Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM

37 posts, read 83,536 times

Advertisements

one of our parakeets died. the other one is just so sad; won't eat, play with toys. chirps once in a while and it sounds like a question mark -- chirp [are you there?]

my husband wants to get another parakeet to put in the cage, but I think we should put the new bird in another cage and put the cages together and let them get used to each other.

the bird we have is almost five years old.

anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? what did you do?
thank you.
karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM

6,488 posts, read 10,372,452 times
I think getting another bird and putting it in another cage nearby for a while is a good suggestion. Let them get used to each other before putting them in the same cage.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,878,597 times
I was given a fairly-sickly budgie by a friend; when she died, my male budgie was heartbroken.

I felt so bad for him... I went out and got another budgie maybe an hour or two later, and put her in the cage with him immediately. He immediately became interested in her and all was well.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
You need to introduce them slowly and carefully. Soometimes, one will kill the other.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,241 times
First off, I'm sorry for the loss of your keet. I agree w/ the others to put the new bird and your bird side by side in their own cage so they can get to know eachother. In no time, you'll probably seeing them sitting on the side of the cage closest to the other cage to be close to eachother. When you see that, let them be together.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 AM

37 posts, read 83,536 times
thank you for your replies. I'm going tomorrow to get another parakeet. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM

859 posts, read 706,733 times
The most important thing is not to be 2 males together.
If you have male, u should buy female. And vice versa
When you buy a new one,make sure of this side.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM

484 posts, read 822,897 times
I thought 2 males together is okay, but not 2 females.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,231,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I thought 2 males together is okay, but not 2 females.
Two of any gender can be together, as long as they're compatable. Female budgies tend to be more aggressive and territorial and have to be watched more closely, since there is a much higher potential for them to not get along than two males.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 13,008 times
Default 2 parakeets died...

I have a very large cage... and have had 4 parakeets for 5 years now.....1 girl, and 3 boys (thought the 3rd boy was a girl.... but was so young, the beak had not yet turned)... 2 males attacked each other on 3 different occasions, so that one was always the one who had blood on his head, so I isolated him with antibiotic cream until he healed)... those 2 died one day after each other. After reading this post, I'm pretty sure what had happened was one of my cast iron skillets burned with quite a bit of smoke, because I forget I had started cooking something (phone call)... the last death was 5 days ago. I am being extremely attentive to the two now... playing opera every day (they really like that) and talking more to them. Oddly, these two were not the 'pair'... one male, paired with one of the males (the mean one), and the female paired with the poor male that seemed to always be the injured one. They are just recently starting to seem to get more friendly to each other....... Not nearly as much activity. Do I get 2 more birds???? (this time for sure, a male and female).... or do I just leave these two in the huge cage? (Cage is a 3' x 5' on a stand)... and thoughts would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds