Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:59 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,068 times

Advertisements

I would put Zee-Zee Gardens and Zeeland Place under the Garden District, and Capital Heights, Old Goodwood, Ogden Park, and Westdale Heights all under Mid-City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Are we limiting this to the city limits???

I'm say Denham Springs, Walker, and Watson are definitely up and coming. The new commercial development in Denham especially around Juban is very rapid and new developments are being constructed all the time. In fact I think that part of Livingston Parish is being overdeveloped but for people who like urbanity its "up and coming". Many city people who would never have considered living in Denham 20 years ago can see themselves living here now.

Zachary is also seeing lots of new developments like Americana and some of it is quite nice.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Are we limiting this to the city limits???

I'm say Denham Springs, Walker, and Watson are definitely up and coming. The new commercial development in Denham especially around Juban is very rapid and new developments are being constructed all the time. In fact I think that part of Livingston Parish is being overdeveloped but for people who like urbanity its "up and coming". Many city people who would never have considered living in Denham 20 years ago can see themselves living here now.

Zachary is also seeing lots of new developments like Americana and some of it is quite nice.
Those city people would probably be from a suburban part of EBR. No one who craves the amenities of downtown, mid-city, LSU, etc would be interested in moving to Denham.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,808 times
Default Thanks for taking the time!

[quote=LuckyOden;45248023]Since there seem to be a lot of people who ask about good neighborhoods in BR I decided to create a more comprehensive list. I intentionally left out areas that I know flooded heavily in 2016. Hopefully those areas can rebuild and come back strong. I don't really know enough about North BR to comment on those areas, but I do know there are some solid neighborhoods like Melrose (West). I will edit/update as needed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! I almost hate to bother you with a follow-up question but are there any rental home communities that you'd recommend (lower in cost than others)? I'm having a hard time finding a suitable furnished apt because my budget is low ($650).

Old 09-21-2019, 10:02 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
[quote=treybum2;56229156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyOden View Post
Since there seem to be a lot of people who ask about good neighborhoods in BR I decided to create a more comprehensive list. I intentionally left out areas that I know flooded heavily in 2016. Hopefully those areas can rebuild and come back strong. I don't really know enough about North BR to comment on those areas, but I do know there are some solid neighborhoods like Melrose (West). I will edit/update as needed.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! I almost hate to bother you with a follow-up question but are there any rental home communities that you'd recommend (lower in cost than others)? I'm having a hard time finding a suitable furnished apt because my budget is low ($650).
That's a really low budget for a furnished apartment, I wouldn't think you can find that in any good area.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:55 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times
St. George's incorporation is something that will be very promising for that area, in my opinion, in attracting businesses and middle class families, and more economic development. Likewise, Central is the other place in EBR that's really booming and has good public schools and is pretty safe. Central is being overdeveloped IMHO though.

The other parts of EBR with lots of new construction and neighborhood, your kids would still be sent to EBR public schools unless you invest in a private school education. Just about everyone I know who grew up in the city of BR went to a private school, usually Christian or Catholic, like Christian Life Academy for example. People in Central, Livingston Parish, and Ascension Parish tend to trust sending their kids to public schools.

Zachary is a good area but there's more and more crime there lately.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:00 PM

27 posts, read 55,714 times
The magnet and gifted programs in BR are very good. I’m very impressed with the new superintendent, which was an obvious concern moving forward.

As of today, BR home values are still high. Sherwood has come back somewhat, but driving through recently I’ve noticed a Significant demographic shift from 6-7 years ago. Lots of fixed up homes from the flood recovery of 2016.

Broadmoor, which did not flood, is doing well and attracting a lot of younger, fixer uppers. My prediction that this would be the next frontier seems to be coming to fruition. The Tara, Mid-City revitalization is spilling over.

Noticing some renovations taking place in Melrose. A little known, gem of a neighborhood across from Baton Rouge Community College. Still lots of renters and lower income residents, but huge lots and lots of character is attracting some of the more pioneering folks to take somewhat of a risk. That said, property values there have gone up due to its mid-city adjacent location. More spillover I predicted years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge