Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:54 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,006,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
I agree. Californians have been paying a gas tax for many years. Now another one? The roads are in and have been in terrible condition for years, don't expect to see improvement.
When states with very cheap gas have better roads than California... you know more gas taxes aren't the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When states with very cheap gas have better roads than California... you know more gas taxes aren't the solution.
Yeah, but they don't have Proposition 13 keeping their property taxes from skyrocketing. Any time you have amenities - there are taxes that pay for them. So, if they have great roads, which taxes pay for them? Maybe not a gas tax, but there's a tax in there somewhere that they are spending on roads - and collecting from their citizens.

For all of you whiners, just go live somewhere else. You'll learn quickly enough the above lesson - as I did when I moved to Washington State, then Tennessee, etc. If there are amenities, you are paying for them. Just wait - the way they'll get it out of you will reveal itself soon enough.

I've also lived places where the cops don't get paid squat - and you get what you pay for.

Cops are worth every dime spent to keep the good ones. If you pay really well, there will be a waiting list a mile long to keep the ones on the payroll doing what they need to do to keep their jobs, and you will have the best of the best applying. And if you have a budget big enough to have the size force you need, cops actually show up within a reasonable amount of time, to help you.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:37 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, but they don't have Proposition 13 keeping their property taxes from skyrocketing. Any time you have amenities - there are taxes that pay for them. So, if they have great roads, which taxes pay for them? Maybe not a gas tax, but there's a tax in there somewhere that they are spending on roads - and collecting from their citizens.

For all of you whiners, just go live somewhere else. You'll learn quickly enough the above lesson - as I did when I moved to Washington State, then Tennessee, etc. If there are amenities, you are paying for them. Just wait - the way they'll get it out of you will reveal itself soon enough.

I've also lived places where the cops don't get paid squat - and you get what you pay for.

Cops are worth every dime spent to keep the good ones. If you pay really well, there will be a waiting list a mile long to keep the ones on the payroll doing what they need to do to keep their jobs, and you will have the best of the best applying. And if you have a budget big enough to have the size force you need, cops actually show up within a reasonable amount of time, to help you.
Well I moved to TN over 8 years ago from SoCal (I.E.) and saved about $20,000 the first year and thousands every year since. Property taxes for the same value home, but on 1/2 acre in TN (Same age, etc) was 1/4 what I paid in CA. Gas lower, No State Income tax, sales tax just a little higher than most, but not all, of CA and $29.00 per vehicle in plate charges this year including my truck. Beautiful scenery, great roads, far less traffic (Though it is growing) homeowners and car insurance about the same. A definite gain other than the cold in Winter. Mind you not bad, snow falls and is gone the next day and does that about 4 times a year here. I just hate any cold weather.

CA is wayyy over priced for what you actually get in total.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:18 PM

661 posts, read 692,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Well I moved to TN over 8 years ago from SoCal (I.E.)...

CA is wayyy over priced for what you actually get in total.
Naaaah, it's great.

By the way, just casually checking out your post history, you've never once posted in the Tennessee forum? Do you have a separate profile that you use to post on the local forum to separate yourself from the dickishness (highly technical term) that this profile exudes? Just a cursory glance but damn it looks like you live to just sit in front of your computer and rail on California. Just don't see how that's entertaining but to each their own I guess. Enjoy Tennessee.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:30 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,751,849 times
Quote:
One of the things I love about California, is the benefits we enjoy here. They are not free. So, I'm happy to pay my part, in higher gas taxes or sales taxes, etc., even as a low income senior - because I personally reap benefits from the increased taxes.

I've lived in other states and countries, and there is little to show for taxes you pay there.

But, in my experience, CA does a good job of managing the taxes the state receives. So, I'm happy to pay my fair share, because I also benefit.

Roads don't fix themselves.

And, I was talking with a young woman today about how when I was a kid in CA, in the 1960's to 1970's, you couldn't see the hills around the bay area, because of how bad the smog was. And today, even though there's WAY more traffic, the air is so much cleaner, that you can see the hills. That was our more stringent air quality control laws, and smog controls, etc., that accomplished that. And it worked.

So, nope. I have no problem paying higher taxes. It's my fair share. And if the taxes aren't collected, then things don't get fixed. If you want things fixed, you have to help pay to fix them.

