Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM

14 posts, read 26,682 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing next week at CalPoly for a faculty position, and I have one day extra to see the area. It seems like there is a tremendous amount to see (which is great).

Any suggestions where to start? If I am offered the job and I take it, I will be moving in August. I have one horse that I will need to board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM

30 posts, read 86,732 times
Good luck with that interivew. You'll probably want to check out downtown SLO, since it is the most bustling place in the County, which is not really all that bustling at all. Its a nice walkable area with lots a shops and restaurants. The best thing about SLO County to me is the outdoor opportunites and open space. North of Morro Bay is beautiful open coastline with only small towns. You could drive up the coast to Cambria or San Simeon and take a hike or walk, grab lunch in town. The wine industry is also big in the County, so you could head back on 46 through wine country into Paso Robles and back down to SLO. I don't know much about horses, but between Paso and SLO, and down towards Arroyo Grande, there seems to be plenty of properties where horses are kept.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 PM

10 posts, read 15,098 times
You can probably board at Cal Poly if you work there.
A good boarding stable is Home

There will be boarding with a very good trainer opening soon on Los Osos Valley road.

Are you a trail or arena rider? Lots of endurance riders around here, lots of riders of all sorts. SLO County has 2,000 horses (at least).

If I had just a few hours, I would drive to Morro Bay and walk the piers, then a quick drive to Montana De Oro and wander around Spooner Cove.

June 4 there will be an endurance race out there.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,765 times
If you will be there on a Thursday evening the Farmer's Market in downtown SLO is a popular place to be. There is normally some form of entertainment going on as well as street BBQs.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Go for it! The only complaint I ever hear about SLO is the cost of housing. Stay IN SLO if you can. The commutes from other areas will be expensive and boring after awhile. I have relatives in Cambria. I would not recommend it as a place to live. The beaches are nice but there's NOTHING there but good restaurants and bad art galleries. Best wishes for your new job!!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Default Visited...not sure if going yet

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I am still not sure if I will be moving to SLO or not, but it was beautiful. Housing in SLO seems very high for what you get.

I did notice several options for my horse.

Many of the people I met mainly complained about a few things: cost, lack of shopping and too many students. Since I've in college towns for the past 10 years, I am used to students. I didn't really have time to investigate shopping, though.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM

I have an 6 yo Appaloosa mare; she is a western pleasure horse. I plan on showing ApHC level. I would like to board at a place with other people who are into stock horses, if possible.

What kind of trainer is opening on Los Osos Valley road?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,681,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8wma View Post
I have an 6 yo Appaloosa mare; she is a western pleasure horse. I plan on showing ApHC level. I would like to board at a place with other people who are into stock horses, if possible.

What kind of trainer is opening on Los Osos Valley road?
There are all sorts of horse operations and horse trainers around here. Cutting and Team roping is popular.

The trainer who is planning to open on Los Osos Valley Road is a general horse trainer.

For specific answers you might give these folks a call; Home

Quote:
Housing in SLO seems very high for what you get.
What is an appropriate price for the "happiest town in America"?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 PM

I see your point about the Happiest Town thing.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8wma View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies!

I am still not sure if I will be moving to SLO or not, but it was beautiful. Housing in SLO seems very high for what you get.

I did notice several options for my horse.

Many of the people I met mainly complained about a few things: cost, lack of shopping and too many students. Since I've in college towns for the past 10 years, I am used to students. I didn't really have time to investigate shopping, though.
Costco, Home Depot, Sear's, Kohl's, Forever 21, and Target are your shopping options along Madonna Road and Los Osos Valley Road.

In downtown, there are a couple clothing stores like Talbots, Urban Outfitters, Pottery Barn, Barnes N Nobles, etc...

Along South Hiquera Street is Trader Joes. And along Los Osos Valley Road is New Frontiers which is our equivalent to New Frontiers.

If you want Macy's you will have to drive 30 minutes south to the Santa Maria Town Center Mall until they build one in San Luis Obispo, and thats if they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California