Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM

133 posts, read 534,387 times

Advertisements

Roald Dahl remains my favorite children's author to this date, so I'd definitely check some of his books out (The Witches and The B.F.G. are must reads). I also really like the Golden Compass books at that age; I think I started reading the Narnia books when I was around 10, too. My brother really liked the Artemis Fowl books and the Charlie Bone series.

Last edited by part_iv; 10-30-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,758 times
Of course Harry Potter is the best... (Roald Dahl is awesome, too!)
But, the other books already mentioned here are great, as well.
The Narnia Series, Eragon and the Artemis Fowl books are super!

Add: Redwall (and the books that follow) by Brain Jacques
also: The books by Anthony Horowitz about teen Alex Rider.
The First one is called Stormbreaker, and there are several to follow.
The books are adventurous and will really keep him turning the pages.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,239 times
My 11 year old loves to read and particularly loves fantasy and adventure stories. Here are some authors/titles that have caught his fancy:

Nancy Farmer: Sea of Trolls and The House of the Scorpion
John Flanagan: Ranger's Apprentice series
Kenneth Opel: Silverwing, Sunwing and Firewing
Angie Sage: Septimus Heap, Magyk, Septimus Heap, Flyte and Septimus Heap, Physik
Rick Riordan: Percy Jackson series, The Sea of Monsters and Titan's Curse
Edith Pattou: Hero's Song and Fire Arrow

About two years ago he was really into Emily Rodda's Deltora Quest and Rowan of Rin series and still comes back to those books when he's stuck for something to read.

Hope this helps

Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
some other fantasy books/series your son can check out (NOTE: I have no clue what a 10 year old can/should read, so I don't know if some of the suggestions may be too juvenile or too adult for him, but they are overall great books IMO)

-The Bartimaeus trilogy: about a a djinn (genie) and a young wizard set in an alternate London (kind of like HP). the book is hilarious in sections where the djinn, Bartimaeus is narrating (lots of interesting little side notes and footnotes)

-Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett: I think there are about 3 dozen or so of these books, but despite taking place in the same world (discworld) you mostly do not need to read all or them or in any particular order (two some books follow certain characters more closely than others, so it helps to read similar books together)

-A Wizard of Earthsea: another story about a young boy who is chosen to go to a prestigious school of wizardry, but that's basically where the similarities to HP ends. there are several books in this series

-Dragonrider series by Ann McCaffrey. great series, especially if he liked Eragon (but w/o all the 20 letter words Paoloni(sp) is prone to use)

-Inkheart by Cornelia Funke: I personally haven't read these yet, but I heard it's a fantastic book (it's on my xmas list)

-His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novak: it's a historical fantasy novel based during the Napaleonic wars (blah, I don't even know if most 10yo know who Napolean was, though this book is a fun way to learn). all the warring countries use dragons to fight. similar to dragonriders but w/o the telepathy (these dragons talk)

-Artemis Fowl series: I love this series! the elves in this series are very hi-tech and advance and kick serious butt (they really need to make a movie soon based on these books. It would be like Spy Kids meet HP)

-A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett: depressing yet hilarious!

-RL Stine Goosebumps/Fear St. books: I thought I saw someone above mention these. I LOVED these growing up as a kid (he's like Stephen King for kids)

-Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan: interesting book about a kid getting sucked into the faerie world.

-ok, I can't quite remember the name for this book or its author (I'll try to update later) but it's a book about a kid w/ ADHD who discovers he and his friends are the children of mythological gods. I read a quick review on another website and it looked really interesting and has gotten pretty good reviews.

ETA: ah, the book is called The Lightning Thief

phew, that's all I can think of for now (forgive the typos, it's early/late here!).

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
Default charmed

I'm going crazy. I grew up with the harry potter series and now that it's over, i just dont know what to do. I'm seventeen years old and can get bored very easily. Harry Potter was the first book i ever decided to stick with. What can you suggest for me. I want something with magic and depth that i can, in some way, relate to. The only book i have to look forward to is the third book to the inheritance(eragon).PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
lazaro, Two series you might consider are Pullman's trilogy, Dark Materials, and Piers Anthony has a large series on magic which focuses on the mystic. I'll track down the series title if I can.

I enjoyed both, but in different ways. Pullman's trilogy is well written by a literate professor; Anthony's is well written by a science fiction writer of some note.

I think both might appeal to you.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro View Post
I'm going crazy. I grew up with the harry potter series and now that it's over, i just dont know what to do. I'm seventeen years old and can get bored very easily. Harry Potter was the first book i ever decided to stick with. What can you suggest for me. I want something with magic and depth that i can, in some way, relate to. The only book i have to look forward to is the third book to the inheritance(eragon).PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Why don't you jump on to some of the Harry Potter FanFic sites and see what other fans are writing? Or write some fanfic yourself? There are some very good stories out there about the HP world. Many of them rival Rowling in how good they are.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:14 AM

321 posts, read 853,550 times
I have a 12-year-old who can't stop reading Erin Hunter's Warrior novels, either, and we learned that this author's name is Cherith Baldry and she has even more books for kids which she has written under this name. Perhaps you can check those out also.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:44 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I love books like Harry Potter and have also tried other books and authors. The Chronicles of Narnia didn't excite me at all and it was rather dull to read it. However the Inkheart series seems to be pretty good. I read the first volume and will definitely buy the other two volumes too.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
This book just won the Caldecott Award and looks wonderful for 9-12 year olds, or perhaps even older:

Amazon.com: The Invention of Hugo Cabret: Books: Brian Selznick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books