Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterCadre View Post
Idaho boasts one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.... but the average rate of pay in Idaho IS the minimum wage. Idaho is behind the times when compared to just about every other state in the country. But Idaho is happy right where it is. God forbid if something were to grow in this state besides potatoes.
Average rate of pay in the state of Idaho is not the minium wage. Check out this website.
http://lmi.idaho.gov/Portals/13/PDFS...y%20Report.pdf

Scroll down to page 15. The statistics were based on 750 different types of occupations in Idaho. The dollar totals do not include bonus', overtime pay, weekend pay, incentives, etc. They way I interpret this is the average pay is $16.73 an hour. Due to the fact that it doesn't cover the extra above I would guess to say it might be higher than the $16.73 if all the above were factored in.

Here's another interesting fact posted on the Idaho Commerce and Labor website:

Idaho ranked first nationally in the percentage growth of new companies. (Corporation for Enterprise Development, 2006)

New companies equals jobs.

Here's another fact:

Boise Metro: Best for business and careers in 2005 and fourth best in 2006. Boise has claimed a spot in the top 10 for seven of the last eight years. (Forbes Magazine)

ok one more:

Idaho had the 8th strongest year to year job growth rate in the nation in the third quarter.

Go to this newsletter for more facts on what's going on in the job market for the state of Idaho. It's a monthly newsletter so it's always current.
http://cl.idaho.gov/lmi/pubs/idempnews/iecur.pdf

I think those of you looking to relocate here will find it very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Torrie,

The low unemployment rate is well documented and well known. But look at page 6 of the Idaho Employment report for which you furnished the link. The VAST majority of job growth is in the service providing industries – 16564 new jobs against the state total of 13,820, with the largest specific category being retail. Goods producing industries, where wages have historically been higher, lost 2744 jobs. We all know (but someone will challenge it, no doubt) where wages are for most of those retail jobs.

We have a very wide assortment of viewpoints in this thread with some attempting to paint an unrealistically gloomy picture and some attempting to paint an unrealistically rosy one. Clearly, the average wage in Idaho is not minimum wage. But it is also clear that new, good paying jobs outside of the bottom of the barrel service industries are relatively sparse and can take a long, patient search to find. So the truth lies between the two extremes. People should understand that truth before making such a major decision as relocating to a new city. Unless you are fortunate enough to be able to move to Boise with a job transfer, you will most likely be wearing a name badge and serving the public if you expect to go to work right away.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,189 times
[MOD CUT: OFF TOPIC]

However, the job market is plain tough for those without overwhelming and significant experience and/or credentials, especially if you don't know anyone. As said many times, networking is key.

There are some sectors in which it's pretty easy to find a job. I see a lot of RN, IT, Network/CS type jobs, and there's a decent market here for sales, banking, and real estate. And these jobs tend to pay decently, at least well enough to have a nice life in Boise.

There really isn't much here for the rest of us, and you have to be extremely lucky to find a job you a) like, b) suited to your skill-set, and c) that pays somewhat decently. Most service sector jobs range from 9/hr to 12/hr. That's not a living wage. You make better money serving and/or bartending, but is that really a career? Manufacturing, truck-driving, and construction each pay better, but not much, especially compared to other places in the country.

[MOD CUT: OFF TOPIC] - ask any of the staffing/headhunter offices in Boise just how tight the market is, and how screwy that low unemployment figure really is. I'm sure you'll hear quite a different story.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-18-2007 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post

However, the job market is plain tough for those without overwhelming and significant experience and/or credentials, especially if you don't know anyone. As said many times, networking is key.

There are some sectors in which it's pretty easy to find a job. I see a lot of RN, IT, Network/CS type jobs, and there's a decent market here for sales, banking, and real estate. And these jobs tend to pay decently, at least well enough to have a nice life in Boise.

There really isn't much here for the rest of us, and you have to be extremely lucky to find a job you a) like, b) suited to your skill-set, and c) that pays somewhat decently. Most service sector jobs range from 9/hr to 12/hr. That's not a living wage. You make better money serving and/or bartending, but is that really a career? Manufacturing, truck-driving, and construction each pay better, but not much, especially compared to other places in the country.

