Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,815 times

Advertisements

Was thinking this. The same way my little baby (or younger) parakeet is"molting," I once had one of the more aggressive boys peck Blue Baby a.k.a. Boom Book's lower beak off. It was hanging on partially for a day or so, then it just fell off. That's a seed-eating bird, not sure how he can eat anything else.

Not the upper beak; the one under it. It *seems* to have come back, and that bird eats a lot, I do hope because of growth and feathers changing and him coming into adulthood, from being a young baby bird.

So... Do the beaks "grow back?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
I don't think it will grow back, but I would take the bird to a Vet.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I don't think it will grow back, but I would take the bird to a Vet.
Correct, it is like loosing an adult tooth. It doesn't grow back. A vet may be able to provide a beak prosthetic but it won't be cheap and no guarantee the bird will adapt well.

I have raised birds from small as a finch to large as a macaw for almost 30 years and would occasionally get a bird with a damaged beak.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Correct, it is like loosing an adult tooth. It doesn't grow back. A vet may be able to provide a beak prosthetic but it won't be cheap and no guarantee the bird will adapt well.

I have raised birds from small as a finch to large as a macaw for almost 30 years and would occasionally get a bird with a damaged beak.

Just wanted to give you an update on the little guy. His feathers are molting and his bottom beak I don't think it is "back" but I think he likes eating seeds. Very proud of him.

Here he is.

He's turning into an adult bird.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:42 AM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Just wanted to give you an update on the little guy. His feathers are molting and his bottom beak I don't think it is "back" but I think he likes eating seeds. Very proud of him.

Here he is.

He's turning into an adult bird.

What a cutie! He still looks pretty young since he still has bars on the feathers right above his beak.

Perhaps his lower beak hasn't grown back completely but there must be something there enough for him to be able to crack the seeds he is eating.

But just FYI, pet birds will eat foods other than seeds if they're exposed to those foods. Our birds (including an almost 4 yr old female parakeet) really like fruits and veggies-we give them raw broccoli, carrot slivers and snap peas every day, and our parakeet will at least try anything we give her. She also likes berries, apples, oranges, pears, peaches, tomatoes, eggs, chicken and hamburger. If we're eating it she at least wants to try it!

It might be a little easier on a tender lower beak (or whatever is left of it after your bird lost it) on occasion for your bird to eat some softer foods. Try some broccoli flowerettes, he might think those are little green seeds.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
What a cutie! He still looks pretty young since he still has bars on the feathers right above his beak.

Perhaps his lower beak hasn't grown back completely but there must be something there enough for him to be able to crack the seeds he is eating.

But just FYI, pet birds will eat foods other than seeds if they're exposed to those foods. Our birds (including an almost 4 yr old female parakeet) really like fruits and veggies-we give them raw broccoli, carrot slivers and snap peas every day, and our parakeet will at least try anything we give her. She also likes berries, apples, oranges, pears, peaches, tomatoes, eggs, chicken and hamburger. If we're eating it she at least wants to try it!

It might be a little easier on a tender lower beak (or whatever is left of it after your bird lost it) on occasion for your bird to eat some softer foods. Try some broccoli flowerettes, he might think those are little green seeds.

The little guy has turned into one of my favorite birds! He sits in the food dish and LOVES seeds.

His beak appears to have grown back...

I need to take more recent pic of him but, let me throw one up for now!

New pic coming soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds