Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 06:05 AM

29 posts, read 55,788 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan to move to Calgary in the summer of 2019. I'm actually new to Canada (I'm a Permanent Resident, US citizen) and I haven't been to Calgary before but my husband has and loves it. He's a Canadian.

All but one of our kids are grown (he's 17) so I'm not concerned about elementary schools or high schools. I am interested in learning more about the universities in the area.

Is Calgary as windy as people claim it to be or are these just exaggerations? Lol. I've lived in Chicago so I'm sure I'd be able to handle whatever "wind" comes my way.

What's the purpose of this thread you ask? Oh, I'm just saying hello and chatting a bit. I plan to visit Calgary in early 2018 to scout the area. I'm a project manager (IT but looking to re-enter the Energy industry). I want to make some connections and prepare for yet another BIG MOVE for the family and I.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any comments given. Unless, of course, they're the meanie weanie comments. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,094 times
I only just moved here myself earlier this year but I haven't really noticed the wind so far. Calgary is great place to live and is a great outdoor city as well, especially with the mountains so close. There isn't as much activity on this board but some will pop up occasionally to help out.

Good luck with the move.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,573,191 times
In my experience, Calgary is not particularly windy. I've lived in rural Alberta and Saskatchewan, and I am originally from the Chicago area. I am used to wind.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:28 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,969,830 times
Calgary has Chinook Winds throughout the winter, which means windy, warm weather. There are two universities: Mount Royal University, and University of Calgary. MRU used to be a college and is still building a reputation. UC opened fifty years ago, and offers degrees in Vet Med, Medicine, Business, Education, Engineering, Social Work, Computer Science, and more. The former Prime Minister graduated from UC in Economics. Check admission requirements, as they are quite high and USA high school courses need to be evaluated for Canadian equivalents. MRU has lower requirements and in some cases it is possible to transfer to UC after two years at MRU for degree completion.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Check admission requirements, as they are quite high and USA high school courses need to be evaluated for Canadian equivalents. MRU has lower requirements and in some cases it is possible to transfer to UC after two years at MRU for degree completion.
My youngest is graduating from his high school here in Nova Scotia (where we currently reside). I don't think he will have an issue based on any USA high school courses since they were in the 9th grade and as I've learned since our move here, Nova Scotia High School starts at the 10th grade. He does get to use those credits earned in the US towards his graduation requirements though.

Interestingly, the USA seems to have a lot more requirements than schools here in Canada. Our oldest kids all went to secondary school here and did not graduate from Canada. The evaluation process was quite easy and seamless.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
In my experience, Calgary is not particularly windy. I've lived in rural Alberta and Saskatchewan, and I am originally from the Chicago area. I am used to wind.
Another US Citizen? Are you a dual citizen? Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 10,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by not4nuthin View Post
My family and I plan to move to Calgary in the summer of 2019. I'm actually new to Canada (I'm a Permanent Resident, US citizen) and I haven't been to Calgary before but my husband has and loves it. He's a Canadian.

All but one of our kids are grown (he's 17) so I'm not concerned about elementary schools or high schools. I am interested in learning more about the universities in the area.

Is Calgary as windy as people claim it to be or are these just exaggerations? Lol. I've lived in Chicago so I'm sure I'd be able to handle whatever "wind" comes my way.

What's the purpose of this thread you ask? Oh, I'm just saying hello and chatting a bit. I plan to visit Calgary in early 2018 to scout the area. I'm a project manager (IT but looking to re-enter the Energy industry). I want to make some connections and prepare for yet another BIG MOVE for the family and I.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any comments given. Unless, of course, they're the meanie weanie comments. Lol.

Hi There... We are more or less in similar situation... may have to move in early 2019 (Feb or Mar)? I want to know about cost of living... How good is 100k Job offer in Calgary compared to 110k in Toronto?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,737 times
Calgary is an amazing city, I hope you and your family love it as much as I do!

As others have mentioned, it can get windy, but for someone whose lived in 'the windy city', it probably won't be too much of an adjustment for you.

Universities:
University of Calgary (I'm an alumni, happy to answer any questions)
Mount Royal University
St Mary's University

Depending on subjects, class sizes in the latter two universities can be considerably smaller compared to the large class sizes in many UofC courses.

What areas of study is your son interested in studying?

I'm a local Realtor, I know the city well, so please feel free to ask any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary