Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,465 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a wonderful book right now.... starring a dog and his private detective companion. "Dog On It" by Spencer Quinn ("A Chet and Bernie Mystery").

The dustjacket blurb by Stephen King says it all: "Spencer Quinn speaks two languages--suspense and dog-- fluently. Sometimes funny, sometimes touching, and in a few places terrifying."

I'm hating for this one to end, I'm enjoying it so much. Check it out. (Nope, I'm not related to the author!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times
This is a great thread! I've always loved animal-character books ever since reading Beatrix Potter's as a very young child.

Somewhere in my storage boxes there is a book, completely dog-eared and almost falling apart from past reading, called "Pumpkin, Ginger and Spice" about three dachshunds and their adventures. That was the first book that I was able to read all by myself, rather than having it read to me as the Beatrix Potter ones originally were.

So my list would include:

All the Beatrix Potter books
Pumpkin Ginger and Spice
Black Beauty
Watership Down
Wind in the Willows
Rikki Tikki Tavi

jsqueezer, if you like human/animal detective books I highly recommend the Joe Grey mystery series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy! Joe Grey, his ladycat friend Dulcie, and their other feline pals are a delight. A great twist is that Joe, Dulcie and some others have the unexpected ability to converse in human speech -- which must be kept a secret from all but a very few trusted human companions of course.

Mooseketeer, what is "Chocolate" about? The title alone intrigues me, LOL!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,465 times
Thanks for the recommend, frazzle!

I didn't even know I liked human/animal books (although I DID like Watership Down) but now I think I do. My reading habits had gotten so terribly serious and I was caught up in reading "important" books, forgetting that sometimes you just want to relax and go somewhere different and fun.
I will certainly check out the Joe Grey series.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Thanks to all who contributed! I am about to finish my current book (which I am really not enjoying) and was at a loss as to what to read next... until now! Now, I am so excited about what I will be reading next (and I haven't felt this way in a while--so depressing when you are not looking forward to what you'll be reading next!!)
Excellent suggestions, I can't wait to finish this book and head to the book store to check these out, thank you, thank you, thank you!!
P.S. Can't you tell how excited I am?! Look at all of the exclamation points that I've used *LOL*!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
"Hank the Cowdog" is another series of delightful animal antics.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
I think "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel sort of meets this requirement. Animal characters are featured...and, well, it's a hell of a great book.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
When I was young I adored the Freddy the Pig books.
I love the Winnie the Pooh books.
And I still cry when I read Charlotte's Web.
Animal Farm is great and chilling.
Pat the Bunny
Lengthy (the librarian in grade school actually got angry at me for checking this book out so often)
Runaway Bunny

not on the shelves, but a family favorite at my house is a collection of stories written by my son in middle school featuring a chicken (that got concerned when the coyote moved in next door and opened a fast-food chain called "Let's eat poultry"), a spider that was dating and nervous about meeting the girlfriend's parents, and others. I still laugh so hard I practically pee reading those stories out loud.

In the non-fiction arena, any and all bird guides.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:15 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,301 times
The Brementown Musicians....still a favorite. Also, the Runaway Bunny and Velveteen Rabbit. Buster the Cat Goes Out is a sentimental favorite because I had a cat Buster who looked just like the character.

Last edited by Mainer61; 05-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,509 times
I'm not really into animal characters and I didn't read Black Beauty until I was an adult but once I did it became one of my favorites.

Tale of Despereaux is good, too, as well as The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, also by DiCamillo, although the animal character is not a real animal but a toy one....

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle...what a book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books