Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 07:52 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,815,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderfulAlex View Post
I know people that have been searching for 6 months to a year and still can't find a job. People are being forced to settle for lower level positions and less pay. That's the reality.
Yeah, reality sucks. Sometimes you have to take what's available and work your way up. Duh. I've taken laterals, and even taken demotions within an organization to get to a different department where I could see a better path forward for me eventually (playing "job frogg*r). One has to be flexible and creative if you want to really get ahead. If they took the lower paying job 6 months ago, they'd have 6 months of salary that they don't have now, and a look at the employer from the inside to see where their opportunities lie, or if this is even the company they want to be at. At least they'd have more experience on their resume instead of a big gaping hole.

Are they looking only in their city, or are they willing to move for a job? Are they restricting their applications to certain industries where their skills might be applicable to many other industries also? Are they willing to take a job at a lower salary if it has the possibility of promotion in a relatively short time period? Have they researched public employers as well as private industry? Are they in a unique field with severely limited number of opportunities or something (i.e. marine biologists or underwater basket weavers)? Flexibility and an open mind are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 05:48 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,739,973 times
Quote:
I know people that have been searching for 6 months to a year and still can't find a job. People are being forced to settle for lower level positions and less pay. That's the reality.
Lower level and less pay? That’s how most people create a foundation to grow from. I went from making six figures in a sales role to making $30,000 when I started my own business. I was making $350,000++ by the time I retired. Success is always moving forward, but not necessarily straight forward.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:23 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,815,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Lower level and less pay? That’s how most people create a foundation to grow from. I went from making six figures in a sales role to making $30,000 when I started my own business. I was making $350,000++ by the time I retired. Success is always moving forward, but not necessarily straight forward.
Exactly. Take "what you can get now" while you look for/work towards what you want. I ended my career at 5 times what I made when I started.

I'm reminded of my step-niece, a very smart and hard-working young lady. She graduated with her degree in engineering and wanted to stay in the state to be near her parents as they age. She couldn't find anything in her state in engineering for over 3 years after graduating, but she didn't sit around waiting or taking unemployment. She worked multiple jobs, one full-time doing clerical and data entry work at the university she graduated from, one job doing weekend catering jobs with her aunt and uncle's business, and one bookkeeping for the church she attends. She never stopped her job search for engineering work though. She finally got an engineering job last year with the state government and has excellent benefits and retirement, and with all her work she's done since graduation, she bought her own little house this year before she turned 30.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-07-2024 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-11-2024, 09:47 PM

767 posts, read 422,607 times
Quote:
I know financial independence is a dream that many people have, but few are able to attain. The reality is that most people have to work for someone else, and finding a good job in this economy is extremely challenging.

Have any of you managed to escape the rat race and build a reliable income source so you can leave your 9-5 job?
If so, what do you do and how did you get there?

If you're not 100% financially independent, do you have a consistent side income?

Looking for some ideas.
No I am not financially independent.I am dirt poor and broke as a joke.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

18,873 posts, read 8,524,322 times
Quote:
I know financial independence is a dream that many people have, but few are able to attain. The reality is that most people have to work for someone else, and finding a good job in this economy is extremely challenging.

Have any of you managed to escape the rat race and build a reliable income source so you can leave your 9-5 job?
If so, what do you do and how did you get there?

If you're not 100% financially independent, do you have a consistent side income?

Looking for some ideas.
100%. But back to work part time since I'm bored and love the work.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

8,744 posts, read 3,921,999 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone here financially independent?
Yes, I am financially independent at the age of 50. That said, those who look at their life’s work negatively or only within the context of a ‘rat race’ (and how soon they can escape it) are obviously the type of folks who never achieve optimal success/wealth. OP, what you’ve described is a clock-watcher who is unhappy and/or looking for a shortcut.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

8,006 posts, read 3,940,828 times
Quote:
Regarding the bolded word above, I don't think it means what you seem to think it means.

Regardless, when someone voluntarily takes a job the market is telling them what their skills are worth. Sometimes it is more than they used to make, sometimes it is less. It is a signal to the employee about their value-add to the economy and hence to society.

That signal tells them that if they want more, they must *earn* more through adding ever more value to the economy and society. There are many strategies to do so: relocation to an area where existing skills are in higher demand, learn brand new skills that are currently in high demand, get a side hustle, even start your own business. One of the fantastic things about being born in the USA is just how many wonderful opportunities there are to make money.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
Quote:
Regardless, when someone voluntarily takes a job the market is telling them what their skills are worth.
Only if the employer is OMNICIENT, few are.
As for "the market", unless someone is able to put himself up for judgment by an INFINITE number of potential employers does "the market" tell him anything.

Job??
Is it possible the word derived from the biblical JOB who suffered every degradation his "benevolent" God could think of. That would be quite apt.
If not, then it is quite a coincidence.

Old Today, 08:00 AM

8,744 posts, read 3,921,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Job??
Is it possible the word derived from the biblical JOB who suffered every degradation his "benevolent" God could think of. That would be quite apt.
If not, then it is quite a coincidence.
You’re confusing Job (a proper noun/name) vs. job (a piece of work or something to be done). The origin of the latter being ‘jobbe of worke’ (1500s) which made the distinction between it and indentured labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business