Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 PM

606 posts, read 698,741 times

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071214/ap_on_re_us/lsu_students_slain (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 09:53 PM

80 posts, read 129,134 times
This happened in Edward Gay?? Damn shame. I wish there was more information/facts regarding why those two students got shot instead of just reporting that they were shot; it seems to paint a picture that could potentially be worse than it really is. Who knows what circumstances took place that resulted in the loss of those two?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
This happened in Edward Gay?? Damn shame. I wish there was more information/facts regarding why those two students got shot instead of just reporting that they were shot; it seems to paint a picture that could potentially be worse than it really is. Who knows what circumstances took place that resulted in the loss of those two?
Other than those are unsafe apartments located across the street from very rough neighborhoods ? As to the "why" part, well, they need to find the killers first. For one thing, apartment residents were noticing strange men in the area the week before asking for gasoline.

Anyway, to those who think BR is LA South, the north part of LSU and points north of LSU have ALWAYS been questionable.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:26 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,827 times
O'Keefe and the police were speculating now that the victims were targeted. I don't know if that means they were killed because of something they did, or if they were just watched and picked out by a bunch of thugs. I guess we'll have to wait and see, assuming that they catch the killers.
I do agree, the area just north of the North Gates has been suspect for years.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
O'Keefe and the police were speculating now that the victims were targeted. I don't know if that means they were killed because of something they did, or if they were just watched and picked out by a bunch of thugs. I guess we'll have to wait and see, assuming that they catch the killers.
I do agree, the area just north of the North Gates has been suspect for years.
And the sad thing is, people who live at Edward Gay are probably being continually cased from those living in the rough neighborhoods across the street from the apartments.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM

155 posts, read 766,454 times
Crime happens everywhere. Let's not forget that 3 of the BR serial killer's victims lived within a mile of the gates south of LSU.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:19 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
Yes, crime happens everywhere, but if you can add security in an attempt to decrease the chances of something as heinous as this happening, why not try?

I'm not saying live in fear, that's just a cowardly notion; but a little extra security will help some.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Yes, crime happens everywhere, but if you can add security in an attempt to decrease the chances of something as heinous as this happening, why not try?

I'm not saying live in fear, that's just a cowardly notion; but a little extra security will help some.
And, don't live and/or visit areas where your odds of something happening are high.

Thing about those apartments is they're in a remote northern corner of campus and are across the street from the really bad parts of town. There used to be a bar we'd go to in college near there that was on the main drag. If you parked within a block of the main drag, you were OK. But if you parked more than a block away, you were asking for trouble.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
And, don't live and/or visit areas where your odds of something happening are high.

Thing about those apartments is they're in a remote northern corner of campus and are across the street from the really bad parts of town. There used to be a bar we'd go to in college near there that was on the main drag. If you parked within a block of the main drag, you were OK. But if you parked more than a block away, you were asking for trouble.
Not being from there I have to go by everything I've read... those apartments are on-campus, correct? If so, they've got to do more to protect those living on-campus. Definitely don't put yourself in a situation or area where bad things are bound to happen to you, but if you're living on the campus of a major University, surely you expect some higher level of protection than those living off-campus. Afterall you pay thousands, even hundreds of thousands, of dollars to live and be educated there. If you're a Ph.D candidate, you have more than paid your dues and you should be able to live in a safe environment.

Now let me go back to the fact that I've never been on the LSU campus and I'm not sure how it is setup or anything, but it seems to me that if this is school-sponsored, on-campus housing then the safety of the residents should be a top priority.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Not being from there I have to go by everything I've read... those apartments are on-campus, correct? If so, they've got to do more to protect those living on-campus. Definitely don't put yourself in a situation or area where bad things are bound to happen to you, but if you're living on the campus of a major University, surely you expect some higher level of protection than those living off-campus. Afterall you pay thousands, even hundreds of thousands, of dollars to live and be educated there. If you're a Ph.D candidate, you have more than paid your dues and you should be able to live in a safe environment.

Now let me go back to the fact that I've never been on the LSU campus and I'm not sure how it is setup or anything, but it seems to me that if this is school-sponsored, on-campus housing then the safety of the residents should be a top priority.
Yes, the apartments are on-campus. Agree to the statement about safety, but LSU is a big campus. And these apartments are in a far corner right next to some rough areas. And you have a flimsy iron gate separating the apartments from the slums.

Anyway, this (the north end of campus) is a known dangerous area - when I was in college two decades ago, it was like that. I agree there should be more security, but there are only so many places they can be 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge