Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,072 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that I will be moving to Calgary for a job I am trying to secure. My primary place of work would be at the airport (YYC) however not at the physical terminal. The office would be accessed from the southern part of the airport (off . I am 25, single, and doing some preliminary research for where I'd want to live.

Having lived in the suburbs of Toronto, I'm used to being able to get on a highway and get to work in 30-40 minutes during rush-hour. That being said, I'm not sure of Calgary's traffic situation but I don't imagine it any worse than the 401 across Toronto during busy times. I'd rather drive 30km on the highway than drive 15km traffic. I want to live somewhere that is transit-accessible to get around should I not want to drive (a night out, etc). As I don't work in downtown Calgary (nor will I ever) I'd prefer to be somewhere cheaper than directly downtown. At the moment I have a good high school friend who moved several years ago who lives in SW part about 10 minutes south of DT. He suggested I may like Crescent Heights or Bridgeland (as they are near the TransCanada/Deerfoot). My biggest concern is 1) I don't want to live in a low-income/rundown area and 2) an ethnic enclave. At the same time, an affluent neighbourhood probably wouldn't give me the price or crowd I'd want. My budget for a 1 bed/1 bath apartment is around $1100-1300. For that price you can get a decent apartment in mid-town Toronto (along the main subway line).

In a nutshell I want (from most to least important):

1) Save/Clean neighbourhood
2) Affordable
3) A young (20s/30s) professional demographic
4) Near primary highways
5) Near transit (CTrain?)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
You can't get that list in Calgary for that budget.

Probably one of the best areas for you would be in the Inglewood/Bridgeland area, but you'd have to near double your budget unless you want something along the lines of a bachelor apartment. A two bedroom will be over $2000.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You can't get that list in Calgary for that budget.

Probably one of the best areas for you would be in the Inglewood/Bridgeland area, but you'd have to near double your budget unless you want something along the lines of a bachelor apartment. A two bedroom will be over $2000.
I am interested in a 1 bedroom. $1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment does not seem overly low cost-wise. As much as one will say it's not possible to compare Toronto to Calgary, if I can get a 1 bedroom in a desirable young area of Toronto (Yonge/Eglinton or slightly further south for example) for $1100 something in Calgary cannot be so much more.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:55 PM

250 posts, read 643,396 times
Calgary rental prices are a bit odd, especially private landlords instead of the corporations. Perhaps it's the low inventory, but the market hasnt really settled on a common price range. Dumps in crummy neighbourhoods go for 2k a month, but reasonable places in more desirable locations can be had for under 1200. Your budget will limit your options, but if you work hard and have a bit of luck, you can find a modest, but well kept place in a popular neighbourhood.

I currntly rent a smallish 2 bedroom (not a basement) in Sunnyside and pay only 1200 including heat, water, and power. Less than 2 years ago, I was in a two bedroom duplex in marda loop with a basemebt, big yard (for city lots), and a garage for less than 1400. I had to vacate when the house was sold and the owner chose to rebuild.

So don't dispair!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM

250 posts, read 643,396 times
Bridgeland and Crescent heights are both good neighbourhoods. Young demographic, lots of restaurants etc. the neighbourhoods are close, but bridgeland is closer to the train.

Other walkable neighbourhoods are sunnyside, hull hurst, bank view, sunalta, mission, erlton, and inglewood. Most of the neighbourhoods surrounding, but not in downtown would be worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary