Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 PM

66 posts, read 275,003 times

Advertisements

For those who live in the Treasure Valley (specifically Ada, Canyon, Payette, Malheur Counties), what do you see as the most significant crime/public safety issues in your town or city? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,931,057 times
I live downtown boise, and there are no concerns I see really at all. I've left my car unlocked a couple times downtown on accident, nothing happened. I don't feel uncomfortable walking home at 3am..
The only real issue I would ever think is probably burglary, and that would be the biggest concern everywhere in boise really just because of meth heads on the prowl for quick cash.. The rate at which it actually happens though to be of concern is very minimal compared to anywhere else in the country of a city this size...
Boise is a unique place that's for sure

Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM

85 posts, read 295,321 times
How do the police forces compare in Boise, Meridian, and Eagle?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:43 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,556,237 times
Um...I think vandalism is the most serious crime I'm actually worried about. I did have my car stolen once, but I got it back after the theives abandoned it, and it was in an apartment complex parking lot, and I had stupidly left a bag (aka "bait") in the front seat. My idiot fault.

But yeah, there just isn't all that much crime, other than property crime in Ada county. Ok, I take it back, if you are a woman alone, walking on the Greenbelt after dark isn't a great idea. As for Canyon, there is more, but I can't say what kinds specifically, I just hear about more crime in some areas of Nampa and Caldwell. And is Payette county even part of the TV? There is no Malheur county in Idaho, so I'm guessing that is a county in Oregon...

Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 PM

314 posts, read 1,221,767 times
I think the Ada County cops are incompetent. They seem to do nothing but set up speed traps and when there is an actual call--they send 10 cars to answer every call. That doesn't seem like a very efficient use of resources.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:13 PM

66 posts, read 275,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball6 View Post
How do the police forces compare in Boise, Meridian, and Eagle?
Eagle is policed, under contract, by the Ada County Sheriff's Office. The cars and uniform patches say "Eagle Police", but the officers are Ada County deputies. Same with Kuna and Star.

Boise PD, Meridian PD, Garden City PD and Ada County SO are all quite comparable in their training and practices. Much of the logistics (jail, dispatch, records) are shared between the three, leading to a close similarity. The administrations work together to keep policies on par with each other. Boise PD and Ada CSO share a mutual bomb squad. Ada CSO, Meridian PD, and Garden City PD all participate in a single Metro SWAT team. Such agreements are great for cooperation between agencies and better management of the taxpayers money to prevent duplication of services.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,525,203 times
Guessing from what I have been pulled over for, the biggest crime issues in Boise seem to be expired car tags, cracked windshields and not having a front license plate. When Boise PD busted a couple of kids for spray painting it was literally front page news.

The good thing about Boise is that it is very safe and there seems to be very little crime. The downside is because of that the cops will pull you over for very minor traffic infractions because they have little else to do.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 AM

438 posts, read 1,801,018 times
[quote=grmi66;11748317]Guessing from what I have been pulled over for, the biggest crime issues in Boise seem to be expired car tags, cracked windshields and not having a front license plate.QUOTE]

How cracked does a windshield have to be to be in violation? I've had a nasty crack in mines for years, but it doesn't block the driver's view. :~) D

Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,114,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
I think the Ada County cops are incompetent. They seem to do nothing but set up speed traps and when there is an actual call--they send 10 cars to answer every call. That doesn't seem like a very efficient use of resources.

Lemme guess: you've been here less than, oh, say, two years, and you're pisssed cuz you got a speeding ticket a few months back. Cuz that's sure what it sounds like. it sure as hell doesn't sound like an informed view. Boise has one of the finest police forces in the nation. Those of us who have lived here for several years or more will remember how they snuffed-out the fledgling infiltration of L.A. gangs. Boise cops are quick to respond, are highly-trained and competent, but yet are for the most part the most courteous cops I've ever seen; and I've lived all over the country, and come from a law enforcement-laden family.
As far as efficient use of resources, Boise cops go where they're needed quickly and in numbers when possible so as to maximize safety. Speeding can kill or injure people and it has gotten worse each year since the California influx began en masse about 10 years ago, thus the speed traps are needed for our safety and also so as to bring income into the city government so they can continue to fund our sterling police force.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM

993 posts, read 3,261,914 times
Drummerboy and I rarely see eye to eye on anything but this time he nailed it.
I owe you beer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area