It's simple, really. And, when you see how well the funds are used, it's a no-brainer. Like I said, if you've lived anywhere where funds are not used wisely, or there is corruption, etc., you'd know the difference, and that the benefits in CA reaped from the taxes collected here are really worth it.
I too am curious about "your share" as you put it as a low income senior... I wasn't going to call you out, until you decided to call everyone else "whiners". There are basically two types of people in California. Tax takers and taxpayers. I'm guessing you'd be the former. You've said as much. If you are low income then "your share" is much smaller than many others. This is the problem. You are not wrong in the California does a VERY good job of taking care of the poor. They have great amenities if you are in this group. If you aren't earning very much then they have plenty of services for you, so why wouldn't you love it? The people that are unhappy here are likely those that are earning more and do not feel that they are getting their money's worth.

Quote:
Well in many parts of Sourthern California they're paid very well, and you definitely DON'T get what you're paying for... San Diego is one example, where the response time was very, very slow.

As for amenities, I recently moved to Orlando and I'm not missing out on amenities, yet I have way more money left over every month, smooth roads, and fewer homeless to look at. Ok crime might be a little worse, otherwise, it's mostly good. People and menial jobs seem friendlier too, because maybe they can afford to live ok on minimum wage here. I've actually been able to pay down student debt since I've lived here, a LOT.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Naaaah, it's great.

By the way, just casually checking out your post history, you've never once posted in the Tennessee forum? Do you have a separate profile that you use to post on the local forum to separate yourself from the dickishness (highly technical term) that this profile exudes? Just a cursory glance but damn it looks like you live to just sit in front of your computer and rail on California. Just don't see how that's entertaining but to each their own I guess. Enjoy Tennessee.
I have posted many times on the TN forum, (as well as on the forums for other States I have lived in) but not much happens there so it has been a while and now that I am moving to FL I post more there, but again it is a slow forum as well.

I am on and off the forums frequently because I own several businesses in CA and when bored sitting at my desk, I make a quick check on the forums. Kinda removes the boredom.

Note born and raised in C and love the State, just not what it has become.

A few seem to like me as my reputation shows.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 PM

626 posts, read 626,949 times
Quote:

Not true because where I am from and where I am moving back to I have 3 bedroom house on 3 acres. The property tax for that house is roughly $1200 a year. The roads are in good shape and the gas price is less.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Not true because where I am from and where I am moving back to I have 3 bedroom house on 3 acres. The property tax for that house is roughly $1200 a year. The roads are in good shape and the gas price is less.
Yep here in TN they did raise the gas tax a total of ......................... $0.05 and the roads are far better than CA. Some States spend money wisely and others throw it away.

CA is not doing that well. Frustrating, but the voters seem to like more and more taxes and fees, and less and less service from them.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep here in TN they did raise the gas tax a total of ......................... $0.05 and the roads are far better than CA. Some States spend money wisely and others throw it away.

CA is not doing that well. Frustrating, but the voters seem to like more and more taxes and fees, and less and less service from them.
That is why I am leaving this state literally next week YAY. I looked at the gas prices where I am moving to and they are averaging about $2.25 a gallon compared to $3.35 a gallon here in Pasadena.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdoggo View Post
And yet I think Pasadena is the greatest city to live in in the U.S. and worth every penny. Too bad you weren't able to enjoy it, but it's probably due to the fact you aren't financially well off enough. No reason to be living in LA if you're poor, just move to Phoenix or some swamp in Florida.
Actually I love everything there is about Pasadena the good and the bad. I like living less than 100 feet from Colorado and being able to camp out on New Years Eve to allow my friends/family to have a front row seat at the Rose Parade. I like that there is so much diversity around here, my daughter's two best friends are Israeli and Mexican all the while my son's best friend is a Korean. I love that I can literally walk or ride my bike from my house to where I work at Caltech. I absolutely love that everything is so close to me and I live in East Pasadena around by Allen.

You want to act like I am not financially well off but I cleared after taxes alittle more $100k a year, and that is AFTER taxes. So you can tout all you want about me not making enough money but I do, but not for Pasadena. I live in a duplex house here in Pasadena, which is split by floors so I have the 2nd floor and another family has the 1st floor. The then owner wanted to sell it last year and asked if I want to buy it for $990k, and my neighbors just sold their craftsman style 2 bedroom house for $730k. The owner who is now the property manager sold it for $930k last year to a Chinese couple from China. Sorry but I am not spending over half a million dollars for a 3 bedroom house, or $400k for a 2 bed room apartment/house in a neighborhood with a crappy school. You may want to feed the best that is LA's home market but I will not. I will move to NC and after a year of renting find a nice house with some acreage on it.

The thing about the housing market in LA is if you were not given a house or bought it years ago and do not make well over 6 figures then you can afford a home if you want to live within your means. I am a white guy that supports a family of mixed race children with a LEGAL immigrant for a wife and we are constantly getting the shaft from this County and State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California