Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2024, 10:34 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

I recently bought Betty MacDonald's "The Plague and I" so I would have all four of her books. I found a first edition on eBay and decided it would be fun to have that, especially as I'm buying hardback books now because I'm so tired of wearing out and replacing my paperbacks.

I had a surprise when I started to read it. I'm pretty familiar with the book and in the first part, I felt for a little bit like I was reading a different book. There were additional paragraphs added and definitely more names and explanations in the book.

I've run into this before. I own a copy of "Sunnybank" by Albert Payson Terhune and when my books were in storage, I ordered a copy from the library to read. I noticed then that there were differences between the two books. I still remember a passage from a chapter in another version of the book I read long ago that isn't printed in either the library copy or my copy.

I also remember when "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder had a change made in it in subsequent editions, but there was a reason for the change and the author approved it.

So my question then is, is this something that happens often? Are books actually changed and re-edited when additional printings come out? Is it a common thing or did I just happen upon the few books that were changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 06:09 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So my question then is, is this something that happens often? Are books actually changed and re-edited when additional printings come out? Is it a common thing or did I just happen upon the few books that were changed?
I'm not sure about common, but it does happen.

One of the more valuable editions you might look for if you're a collector is a first edition of THE HOBBIT. One of the chapters was later completely re-written by the author because one of the characters in question had radically changed in THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

I don't mind authors making changes to their own works. That is their prerogative. What I greatly object when publishers do it based on current cultural moods. If a book is offensive, let it offend. Great art often does.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:59 PM

Thanks. I'm not a collector and I probably wouldn't bother buying a first edition book if it's something really valuable. I read my books over and over and they get worn out.

I appreciate the advice on The Hobbit, but do you know, that is the one book I really don't like and I don't even have it in paperback.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:09 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I recently bought Betty MacDonald's "The Plague and I" so I would have all four of her books. I found a first edition on eBay and decided it would be fun to have that, especially as I'm buying hardback books now because I'm so tired of wearing out and replacing my paperbacks.

I had a surprise when I started to read it. I'm pretty familiar with the book and in the first part, I felt for a little bit like I was reading a different book. There were additional paragraphs added and definitely more names and explanations in the book.

I've run into this before. I own a copy of "Sunnybank" by Albert Payson Terhune and when my books were in storage, I ordered a copy from the library to read. I noticed then that there were differences between the two books. I still remember a passage from a chapter in another version of the book I read long ago that isn't printed in either the library copy or my copy.

I also remember when "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder had a change made in it in subsequent editions, but there was a reason for the change and the author approved it.

I wonder about that myself. I'll often read a novel and come across something that isn't true and it's usually something easy to verify, something like the wrong engine in a car involved in the story or an incorrect detail about the location of the story.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:14 PM

Sometimes people don't even think of checking stuff they're writing in their books. When "The Help" was written, there was a part in there about Shake 'n' Bake. But as somebody pointed out, Shake 'n' Bake wasn't invented at the time portrayed in the book. Just one of the things that gets overlooked. Although I have to admit, I wouldn't know when Shake 'n' Bake was invented myself and it would never have occurred to me to check it out.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:31 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm not sure about common, but it does happen.

One of the more valuable editions you might look for if you're a collector is a first edition of THE HOBBIT. One of the chapters was later completely re-written by the author because one of the characters in question had radically changed in THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

I don't mind authors making changes to their own works. That is their prerogative. What I greatly object when publishers do it based on current cultural moods. If a book is offensive, let it offend. Great art often does.
Some authors change or permit edits done on their work, others don't. They may or may not advertise that fact in later editions. Tolkien often included a preface or notation regarding "authorized" printings, encouraging readers to only buy those.

I went through a phase a few years ago when I decided to find and re-gather favorite memorable childhood reads I'd lost track of over the years away from home. I searched for the hardback editions I would have read back in the day. Many of those were first or very early editions. My mother cherished books and brought home beautiful hardbacks for her kids once we were old enough not to destroy them. She even attended a book signing for a very popular kid's book at the time to have my copy autographed by the author and illustrator. I still have it. Anyway, the project was fun, and I learned a lot. Re-reading some of them after so long gave my memory quite a few unexpected jogs. It was also interesting to see the change in the value of some of them even though value wasn't the point.

I bought my hardback copy of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings at a junior high school library book sale for just a few dollars. I read and re-read them for decades and to help protect the hardcopies from wear and tear I also bought the first US paperbacks. It didn't occur to me to pay any attention to the editions until many years later when I wanted to fill out the set with a comparable hardcopy printing of The Hobbit. My hard copies turned out to be 1934-era UK printing first editions. Their current value was a shock! Even the battered paperbacks are now collectible!

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-06-2024 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2024, 06:24 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
I've self-published a couple books and while doing research I recall something about having to use a different ISBN barcode for any changes or updates made to an already-published book. I think if the word count or page count changes, then it's considered a 'new edition' and gets a new ISBN. (International Standard Book Number)

Old 02-07-2024, 08:35 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some authors change or permit edits done on their work, others don't. They may or may not advertise that fact in later editions. Tolkien often included a preface or notation regarding "authorized" printings, encouraging readers to only buy those.
That was because the first paperback editions in the USA were published by ACE Books, who didn't have the rights to do so. ACE later made good, but their editions were defintely what we would now call "pirated" editions.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:23 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Always surprised when anyone besides me has heard of Albert Payson Terhune.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books