Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 12:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times

Advertisements

When a parakeet dies. Does the flock rearrange?

I am greatly missing Mustard (he was my oldest bird. He got old.) But I am his human.

Have the other birds rearranged hierarchy and friendships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 01:27 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I would have to imagine the answer to your question is, Yes they do. To quote the old saying, they will establish a new pecking order. It is always sad when you lose a companion like you did.

Old 06-29-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I would have to imagine the answer to your question is, Yes they do. To quote the old saying, they will establish a new pecking order. It is always sad when you lose a companion like you did.
Mustard was a cute little guy but he got weak one day and didn't make it through the day. He had a little bit of watery poop and he was old. He was a real pretty color

Old 07-01-2021, 08:37 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Mustard was a cute little guy but he got weak one day and didn't make it through the day. He had a little bit of watery poop and he was old. He was a real pretty color
My condolences to you on the loss of Mustard. May your memories of this little bird be a blessing to you.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
My condolences to you on the loss of Mustard. May your memories of this little bird be a blessing to you.
I've kind of gotten good at realizing when it's almost time for.them to "go." Mustard, I feel like I rescued him because he was the only bird in the cage at the store and I figured out quick he was an older (slower) bird. Who knows how long he was there.

I still talk to the other birds but have not entirely found my balance yet.

Having no room or.time to bury more birds.. I gently tossed him in the grass by the lake. Not in the water, because birds don't swim, but mid-way in the grass, maybe somewhat close.to a tree. It's his cute little body. I was kind of expecting him to make it but when I had to look for him (he got.out of the cage) I knew something was wrong. Then, when he was struggling to sit on the perch and almost fell off, I knew there was not much I could do.

He died two hours later. I'm giving I'm timeframe an exaggeration.

Where do you think they go when they die? I like all the birds and I have a flock but he is definitely one of my favorites and absolutely the friendliest. They get slower as they get older. When they get a little too slow, I worry..

Old 07-02-2021, 07:27 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Mustard was a very pretty bird. Again, sorry for your loss.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:43 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I've kind of gotten good at realizing when it's almost time for.them to "go." Mustard, I feel like I rescued him because he was the only bird in the cage at the store and I figured out quick he was an older (slower) bird. Who knows how long he was there.

I still talk to the other birds but have not entirely found my balance yet.

Having no room or.time to bury more birds.. I gently tossed him in the grass by the lake. Not in the water, because birds don't swim, but mid-way in the grass, maybe somewhat close.to a tree. It's his cute little body. I was kind of expecting him to make it but when I had to look for him (he got.out of the cage) I knew something was wrong. Then, when he was struggling to sit on the perch and almost fell off, I knew there was not much I could do.

He died two hours later. I'm giving I'm timeframe an exaggeration.

Where do you think they go when they die? I like all the birds and I have a flock but he is definitely one of my favorites and absolutely the friendliest. They get slower as they get older. When they get a little too slow, I worry..
I really can't say with any authority, but I see that you've found The Rainbow Bridge thread in the Pets forum. That poem always makes me go a bit teary-eyed and I've always found it to be comforting.

Judaism provides a great deal of latitude in imagining what an afterlife must be like. If we do go to a garden of delights, how can it be delightful if we don't see our animal companions there, waiting patiently for us? So, if you believe that you will see Mustard again (along with every other beloved animal companion you've ever had), then I will believe it, too.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I really can't say with any authority, but I see that you've found The Rainbow Bridge thread in the Pets forum. That poem always makes me go a bit teary-eyed and I've always found it to be comforting.

Judaism provides a great deal of latitude in imagining what an afterlife must be like. If we do go to a garden of delights, how can it be delightful if we don't see our animal companions there, waiting patiently for us? So, if you believe that you will see Mustard again (along with every other beloved animal companion you've ever had), then I will believe it, too.

The idea of a Rainbow Bridge is something I've learned since I was a kid. I have quite a few pets (even ones I wasn't that attached to) waiting for me there. It is not exclusive to Judaism.. which I didn't even know provided for an afterlife??

I consider myself a Baptist, and I do remember.. I mean, I would *think* that if you ask a Fundamentalist Baptist if animals go to heaven, they *may* (and I don't like this answer) tell you that because an animal cannot confess with their mouth "I confess Jesus is my personal Lord and Savior and died on the cross for my sins" and then go down into the water, to come up a new person in Christ.. that they don't go??

Mustard. I didn't want Mustard to suffer and I hope he didn't. But he was falling off the perch...

Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM

Here is Mustard's flock (he is the daddy of about 1/4 the birds in here.)

I know.. I need to give them new water! Doing that now.

https://youtu.be/_5I-hVCzVaU

Old 07-07-2021, 11:15 AM

https://youtu.be/_5I-hVCzVaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5I-hVCzVaU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds