Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 54,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
OK I just found my paper work for when I registered my car for the first time in CA from out of state. I paid 895$ on a brand new car that was purchased in TX. The biggest chunk of the cost was the CA User Fee (i.e CA sales tax) The CA sales tax for my car was 1850$. In TX I paid 1250$ in sales tax when I purchased my car there. CA will charge you the difference between the state you came from tax rate and CA's tax rate. Thus I got a credit for 1250$ but still owed 600$ plus all of the other fees that charge you when you register your car here.

Total cost to register my out of state car in CA was 895$

Thankfully the company that relocated me here paid that for me

I see... may I ask what your sales tax is in your area? It looks like Santa Maria has an 8.0% tax rate. With Harris County and my city's local sales tax I paid 8.25% on my car (I need to check the paperwork to confirm.) Seems silly to be hit up for the difference in sales tax, but a lot of states do that. I think to register my old car here in Texas, which was 4 years old and had 75,000 on it, was close to 300.00. The lack of income tax is nice here, but taxes aren't cheap in Texas either with sales and property taxes. Plus I am not sure what Texas uses their taxes for, because their roads are crap, unless you use a toll road and there is no such thing as social services here. Taxes suck whereever, just a sign of the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Sales tax will vary slightly from area to area, TV15 is probably in Mordor, SoCal. Sales tax will vary a little bit with what town you are shopping in.

Remember that overall there is only a 2.7% difference in overall yearly tax burden between CA and Texas. And despite the complainers, the state does provide excellent services in most fields. There aren't too many people that complain about the state firefighting services, or our 280 pretty cool state parks.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Sales tax will vary slightly from area to area, TV15 is probably in Mordor, SoCal. Sales tax will vary a little bit with what town you are shopping in.

Remember that overall there is only a 2.7% difference in overall yearly tax burden between CA and Texas. And despite the complainers, the state does provide excellent services in most fields. There aren't too many people that complain about the state firefighting services, or our 280 pretty cool state parks.
Nope wrong again. I live in Northern CA. I really wish you would post credible vs. ignorant things.

OP do not take tax lessons from this poster...he is completely clueless about the tax system and how it works.

This is a good link to help you calculate taxes between states. State Tax Rates

Your total tax burden depends on many factors and is not a straight across the board number as he is trying to convience you of. It depends on how much you make, how many dependents you have, if you are renting or owning, your investments, number of deductions and so on and so forth. Anyone who thinks it is a straight across the board number has no clue what they are talking about.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post
I see... may I ask what your sales tax is in your area? It looks like Santa Maria has an 8.0% tax rate. With Harris County and my city's local sales tax I paid 8.25% on my car (I need to check the paperwork to confirm.) Seems silly to be hit up for the difference in sales tax, but a lot of states do that. I think to register my old car here in Texas, which was 4 years old and had 75,000 on it, was close to 300.00. The lack of income tax is nice here, but taxes aren't cheap in Texas either with sales and property taxes.
In TX you only pay 6.25% sales tax on cars and boats. So if you purchased your car in TX you only only paid 6.25% sales tax.

I paid 6.25% sales tax in my car that I purchased in TX.

When I moved here my county charges 8.50% sales tax. I had to pay the 2.25% difference based on the total cost of my car. Crazy Uh! You haven't seen anything yet...just wait.

Texas
The Texas state sales and use tax rate is 6.25%, but local taxing jurisdictions (cities, counties, special purpose districts, and transit authorities, but specifically not including school districts) may also impose sales and use taxes up to 2% for a total of 8.25%.The main items exempt from sales tax include medicines (prescription and over-the-counter), food and food seeds (but prepared food, such as from a restaurant, is subject to sales tax).

Motor vehicle and boat sales are taxed at only the 6.25% state rate; there is no local sales and use tax.

This is what you are going to get when you move here.

California
Main article: Sales and use taxes in California
California has a sales tax of 7.25%, which can total up to 9.75% with local sales tax included. Partly this rate compensates for the much reduced property tax revenue brought on by Proposition 13. Sales and use taxes in the state of California are collected by the publicly elected Board of Equalization, whereas income and franchise taxes are collected by the Franchise Tax Board.
In general, sales tax is required on all purchases of tangible personal property to its ultimate consumer. Medical devices such as prosthetics and dental implant fixtures are exempt from sales tax with the exception of prosthetic teeth such as dentures, dental orthotics/orthopedic devices, and dental crowns which the state treats as personal property. If one is to call Sacramento and inquire as to why this is the case the Department of Equalization replies that it has to do with a weak lobby on the part of the California Dental Association (CDA). Dental Laboratories charge a sales tax on denture/prosthetic repairs despite they are providing a repair service. This practice although technically illegal continues throughout California without any enforcement by The Board of Equalization. The sales tax on these devices are paid by the dentist and is usually passed to the patient through the dental services fee. Services are not subject to sales tax (but may be subject to other taxes). Liability for sales tax attaches to the seller, not the buyer; but the seller is allowed by law to collect the tax from the buyer (and if the seller does so, the buyer is obligated to pay it). Unprepared food, bakery items, hot beverages, livestock, crops and seeds, fertilizer used to grow food, certain devices related to alternative energy, and one-time sales are among the items exempt from sales tax.
Critics of the current sales tax regime charge that it gives local governments an incentive to promote commercial development (through zoning and other regulations) over residential development, including the use of eminent domain condemnation proceedings to transfer real estate to higher sales tax generating businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post
Plus I am not sure what Texas uses their taxes for, because their roads are crap, unless you use a toll road and there is no such thing as social services here. Taxes suck whereever, just a sign of the times.

