Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,173,042 times

Advertisements

I was at a party yesterday and they had "The Avengers" on. Having not read those comics since the 70's, I was wondering if the SHIELD brunette was "Val".....which, of course, it was not, but Maria Hill.

Old fuds, I guess, and their comics, the new generation and their movies. Plus, I suppose, some characters age better than others. Sharon Carter, for instance, is still popular.

But, is there another reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 03:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,892,555 times
Because a lot of the current Avengers characters are based on their Ultimates versions or at least regular (616) characters from the 2000s forward. Marvel is trying to shed bulky continuity - can't say I blame them, as trying to keep 60 years of story lines (and some admittedly really bad ones, like the 90s "Heroes Reborn" reboot) straight has to be tough.

Since the majority of the movie audience only has a passing familiarity with the characters they could go with entirely new characters and MOST movie goers wouldn't notice. On a good month, Avengers sells 100,000 copies a month. The first movie brought in $200,000,000 the first weekend. Divide that by $10 a ticket and that is 20,000,000 in a weekend. Keeping the comics crowd happy is not a big issue.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-09-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 AM

22,987 posts, read 28,442,958 times
Yup. The Marvel movie universe has its feet planted more in the Ultimate Universe, which was an attempt by Marvel Comics to "update" their existing characters for a new generation. Too much time has gone by for the classic tales to make much sense any more. Reed Richards fought in WW II? Magneto was a child in the Nazi death camps? Iron Man was born in the Vietnam War? All great stories, but do the math. That puts Reed Richards at about 90 years old. Magneto only slightly younger. And Tony Stark has to be around 60. So Marvel "updated" everyone in the Ultimate Universe.

With varying results. Ultimate Spider-Man was fantastic. Still one of my favorite comics.

Ultimate X-Men was hit and miss. Often great. Sometimes truly horrible. It suffered from a lack of consistent writers. It seemed like they changed writers every 6 issues, with varying results.

Ultimate Fantastic Four I didn't like at all. It was actually pretty horrible. Which goes a long way to explaining with the movies can't get it right.

And the Ultimates (the Avengers) was also pretty bad. It was like a Michael Bay version of the Marvel universe. Whereas the other Ultimate comics seemed to say, "Let's update these characters for the 21st century." The Ultimates seemed to say, "You know what would be cool? Let's make every single member of the Avengers a total a-hole. Then let's have the plot make no sense whatsoever."

I think the Marvel Universe itself recently "rebooted." But I haven't been keeping up. I have no idea what's going on these days. But I'm old enough to know that I'll probably hate it.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Well, okay, but...........................didn't SHIELD Commander Fury fight in WWII?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, okay, but...........................didn't SHIELD Commander Fury fight in WWII?
In the original universe ... yeah. Which would make him in the neighborhood of 90 years old today. In the original universe, the character of Nick Fury was what might have happened had Clint Eastwood been cast as James Bond.

In the Ultimate universe ... yes again. But it was weird. I'm still not sure I even totally understand it. Ultimate Fury is Sam Jackson, which is cool, but how they got him into WWII was just strange.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And the Ultimates (the Avengers) was also pretty bad. It was like a Michael Bay version of the Marvel universe. Whereas the other Ultimate comics seemed to say, "Let's update these characters for the 21st century." The Ultimates seemed to say, "You know what would be cool? Let's make every single member of the Avengers a total a-hole. Then let's have the plot make no sense whatsoever."
Mmmmmmmm, this universe, that universe. It sounds like Sliders gone amuck ......... or a reversal of that show when they went B movie. But, C'est la vie! If they want to go that way, it's okay, I won't be shedding any tears, paying any cash to see. I'll just dream in my memories of 70's comics.

About them making the members into a-hole, it seems to be style these days in many a rehash. It's the reason I only got about 10 minutes into the current Mission: Impossible franchise. Before, on TV, they were good friends. I came across one of the movies and they were all trying to cut each other down. Turned off the movie and never went back.

As far as Commander Fury, yes, that little point of how the current version could have been in WWII, but for me, it's not that important. I never read much of Sgt. Fury in the 70's and about the only issue I recall is something about leaping through a window into the night sky with the snow capped village far below.....good thing he was wearing a parachute.

So what ever happened to the red headed fella with the mustache and interesting taste in hats?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So what ever happened to the red headed fella with the mustache and interesting taste in hats?
Dum Dum Dugan is the first Captain America movie and an episode or two of Agent Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books