Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,984 times

Advertisements

I dunno, I know that growing up in Arizona, I too was outside playing constantly everyday. from riding my bike, to building stupid contraptions, to thinking i could dig a tunnel to China!!! I think kids are still this way, but it seems to stop at a lot younger of an age. Everyone wants to grow up right away and it really does appear that people are maturing younger than before. Its no longer "cool" to do the simplistic things, but rather stay in and play games or w/e it is. Or they are going to dance practice, football practice, karate etc (nothing at all wrong with these activities) but people just go go go

Up here in Boise, i have noticed that no matter what time of day when I drive by a park, kids are there...when i drive through my neighborhood kids are playing. I'm not sure if its the lifestyle difference up here or what it is. I know its not JUST Boise, i'm sure some of the more homely cities in America are the same way. Maybe everyone in the larger metropolis's are caught up in the hustle and bustle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM

68 posts, read 170,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Maybe everyone in the larger metropolis's are caught up in the hustle and bustle?
Exactly! I agree 100%! So......this is one reason for looking for a new location.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM

124 posts, read 276,693 times
I grew up in Cottonwood, AZ and then later lived in Phoenix for several years. Personally, back then I really enjoyed living in Maricopa County - access to lakes, museums, diverse people, etc. However, things in the valley have changed a lot since then - I left in 1980. Since then I've lived in Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Washington and Oregon. (Can't sing, can't dance, but I KNOW how to pack!) I moved to Boise in 2010. So far I really like it here. Seems to have a decent balanced climate with no wild extremes. (Some snow and cold, but not freeze your boogers kind of cold. Some hot days in summer, but no frying an egg on the hood of your car.) I've enjoyed exploring the area and have been pleasantly impressed by the people I've met. That being said, having lived a lot of different places I am of the opinion that to a great extent any new place you land can be a positive experience if you set your mind to make it that way rather than focusing on all you've left behind. With one or two notable exceptions (sorry Pendleton, OR) I've liked every place I have lived. Are there a few things I wish were different? Of course. But rather than focus on what is not perfect, I choose to see all that is good here and there is plenty of it to find without the need of rose colored glasses.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,321 times
I was born in Boise-relocating to Scottsdale when 7 yrs old- so I completely understand what everyone is saying regarding the vast difference in the types of cars and 16 year old kids with brand new dr licence getting the lastest flashiest car so they can drive around in their 300 a pair jeans with daddy's gold card to pay for lunch and gas-there are plenty of high end sports cars in Boise- mostly in garages as we have SEASONS in ID! Needless to say for the 12+years I lived in AZ I was always excited to travel back to ID for vacation and as soon as I was out of high school- I made my way back to Idaho for a visit-once here I decided to stay it's been 18 years and I haven't regretted the move *not even for a second-

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
M&R

6 posts, read 8,226 times
My MIL loved there a couple years ago from Phx and LOVES it.
We're also contemplating a move from Glendale AZ there ourselves.
We have two cousins who live there with their families, and they can not say enough good things about Boise and the area.
Our plan is to move by the start of next summer, we're going to take some long weekends and check out the seasons, neighborhoods and town over the next year.
:-)

Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,216 times
We are doing everything we can to move back. We moved there in 2010, fell in love...wife could not land perfect employment, there was a crazy winter storm, worst in 40 years they said...anyway we moved back and WOW do I wish we had not. I really miss it there. Hopefully the 2nd time will be the charm.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:58 PM

35 posts, read 73,890 times
We almost moved there. We decided it was better for us to stay in Phoenix. We are closing on a house here in a few weeks. Cost of living for us was better here than there. Plus we have family here. We did enjoy Boise when we visited last November.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer67 View Post
We almost moved there. We decided it was better for us to stay in Phoenix. We are closing on a house here in a few weeks. Cost of living for us was better here than there. Plus we have family here. We did enjoy Boise when we visited last November.
If you dont mind, can you tell me how the COL is cheaper there...is it because you can maintain a higher income, and therefore its better. I found if the jobs paid the same (and many do it seems) that Boise is about 10 percent less day to day to live in. One higher expense is travel. It REALLY costs to fly out of that airport.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 AM

35 posts, read 73,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
If you dont mind, can you tell me how the COL is cheaper there...is it because you can maintain a higher income, and therefore its better. I found if the jobs paid the same (and many do it seems) that Boise is about 10 percent less day to day to live in. One higher expense is travel. It REALLY costs to fly out of that airport.
Yeah, my husband is in law enforcement and although the health benefits are much less in Boise, he would be taking a $25,000 a year pay cut. Salary couldn't compare with where he is now and where his career will take him here. He was also told that due to budget issues, hiring was pushed back til the end of the year. It was just too "iffy" to make the move. There were other factors as well due to FIL diagnosed with cancer.

We thought moving would be a nice change, a fresh start. But we after weighing the pros and cons..Phoenix is where we need to be.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer67 View Post
Yeah, my husband is in law enforcement and although the health benefits are much less in Boise, he would be taking a $25,000 a year pay cut. Salary couldn't compare with where he is now and where his career will take him here. He was also told that due to budget issues, hiring was pushed back til the end of the year. It was just too "iffy" to make the move. There were other factors as well due to FIL diagnosed with cancer.

We thought moving would be a nice change, a fresh start. But we after weighing the pros and cons..Phoenix is where we need to be.
In my house 25K would be a HUGE paycut. Hope FIL pull it out, cancer just took a friend of ours. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area