Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 03:17 PM

5,750 posts, read 2,650,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You said it yourself. HAVE TO GO. Lots of people HAVE to go to work, they hate it but they have to. I did that and I did bare minimum not to get fired, lasted a long time too. The job is still there when things open up.
But from home, I am excited to do work, I like it, I do great. A lot of people can benefit from WFH.

Young kids who want to connect and mingle are welcome to storm the city if they want to.
Are you slow...soooo many jobs in NYC are required to be at work. Yah they HAVE To go to work because it's an in person job
You are stuck in the mindset everyone has an office job.

Not peoples fault you choose a job and career you clearly aren't happy with and to live so far away from your job. You took that job. No one forced you. No one forced you either to live in LI and work a job in the city. Take some accountability for your life decisions. I hope your job will require you to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 03:20 PM

19,079 posts, read 14,032,583 times
That's mean. And your last sentence comes across as jealousy.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-03-2021, 03:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,299 times
Big spending politicians needs to realize that nyc won’t be center of the universe like before.

I won’t be back to Manhattan for rest of 2021 for regular work. My commuter lot is still empty as of yesterday

Old 06-03-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That's mean. And your last sentence comes across as jealousy.
How so?

Old 06-03-2021, 03:43 PM

19,079 posts, read 14,032,583 times
Why do you care what his job does?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-03-2021, 03:44 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,342,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Are you slow...soooo many jobs in NYC are required to be at work. Yah they HAVE To go to work because it's an in person job
You are stuck in the mindset everyone has an office job.

Not peoples fault you choose a job and career you clearly aren't happy with and to live so far away from your job. You took that job. No one forced you. No one forced you either to live in LI and work a job in the city. Take some accountability for your life decisions. I hope your job will require you to go back.
But w/o those "office jobs" people going back to NYC, many of the in person jobs specifically the service industry won't exist. You can't eliminate 1.1-1.2m office workers in Manhattan and expect restaurants to not cut back staff. The vendors etc that setup shop outside trains that rely on the commuters. It's a huge domino effect. At some point if riders don't return the MTA is going to have to cutback on staff.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:55 PM

608 posts, read 241,339 times
I had to go to work physically the while time but, I had to deal with less traffic and crowds. Thankfully my job is easy, and I can actually drive to it without parking fees, signs, etc...

I support people working from home when possible. People working from home incur less stress, less costs, the businesses incur less costs on overpriced real estate, and I'm sure there are some infrastructure and ecology related benefits to this as well.

When I go through Midtown Manhattan now, especially after a full year of the economy working mostly fine from home and, business being damaged wighout reprisal due to last June's riots, I ask myself "Why do we need Midtown?" It's overpriced, overcrowded, while at the same time being underserved and underprotected. Nobody really likes being there anymore, it was just some place people most people went to because they had to go to work.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:04 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
How so?
Because it sounds like because you HAVE to go to work that you hope he does too. You said I hope your office REQUIRES you to go back. Why? He enjoys working from home and his employer has given him that option, so what's the problem?

Old 06-03-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Because it sounds like because you HAVE to go to work that you hope he does too. You said I hope your office REQUIRES you to go back. Why? He enjoys working from home and his employer has given him that option, so what's the problem?
Well if he wants to make fun of people who go to a job and call them sheep, I hope his employer will start requiring him to be back in the office so he can be one of those he just made fun of.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,086,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
But w/o those "office jobs" people going back to NYC, many of the in person jobs specifically the service industry won't exist. You can't eliminate 1.1-1.2m office workers in Manhattan and expect restaurants to not cut back staff. The vendors etc that setup shop outside trains that rely on the commuters. It's a huge domino effect. At some point if riders don't return the MTA is going to have to cutback on staff.
All of that sounds like it's time for the city to re-strategize instead of clinging to the past. Same goes for other cities losing office-presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business