Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,584 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few threads pertaining to the real estate market but was wondering if anyone has any insight into the current condo market, specifically in Highland Park, Mountain Brook, Homewood. It appears that there are a ton for sale. Which for me, being a first time homebuyer, that might be a good thing. Say a condo is right around 200k. Would asking 30-40k off that be too low? I don't want to offend the seller but at the same time, when a place has been on the market for many months, I figure they would jump at an opportunity to sell. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM

56 posts, read 139,187 times
I think offering anywhere from 5-15% under list price is probably fair, given the current market. I would do a little research (or if you have a realtor, have them do it) to find look at similar homes that have sold in the past year or so. You will be able to find the list price and the final sales price, so you can establish how low you can reasonably expect to offer and still have a shot on the house. In some neighborhoods, the difference between the list and sales price will be larger (in real terms) than in other neighborhoods.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,308,478 times
Well, the condo market is soft, so there's probably some play. But 15% off asking price may be too big a bite. Your realtor will probably give you a much better idea.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

56 posts, read 139,187 times
I dont know about condos, but I just did an analysis of homes in the Edgewood area of Homewood. The average sales price for this area (using only 200-300K dollar homes) was 4.4% less than the list price. However, looking at individual cases, the range was from -.4% to 15.4%. Probably the most important factor here is how long the home has been on the market and how motivated the seller is.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM

350 posts, read 1,316,189 times
One can not make a blanket statement on how much to go below asking price, too meny factors, and your right, time on market is one of them. You need to do a market analysis on the condo your thinking of making an offer on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area