Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times

Advertisements

Just finished Eleven On Top (Janet Evanovich). The latest non-fiction was Marley and Me, John Grogan. That was the best non-fiction I've ever read! If you're into dogs, or pets of any kind and haven't read it, do! You'll laugh and cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 02:04 AM

23 posts, read 92,668 times
I have read many on the lists above. Currently I am reading "Dirty White Boys" *cant recall the author* "THe Book Of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives" The NYTimes, and National Geographic magazines

Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
"Dirty White Boys" is an great read...Stephen something-or-other. I've read all his books.
And many of the aforementioned, Steven King and Dean Koontz are just so much fun to read! I recently finished Koontz's "The Husband."

Right now I'm reading "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. Awesome.
Recently I read....Memoirs of a Geisha, which I didn't expect to like, but really did.
Augusten Burrough's "Magical Thinking." Hilarious.
Robin Cook's latest paperback. I can't believe I finished that piece of crap.

I get the Sunday NYT and always read the book review section. Biiiig mistake, I almost always find something I must read, usually hardcover. I often look for books on eBay or half.com for better prices.

So many books, so little time....

Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Talking I LOVE books!

Though very little fiction! I mostly read nature books. And books to learn stuff about places (so guess why I like this site ) , nutrition, etc.
My absolute FAVORITE fiction is The Hitchhiker's "Trilogy" (I believe it was 5 books!) Those were THE BEST!!!!!!!! I also LOOOOOVE Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord of the Rings was good but a little too descriptive. And alot of Phillip **** books * were cool! And of course Kirt Vonnegut!
But I wish I could remember the names of some of my fave non fictions...
Something about "How I bought my land & a tractor dirt cheap" was great!!!
And something about "Animals we love to hate" These aren't the right titles & my books are all over the place so I can't go look... I really need another bookcase!
Oh another GREAT one was about the prairie - I know that's no help - there are many... Oh- another was a book about a couple who moved to Anguilla to open a restaurant...Names,names! I need names!!!

* Hey! They censored his name! D i c k -come on! That's his name!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
afvet: I totally agree about some of SK's books. The Cell was great but it wasn't what you'd expect...I wanted to know more!!! Maybe he'll write another, who knows. The scariest book I ever read by him was Salem's Lot. I could never make it through the movie when I was little, a couple of scenes terrified me (which is odd because I have loved vampires most of my life...weird fascination, vampires and pirates). Anyway, finally 2 years ago I said "if I can read the book then I will make it through the movie". Well, it took me a week to read (which is very long for me) and I would only read it during the day or if my husband was home and awake right next to me at night. It scared the living daylights out of me...I finally finished it, couldn't sleep, had the shakes (don't know why) and STILL cannot watch the movie. I think it's because I saw it so young and it scared me then. Weird. But I've read just about everything else by him and I actually enjoy getting scared or creeped out by my man SK. The Stand is indescribable it's so great, definitely worth it. Dean Koontz is fun to read too, read quite a few of his.

I also like to go to Barnes & Noble and look at their classic list, they have some reall good classics.

Another tear jerker is Nicholas Sparks (??), The Notebook and I think the other one is Bend in the Road (or Around the Bend, something like that). I read it some time ago, but it was good.

Don't ask me about Danielle Steel though, can't stand romance novels. Read some Nora Roberts (didn't know they were sort or romance)...she was alright but still..... give me fact, fantasy, geographical, nature, classic, deranged, suspense, blood, guts (okay, maybe not guts per se) and scary and I'm good to go!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I just finished Stephen King's Dark Tower series. All I can say is, WOW!

If you like science fiction/fantasy I also recommend Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever. If you make it past the first chapter you will be hooked.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:39 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,749 times
I pronounce elfyum to have the best taste on this forum solely for mentioning Kurt Vonnegut.

Everything the man wrote between Mother Night (1955) and Slapstick (1977) is absolutely amazing and unmatchable fiction. Imaginative, hilarious, but still moving. My personal favorite has got to be The Sirens of Titan (1959).

Other books I have enjoyed recently?

Fiction:
Dubliners by James Joyce
Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Nonfiction:
The Washington Post Dining Guide by Tom Sietsema (old edition, waiting for the new one)
Without You: The Tragic Story of Badfinger by Dan Matovina
Everything: A book about Manic Street Preacher by Simon Price

For those of you who are familiar with Badfinger and the Manic Street Preachers, yes I do have a tendency to enjoy books about obscure Welsh rock bands whose sensitive, limelight-fearing band members committed suicide after the band fell short of the expectations that were thrust upon them. Both of those bands are unbelievable by the way.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
A book I COULD NOT put down....... THE CAMEL CLUB. Its absolutely fabulous. And for a book that will open your eyes forever.... read THE KITE RUNNER. It's one of the most moving and beautiful stories I have ever read.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:06 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
[quote=Isabella;76285]Ann Rice's Vampire books are the best! Yes but now she loves Jesus and may not be so scary - although i love Jesus and my wife says I am pretty scary at time .Angels in Demons is one of them. Yes you have to read this one. So much better than the Divinci Code, and it will make a much better movie too!!!.

.QUOTE]

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons
I pronounce elfyum to have the best taste on this forum solely for mentioning Kurt Vonnegut
Aw shucks... I spelled his name wrong though...! I LOVED LOVED LOVED Cat's Cradle!!! Must read it again because I don't even remember it by now... Which is cool! I somewhat recently read The Hitchhiker's Trilogy again & it had been so long that there were alot of things that felt like I was reading for the first time. And even the stuff that rang a bell was still funy as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons
Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
I can't believe you mentioned that one either! Never did read the book. Saw the movie though. Ack! Good but disturbing! (Again, this was so long ago that I don't remember much)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books