- ask any of the staffing/headhunter offices in Boise just how tight the market is, and how screwy that low unemployment figure really is. I'm sure you'll hear quite a different story.
Yes, Torrie has a stake in people moving there, but she is also a very kind and caring person. When I visited week before last, she took several hours of her time to personally give me a grand tour of the area and welcome me to Boise. She did that despite the fact that I had told her up front that I would be in no position to buy a home anywhere in the forseeable future.

I think she is here trying to help as much as she may see business opportunity. I very much appreciated her welcome.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-18-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, Torrie has a stake in people moving there, but she is also a very kind and caring person. When I visited week before last, she took several hours of her time to personally give me a grand tour of the area and welcome me to Boise. She did that despite the fact that I had told her up front that I would be in no position to buy a home anywhere in the forseeable future.

I think she is here trying to help as much as she may see business opportunity. I very much appreciated her welcome.
That said, Anchorless, I think your appraisal of the Boise job market is reasoned and realistic.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM

364 posts, read 617,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I know, and I didn't mean to imply that you did. I just thought the time was appropriate to present my view, based on personal experience, that her motivation goes well beyond her business interest. I don't know how many real estate agents you could say that about - I doubt very many. But you can about Torrie.

I have to agree. Although I have only spoken with her via email, she has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful in helping my wife and I get to know the housing market. She also sends the best house links I have ever seen. More then one picture of the house, written description, days on the market...basically the whole deal. Enough to get a good idea. Every other real estate site I have went to is pathetic. Lucky to see one picture of the house and even then only after you furnish them all of your personal information? No thanks. We are going to stick with Torrie, and look forward to visiting up there soon.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:56 AM

CrownVic and Katera, I thank you for you're kind words. I do enjoy helping people and am glad to know that I've been able to serve your needs. I know it's hard when you want to move somewhere new and don't know where to start. So I hope I can continue to be of assistance and make your possible relocation efforts easier.

All I was trying to do is offer a place where people could go to find useful information and post what the statistics are showing- not my opinnion. However people want to decipher it is up to them. I have to wonder if it's so bad, then why do so many people move here? Why do people stay?

I try to stick to facts because that's what people are looking for and that has been my experience in working with people from this forum. Everyone has an opinion about something including myself, but when you are trying to make a decision as to whether you want to move to an area, most people want to see the facts because they do not know us and why should they believe someone they've never met?

So Anchorless, sorry the facts seem too rosy for you, you'll have to take that up with Idaho Commerce and Labor.

If I stood up here and talked about everything negative all the time what kind of agent would I be? Who wants to work with someone negative? Quite honestly I couldn't do what I do if I didn't believe in the area and what it has to offer and what it will continue to offer in the future. It's hard to talk bad about this place. Anyone whose ever worked in sales for a period of time understands that you have to believe in what you're selling otherwise you don't sell. What a miserable bunch we would all be if we focused on the negatives in life and the obstacles that stand in our way. Good things don't always come easy and I'm sure many people have made sacrifices to live here and enjoy a good quality of life.

My view point is that Boise has far more to offer in advantages than disadvantages. The valley is going to continue to grow and the job opportunities are quickly going to pop up. Several of us have given suggestions as to how to land some of those key jobs and some of us have taken our own experiences as examples and shared them with all of you in hopes that you might have the same success as we did. So I don't know what else to say....other than stay upbeat, continue to search and in due time you will hopefully have an opportunity that fits your needs.

Anchorless, your quote below puzzles me.

Quote:

There really isn't much here for the rest of us, and you have to be extremely lucky to find a job you a) like, b) suited to your skill-set, and c) that pays somewhat decently. Most service sector jobs range from 9/hr to 12/hr.
If you want the better paying jobs you have to put your time in and "earn" your way to higher pay. Why is an employer going to pay top dollars to someone who doesn't have the experience?

