Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 AM

128 posts, read 100,298 times

Advertisements

Bhikkhu has a recorded lecture on YouTube on bridging the two vehicles. He is speaking of bridging the gap between Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism. The life of Bhikkhu Bodhi exemplifies bridging the two vehicles. He earned his doctorate in Philosophy from Claremont University and then went on to live in Sri Lanka and become arguably the greatest living Pali and Early Buddhist scholar. He is a Theravada bhikkhu, but usually resides in a Chinese Ch'an Mahayana monastery in the United States.

In looking at the history of Buddhism, Bhikkhu Bodhi speaks of Early Buddhism, which was the first three years dating from the death of Siddhartha Gautama. This involved an oral tradition, memorized and passed down through the years, and constitute the Nikayas, or early collections. The Pali Canon was translated into Chinese and Sinhala, for world distribution. This is the reason that Buddhism of all varieties have a common background of parables and stories. The parables of the raft, the Simsapa leaves, and the poisoned arrow are encountered in all varieties of Buddhism.

Bhikkhu Bodhi goes on to differentiate Buddhism between what he terms the conservative and progressive varieties. The conservatives comprise the world of Theravada, which venerates the Pali Canon, the five original Nikayas transmitted and recorded in the Pali language. The progressives accept the Nikayas, which were known in Chinese as the Agamas. However, Mahayana developed additional liturgical material and concepts. The famous Heart Sutra was written approximately one thousand years after the historical Buddha walked the earth. To a conservative these later works in Sanskrit and Chinese were not really legitimate.

Mahayana went on to develop concepts of the Bodhisattva and sunyata. Theravada speaks of the Arhants, or enlightened individuals, but Mahayana takes it to a much higher level. The closest historical parallel would probably be that of the Jain concept of the Tirthankaras, or world teachers. According to progressive of Mahayanists, the bodhisatta were world saviors who would delay their own enlightenment until all sentient beings achieved it first. This is a paradigm shift that is unacceptable to a conservative.

However, despite some good natured dialogue between the two vehicles, Buddhism never experienced the violent schisms in both Christianity and Islam. A Thirty Years War never happened in the gently and benign teachings of the Blessed One.

Comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 AM

128 posts, read 100,298 times
Default correction

The Third Buddhist Council occurred three hundred years after the life of Buddha. I apologize for the typo.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM

50,911 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Theravada Buddhism is the form of Buddhism I encountered through my visits to, and living in, Thailand. So it's what I'm familiar with.

One of the things that I've talked to my local monks here in Colorado Springs is the difference between what I'll call "denominational Buddhism" and "cultural Buddhism"...and that concept extends to christianity, as well. I think that Buddhists (and christians, and especially catholics) get very wrapped up in the dogma of the organization. I think one of the conversations that affected me the most in terms of Buddhism was with a monk in Bangkok. It was during one of my long summers in Thailand, and I was lamenting that in America it's much more difficult to learn about Buddhism because it is far more difficult to find a temple. There was a nice, gentle smile, and then he said, "You want to learn about Buddhism? Buy a book. [pause] You see this temple. You see the Buddha statue. You see the lotuses, the incense, and the candles. And they all have nothing to do with real Buddhism". And then he put his hand on my forehead and said, "Everything you need as a Buddhist is right here". And he was so right...because at temples after that I focused on all these people doing the rituals (just like in other religions)...and I wonder...are they actually thinking about Buddhist concepts. And mostly I think the answer is no. They sit there during meditations and chantings and seem enrapt...in ceremonies that focus on the Pali language...something they don't understand a word of. Do they think about Buddhist concepts? To what extent?

You probably wonder where I'm going with this. If Theravada leads to actually contemplating Buddhist concepts, that's fine with me. If Mahayana leads to actually contemplating Buddhist concepts, that's fine with me. If the trends in the West in Buddhism leads to actually contemplating Buddhist concepts, that's fine with me. Some religions are about the organization. Others are more about the individual. I think Buddhism should be much more about the latter.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:58 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
There is already a bridge between the various Greater Vehicles and the various Vehicles of the Elders, and it's the Elders' Greatest Vehicle of Enlightenment itself.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
There is already a bridge between the various Greater Vehicles and the various Vehicles of the Elders, and it's the Elders' Greatest Vehicle of Enlightenment itself.
I don't even know what that means.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't even know what that means.
In other words, the bridge between Mahayana and Theravada is the core Buddhism that they share.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 PM

But what is that.

A few months ago I was talking with a Thai Theravada Buddhist abbot, and I asked him if he had ever been to a Mahayana temple, and he said yes, in Vietnam...several times. I asked him for his impressions. He laughed and said, "I did not know what they were doing".

On the other sub-forum, one of my criticisms about christianity has been why there are so many different denominations.

I think it's fair to ask why there needs to be different sects of Buddhism. Where is that core you speak of?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
But what is that.

A few months ago I was talking with a Thai Theravada Buddhist abbot, and I asked him if he had ever been to a Mahayana temple, and he said yes, in Vietnam...several times. I asked him for his impressions. He laughed and said, "I did not know what they were doing".

On the other sub-forum, one of my criticisms about christianity has been why there are so many different denominations.

I think it's fair to ask why there needs to be different sects of Buddhism. Where is that core you speak of?
The Core of Perfect Wisdom artistically reflects the Nobility of the 4-fold Logical Syllogism, the conclusion of which is outlined in the 8-fold path for perfecting all aspects of sentient life and extrapolated on in further Buddhist texts.

Is there a Mahayana school that rejects the 4-fold logical syllogy?
Is there a Theravada school that rejects the 4-fold logical syllogy?

And on and on, there will be agreement and good correction.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Core of Perfect Wisdom artistically reflects the Nobility of the 4-fold Logical Syllogism, the conclusion of which is outlined in the 8-fold path for perfecting all aspects of sentient life and extrapolated on in further Buddhist texts.

Is there a Mahayana school that rejects the 4-fold logical syllogy?
Is there a Theravada school that rejects the 4-fold logical syllogy?

And on and on, there will be agreement and good correction.
I don't think you can say that on and on there will be agreement...since there are so many variations in:

" The three main branches of Buddhism are Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. But don't be fooled. There are many different types of Buddhism, including Zen, Thai Forest Tradition, and Pure Land Buddhism."

I think you just want to conveniently overlook drastically different traditions in the various sects.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think you can say that on and on there will be agreement...since there are so many variations in:

" The three main branches of Buddhism are Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. But don't be fooled. There are many different types of Buddhism, including Zen, Thai Forest Tradition, and Pure Land Buddhism."

I think you just want to conveniently overlook drastically different traditions in the various sects.
What's drastically different about them?
Do they all not believe in the contemplative life?

There is nothing irreconcilable between someone that loves square-dancing and one that loves ballet. Culture is the only wedge in there, nothing inherently exclusionary in the dances themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism