absolutely exploding in size; I know of at least four all new subs being built. All on the east, north, and southeast sides of town.
3 years ago, you could get a remodeled two story house in the tower for 280k.

Today, 280k gets you a nice bungalow that needs remodeling. Prices are going up quickly. It won't be long before the section 8 crowd starts getting pushed out of the tower. I'd say in two years time you'll start seeing tower Gentrification articles in the Fresno bee. Maybe even protests.

Gives us your good Tulare county updates. Preferably with links.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 11-22-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 11-22-2021, 02:36 PM

New townhome complex getting built in North fresno. Comes with a rooftop lounge for parties.
Almost 500 units.

https://abc30.com/the-lark-fresno-complex/11225947/

A three-story leasing office will feature a gym, yoga studio and private offices residents can use.

Mark said, "Our coffee shop will be over here and lounge over here with a fireplace."

A resort-style pool will also be in place.

He added, "Up on the roof, we have a roof deck with views of the Sierra and the San Joaquin River."

Vandenberghe was encouraged to see how well another high-end complex, The Row, was received in Fresno.

"That is an absolutely wonderful project," he said. "They have 250 units, which rented up in six months in COVID. The strength of this market has made itself so evident."

At this point, one-bedroom units might start at about $1800 a month.

VandenBerghe wasn't worried about a shortage of people who can afford to live in a luxury complex.

"No, I'm not afraid of that," he said. "I think the demand far exceeds this."

The townhomes are just about finished. Vandenberghe said he's just waiting for PG&E to turn on the power.

City of Fresno wants to buy an old hospital and turn it into low income housing. Could see 1000 new units in central Fresno. Long way to go before anything happens. I'll keep ya updated.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 11-22-2021 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California