The roads are crappy here as well. You will tear your car up driving around the city of SF. I have never seen worse roads in my entire life.

Just wait until you get here. You will certainly wonder what CA does with all that money they take from us and yet the state is still broke! 3 cities have already filed for bankruptcy in this state recently.

TX may have higher property taxes but the houses are a fraction of what you will pay for a house here. So basically it is a wash...but you actually come out better in TX if you are not rich. Here to get a nice house in a desirable area of CA you will be paying a huge amount for that house.

Believe me when you get here you will very much appreciate how TX runs their state compared to what you are going to find here.

Depends on the county you are moving to but CA has some of the highest taxes in the US.

I hope you really research what you will be paying to live here. It is a two income state to live as comfortably as you do in Houston. Even though I make 6 figures the amount of money taken out of my check would barely allow me to live as comfortably as I did in Houston.

You will find that certain posters who hate TX will try and turn this into a TX vs. CA war.

I am just simply giving you the straight up facts of what I have learned and experienced since moving here.

You will be taxed more here than any other place you could move to in the US besides New York.

I just want you to be informed before you move out here. I personally would not do it on what they are paying you if you plan on living as comfortably as you do in Houston and be able to save for retirement.

If I was not making what I am and I did not have a partner to share our housing costs with...I would not have moved here.

The nature and weather are great but you will be paying dearly for it.

If you are young and adventurous then I would go for it just to experience the beauty of CA.

Last edited by TVC15; 10-10-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Nope wrong again. I live in Northern CA. I really wish you would post credible vs. ignorant things.

OP do not take tax lessons from this poster...he is completely clueless about the tax system and how it works.

This is a good link to help you calculate taxes between states. State Tax Rates

Your total tax burden depends on many factors and is not a straight across the board number as he is trying to convience you of. It depends on how much you make, how many dependents you have, if you are renting or owning, your investments, number of deductions and so on and so forth. Anyone who thinks it is a straight across the board number has no clue what they are talking about.
A. No, you do not live Northern California, you live in the Bay Area, a horse of a different color, and depending on where, much more akin to Mordor than to the Shire.

I get my tax information from the most respected Conservative tax organization in the country. The figures I give, are not mine, they are its, and available to anyone who cares to research.

And of course, as any competent analyst will tell you, they are averages, which is why I commonly post the following for any possible non competent analysts out there: (For the quibblers, yes, these are averages)

To make blanket attacks like this:
Quote:
does not reflect well on Christ- like values.

I have likely, paid taxes for far longer than you have been alive, and paid vastly more in taxes than you have, As part of Total state and county tax burden, property taxes are included, we pay well over 6 figures per year in property tax, you may infer from that number, that our interest in California's "tax system is rather substantial.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
A. No, you do not live Northern California, you live in the Bay Area, a horse of a different color, and depending on where, much more akin to Mordor than to the Shire.

I get my tax information from the most respected Conservative tax organization in the country. The figures I give, are not mine, they are its, and available to anyone who cares to research.

And of course, as any competent analyst will tell you, they are averages, which is why I commonly post the following for any possible non competent analysts out there: (For the quibblers, yes, these are averages)

To make blanket attacks like this: does not reflect well on Christ- like values.

I have likely, paid taxes for far longer than you have been alive, and paid vastly more in taxes than you have, As part of Total state and county tax burden, property taxes are included, we pay well over 6 figures per year in property tax, you may infer from that number, that our interest in California's "tax system is rather substantial.
You sure make CA citizens look very ignorant.

San Francisco is in Northern CA

Northern California is the northern portion of the U.S. state of California. The San Francisco Bay Area (which includes the cities of San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose), and Sacramento (the state capital) as well as its metropolitan area are the main population centers
Northern California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure what you are talking about with Christ like values. This conversation has nothing to do with organized religion.

If I were you I would run to the nearest University and take economic courses. You have zero clue on how the tax structure works.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You sure make CA citizens look very ignorant.

San Francisco is in Northern CA

Northern California is the northern portion of the U.S. state of California. The San Francisco Bay Area (which includes the cities of San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose), and Sacramento (the state capital) as well as its metropolitan area are the main population centers
Northern California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure what you are talking about with Christ like values. This conversation has nothing to do with organized religion.

