Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 11:07 AM

405 posts, read 449,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That recession really hurt the manufacturing sector in the state and also shortly thereafter saw closures of significant military facilities such as Fort Ord and Castle AFB and several others in the state. Unemployment nearly doubled between 1989 and 1993. While that came down again in the late 90s a lot of the specific jobs that had gone never came back.
That recession really hurt much of the country as well. But those Californians who lost jobs that never came back had a better safety net. Thanks of course to those liberals right-wingers like to scream about.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:11 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
The Great California Exodus Accelerates

California may be the most populous state in the Union, but it could transform into the exodus capital of America. The Golden State has witnessed its population stall, declining slightly from 39.96 million to 39.78 million in the second half of 2019, according to the Department of Finance.

Growth has slowed close to zero or even declined in most coastal counties. The San Francisco Bay Area advanced, and counties east of Los Angeles witnessed modest growth. However, Los Angeles County shed residents for the second consecutive year in 2019. It is unclear how severe the population drop is in the aftermath of the Coronavirus pandemic and the state government’s proposed tax hikes.

Contrary to internet mythos, it is not only high-income earners who are packing up their things and saying goodbye to Newsom. Studies, including one from the Public Policy Institute of California and another by the Empire Center for Public Policy, have found that poorer households are more likely to flee than their affluent counterparts. But considering the policing being proposed or enacted, it is safe to say that the wealthy have no reason to be some of the left-behinds.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...us-accelerates
If the population of CA declined from 39 million that would be a good thing.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:55 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
As long as you do not mind, and can afford, to pay far more in taxes as the cost of Government will not go down.
I dont think Californians will be spending $800 billion on taxes like we do now(fed and state) if we had half as many people. Also if we get a handle on exorbitant health care costs that would positively impact us.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:18 PM

827 posts, read 659,345 times
So glad we moves out of the pits of California best thing we ever did. It was bad when moved and by far worse today. How much lower into the gutter can it get?

Old 10-13-2020, 12:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
So glad we moves out of the pits of California best thing we ever did. It was bad when moved and by far worse today. How much lower into the gutter can it get?
Where did you move to?

Old 10-13-2020, 02:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont think Californians will be spending $800 billion on taxes like we do now(fed and state) if we had half as many people. Also if we get a handle on exorbitant health care costs that would positively impact us.
Proof?

Remember the State never drops taxes.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:51 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Something they don't really seem to understand is that the massive state taxes used to be federally deductible but now they aren't... this is a massive reason for people to leave.

I just read about a new law in California that is going to give the state first dibs at foreclosed homes. So the state causes the forclosures and then they start buying up the primo private property with your tax dollars.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
I moved from Central California to Maui 6 years ago when I retired. If prices on the Central Coast were not so high I probably would have moved there.

Several plusses here: Oceanfront condos are less expensive; my government pension is exempt from Hawaii State taxes; and the ocean is swimmably warm year-round.
After living on the edge of the ocean (I can see it as I type this) for 6 years now, I can't imagine moving elsewhere. Best decision ever!

My brother and his family just moved to Reno, Nevada from Sacramento. They had a hard time finding a place because so many people from the Bay Area are moving there. They were looking for lower taxes and less craziness. A bonus for them is snow! He is still working a couple of days a month and will travel back to Sacramento for that.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I

My brother and his family just moved to Reno, Nevada from Sacramento. They had a hard time finding a place because so many people from the Bay Area are moving there. They were looking for lower taxes and less craziness. A bonus for them is snow! He is still working a couple of days a month and will travel back to Sacramento for that.
And our daughter can’t wait to leave Reno for Sacramento. Plans to in the next year when her contract with the CDC ends. Snow is not that great in Reno plus bad ice, plus you have horrible drivers per my dtr

Old 10-13-2020, 07:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
The transition use to be cashing out of the Bay Area on retirement to the Sierra Foothills.

For about the last 10 years it is moving out of State...

Nothing scientific just 30 years in Bay Area Healthcare observation...

Homes still selling briskly so can't speak to decline.

Taxes, Water Issues, Fuel/Vehicle Costs, Fires and Civil Unrest often mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California