Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 PM

269 posts, read 913,511 times

Advertisements

The Notebook, though that quite possibly be the only book I've ever read that was later a movie, oh wait I take it back...I saw Twilight ugh! I loved the book and the movie, found them to both be very powerful ... but maybe it was just me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Often it depends on what I've seen first. If I read the book and loved it I'm often disappointed in the move. But if I've seen the movie first, it never seems to ruin the book and for whatever reason I don't look back and think "oh now I think the movie was awful".

I can't remember which I did first, book or movie (I think movie) but I would add
Gone With the Wind
as a good transition.

I thought the first and second Harry Potter movies were good transitions.

For me how successful a transition is when I've read the book first is usually casting. If it seems mis cast to me I can't get past it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - beautifully shot, seemed well done, Keannu Reeves, Winonna Ryder, Gary Oldman - may be good actors but I thought they were awful casting and ruined the movie.
Same with Ann Rice's Vampire movie - the movie should have worked but I think the casting was bad. If they had just even switched Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt to each others character's it might have been better. (Vampire's must be hard to cast?

Also because of casting and not sticking with the books entirely I'd disagree with Lord of the Rings. I haven't been able to watch it in more than tiny bits and pieces.
As someone who had read the books many many times I couldn't stand any of the Hobbits in the movie - they were nothing like the characters in the book even if they were speaking right from the book. Stryder was the only decent transition.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Tops of my list, though, is The World According to Garp.
Excellent choice! Read the book first, great story and it was lol funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
Almost all of the choices for Dickens tales to movies were great. Especially the ones the Brits produced.
Of course: David Lean's Great Expectations (1946) and Oliver Twist (1948).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Shawshank Redemption, ...The Shining, The Dead Zone...
Shawshank was from King's short story novel: Different Seasons, story name: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I had read this before seeing the movie, and when I reread it, Red's narrative story, I can picture Morgan Freeman speaking the words right out of the page. Perfect movie casting. The Shining: first King novel that I read. The second was The Stand. The Dead Zone: great story, I liked Christopher Walken's performance in the movie.

I'll add a couple more:

Richard Mckenna's The Sand Pebbles (1966).
Herman Wouk's The Caine Mutiny (1954).
Cormac Ccarthy's No Country for Old Men (2007) and The Road (2009).

Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Sometimes, when readng a book, I actually picture in my mind a certain actor or actress playing the character. Of course, it is never the star who actually is cast in a subsequent film.

The first time I noticed myself doing this, was Alan Ladd, who seemed to perfectly fit the character in Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading", and for some reason, that stands out vividly in my mind to this day.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Helter Skelter

Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
I loved Gene Wilders portrayal of Willie Wonka

Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
"Unbearable Lightness of Being" was a better movie than book, mainly I think because it dealt with only about half the book, concerning only the lives of the Lewis-Binoche characters, which by itself was a much more compelling story than the world travels of the Olin character, who was reduced to only a minor role in the very good screenplay.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I thought they did a good job with The Help. Good casting and kept the story good even though some stuff was limited or made less significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books