Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 08:46 AM

717 posts, read 457,515 times

Advertisements

Several friends complained this is not right that they will only buy my stuff if I sell for exactly the inventory purchase cost of all inventory but if I do that how do I pay for my time, marketing, maintenance?

Are we supposed to use our savings for that or are you allowed to compensate yourself for time? If I’m putting 90 hours a week of my time in and I can only sell
At cost and I can’t pay for my own childcare how do I make money ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 08:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 2,371,880 times
You run a business and your question for us is should that business earn a profit? Isn’t that the purpose of all enterprise?

Old 07-04-2021, 09:14 AM

32,757 posts, read 48,460,461 times
No problem. Don't sell to your friends.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:18 AM

5,303 posts, read 5,270,590 times
How do your friends know how much you are paying for things? Do you think when they buy things off of Amazon or the grocery store, that they arent paying some sort of mark up? If you cant make a profit, theres no point in you selling things.

Do you think your friends would sell items with no markup at all? Run a business, not a charity.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:36 AM

13,302 posts, read 8,534,555 times
Once you have churned years of consistent profits you can share the wealth. Or hand outs.

My one boss made many a business bed buddy by giving free products and service. We were a network business. It cost him nothing . It cost the company dern near 200k to 300k. But gosh it was swell to work for a guy who thought nothing of blowing 50k in sponsoring a golf tournament while firing folks because gosh golly the 'family' needed a seat on his lucretative business.
Welcome to capitalism. And welcome to being an owner who will in time scratch backs.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:24 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,402,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
How do your friends know how much you are paying for things? Do you think when they buy things off of Amazon or the grocery store, that they arent paying some sort of mark up? If you cant make a profit, theres no point in you selling things.

Do you think your friends would sell items with no markup at all? Run a business, not a charity.
He never said they know, just what they want.

Cutting friends a deal is up to you. A lot of people do something like 10-20% over cost for friends and family.

They don't sound like very good friends, but if you're outside the US there may or may not be cultural differences coming into play...

Old 07-04-2021, 01:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 4,671,731 times
I would never go to a friend's business expecting them to cut me a deal that isn't available to others.
If I'm patronizing their business, unless prices are typically negotiable, I'm there as any other customer. If I really think their prices are a ripoff and I can find something for a fairer price elsewhere, I'm just going to go there instead.

If my friend offers it, I'm still probably going to offer to pay the price others pay just because I want to support their business as a customer, but would probably take them up on it if they still insist.

Expecting a discount by default seems very entitled.

Old 07-04-2021, 01:32 PM

19,181 posts, read 27,824,046 times
  • A business is defined as an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities.
  • Businesses can be for-profit entities or non-profit organizations.
  • There are various forms of a business, such as a limited liability company (LLC), a sole proprietorship, a corporation, and a partnership.
  • Businesses can range from small operations operating in one industry to large operations operating in many industries around the world.

OP, if you want to run a charity, make sure you are tax exempt. And that you have good, solid donors.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:35 AM

10,937 posts, read 5,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
  • A business is defined as an organization or enterprising entity engaged in commercial, industrial, or professional activities.
  • Businesses can be for-profit entities or non-profit organizations.
  • There are various forms of a business, such as a limited liability company (LLC), a sole proprietorship, a corporation, and a partnership.
  • Businesses can range from small operations operating in one industry to large operations operating in many industries around the world.

OP, if you want to run a charity, make sure you are tax exempt. And that you have good, solid donors.
Plagiarism is a pretty low class thing to do.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
When I had a business I would occasionally give a discount to friends/family members, but still covered my cost plus a bit of profit. Generally it was 10-15% profit rather than the usual 37%. For them it was a lot better deal than going elsewhere. On several occasions I would get asked for a discount by churches, claiming they were "non-profit." My response was "I am not non-profit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business