I can tell you from living in many areas throughout my life- the ratio of pay here to cost of living is ten times better than most of the country. Try living in Southern California where your pay ratio doesn't even come close to what you're cost of living is. You might be paid less here, but your cost of living is much more manageable and balances out better compared to other Northwestern states.

Your not always going to like what you do, that's why it's called a "job". You work towards a goal so you can eventually gain the experience you need to get where you want to be.

Quote:
Torrie can cite all that stats she wants - ask any of the staffing/headhunter offices in Boise just how tight the market is, and how screwy that low unemployment figure really is. I'm sure you'll hear quite a different story.
Not sure the staffers are going to be telling people that-otherwise they would be out of business. Your stating an opinion of what you "think" all the headhunters will say not that they've actually said that. By the way, it's so awful here that there are approx. 34 employment agencies in Boise-Metro, and yes it's a current phone book, 2008. Not that all the jobs come from these agencies, but it sure seemed like a lot to me.

One more idea to help people out- search for headhunters in larger cities in different states, in the specified line of work you may do. I've got to believe that they're tapped in to other cities and might know of jobs available in this area. It's just a hunch, but maybe worth a try.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:52 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,189 times

You can continue to believe it's easy to find gainful employment that allows one to live in the Boise area if you so choose. Based on everything I've observed, it's not, especially for newcomers and/or those under 30.

Are there jobs out there? Sure. Can someone find something to get by and to have a happy life in Boise? Sure. I don't disagree with any of the practical advice here - that it may take a while, that you need to tap your friends and contacts, that you may have to change your resume a bunch or take a job you don't feel you're qualified for to make it work. But for many people - especially those looking to relocate - don't have that luxury.

If people are looking to move to Boise come hell or high water, then they need to prepare for a arduous job search. But they'll get through it and it will all work out. But if they're looking at several different places and want to know what it might take to find a job out here, painting them a rosy and illusory view of getting a job is pretty irresponsible, and can downright ruinous. If they know the challenges they may face, and the accept it, more power to them. But if they come out here thinking it will be easy because everyone is telling them how great it is, think of how disastrous that is.

So let's think about how much 10/hr is. That's approximately 1100-1150 a month to live on. Tell me how people are able to live on that much money, especially if they have children? Rent is relatively cheap in Boise compared to other places, but not that cheap. And certainly not cheap enough to have any sort of life living on 10/hr with no benefits.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-18-2007 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
http://www.cityofboise.org/Departmen...Population.pdf

The median income for Boise currently is $53,539. Not too bad, of course a smaller percentage is lower incomes than this and there are much higher incomes as well. Not bad at all. I would guess, that since Boise is growing so fast that the good paying jobs are taken quickly. They do exist, they are out there, dangling in front of eveybody's nose like a sweet banana.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM

In regards to cost of living at $10 an hour, no you probably can't own a home on that or live on your own, but you can rent or get roommates. You live within your means. Unfortunately people make poor choices a lot of times and get themselves in a pickle.

Here's some stats to back up what I'm saying in regards to cost of living:

www.bvep.org/assets/docs/AffordableLivingBoiseValleyCostOfLiving.pdf (http://www.bvep.org/assets/docs/AffordableLivingBoiseValleyCostOfLiving.pdf - broken link)

Below is a comment pulled from the Boise Valley Economic Partnership:

Based on average housing costs, utilities, health care, transportation, groceries, and other services, Idaho’s cost of living is the second lowest of the eleven western states. Boise Valley's cost of living is 96 percent of the national average, and the median cost of a home in the valley is approximately $235,000. Based on average housing costs, utilities, health care, transportation, groceries, and other services, the Boise Valley's cost of living is well below the national average.

The diversity of price and product that the Boise Valley housing market offers also is highly attractive to businesses and site selectors considering the area for relocation.

Will this last forever- realistically probably not. Is there someplace cheaper? You bet! But, to be the second lowest of the eleven western states for cost of living- well that's pretty darn good in my book. Like I said, if it's so bad, people wouldn't be coming.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 11-18-2007 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area