If I were you I would run to the nearest University and take economic courses. You have zero clue on how the tax structure works.

for some reason, you come across as very defensive and hostile, why? The Bay Area has nothing in common with, Alturas, Susanville, Redding, Red Bluff, Gridley, East Biggs, Whiskeytown, Hayfork. That is Northern California, a culture and a state of mind, not merely geography.

One should reflect Christ like values in one's, it is a question of world view. Apparently, it is not I who reject facts, not that that is unusual, it is, the preferred operant of the Conservative.

Now, since you know nothing of the Central Coast, and your posts are full of angry bitterness at taxes and California in general, may I request that you remove yourself from the discussion on relocating to the Central Coast, which is, after all, a culture and a state of mind, not just a geographic area.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
for some reason, you come across as very defensive and hostile, why? The Bay Area has nothing in common with, Alturas, Susanville, Redding, Red Bluff, Gridley, East Biggs, Whiskeytown, Hayfork. That is Northern California, a culture and a state of mind, not merely geography.

One should reflect Christ like values in one's, it is a question of world view. Apparently, it is not I who reject facts, not that that is unusual, it is, the preferred operant of the Conservative.

Now, since you know nothing of the Central Coast, and your posts are full of angry bitterness at taxes and California in general, may I request that you remove yourself from the discussion on relocating to the Central Coast, which is, after all, a culture and a state of mind, not just a geographic area.
Have you lost your marbles? Anyone who proves that you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about is hostile and defensive? OK that's a new one on me.

You make ignorant assumptions all the time. I am proving you wrong all the time. Call it what you want but if I were you I would educate myself before I post ridiculous statements like San Francisco is not in Northern CA or that the total tax burden difference between TX and CA is 2.7%

It is amazing that anyone could actually believe this and then post it. Amazing.

No bitterness here...just informing someone who is considering moving here from far away.

I am not into misleading anyone from another state that does not understand what they are about to walk into. How is that bitter?

Christ like values...WTH are you talking about? Boy you sure are a total hypocrite if that is your belief system.

BTW I don't believe in organized religion so you can save your Christ like speech.

Your disdain for TX is the only reason you keep trying to deter from this thread. The OP is asking questions about moving here. The locals where he is moving can answer his housing questions. But a Texan who moved here 3 years ago can certainly shed more light on his situation. People who live here can't relate to the huge tax difference between the states. The huge car registration fees not just the initial fee...every year when he renews it is going to be in the hundreds not in the 75-80$ range that he pays in Houston. There are things that you guys don't think about since you have lived here most of your life.

Moving here from a state that runs itself very differently than CA can really be portrayed more informatively from a person who actually moved here from TX.

This thread is for the OP to learn about the differences and costs associated with moving here. I have provided solid answers based on my experiences of moving here. He will also experience the same thing and I am happy to inform him so he can make a wise choice for himself.

Sorry OP this is the one poster who will turn any thread that has to do with TX into a TX vs. CA war.

He thinks if anyone mentions the higher price you will pay to live here that equates to bashing CA...go figure

Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times
Quote:
Darn, I had forgotten, they speak English there too. Are you turning into User? Arguing for the sake of arguing? Why don't you leave the internet alone, start dating young ladies, go for a hike with one, take her to supper, you know, do what other "young people" do.
Yes, it's true .highnlite the world changed while you were away in the military and in Nevada. It's time to realize it.

I await the Lord to guide me to the right girl who will be my wife.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,765,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
U19, have you ever thought that maybe you might be discussing these "caps" with a professional who knows a thing or two that "caps" don't exist with the exception of either a)water, b) sewer?
I'm only looking at trends. AG grew by about 1,000 population in the last decade, Given, the economic down turn it's possible Arroyo Grande will grow a little less than 1,000 population. The population is at 17,252 from the 2010 census. AG is close enough to SLO and Santa Maria for jobs, so population will grow.

I don't know what will happen with Pismo Beach, but the city coffers are doing good. Perhaps once homes drop low enough in price in Pismo and more competition helps lower prices (Spanish Springs housing development), then it's possible to see a population increase.

I have heard Nipomo residents want to purchase a pipleline for more water. If this happen, there would be population growth. Nipomo is aiming to incorporate too.

Oceano and Grover Beach I don't see growing by very much, and perhaps maybe 100-500 for Grover Beach. Grover Beach grew by about 100 people this decade and Oceano by about 20.

I'm interested to see what happens with Oceano and Grover Beach this decade. Maybe Pismo, AG, Grover, and Oceano leaders will come together to come to an agreement about possible city mergers. I think it's likely Oceano would be consolidated into Arroyo Grande since the incorporated communities are pushing things on Oceano like the homeless shelter and the problem with the sewage plant. Oceano can no longer stand having allthe crime and homeless population pushed into their community and not enough law enforcement to stablize the problem.

Last edited by the city; 10-10-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California