Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Excite - Sports News

So Joe Girardi was not going to let CC pitch the 9th inning no matter what? This was a no-hitter dude! I understand that baseball is such a "business" nowadays that they worry so much about broken arms, etc. but I find this sad. Pitchers threw 150, sometimes 200 pitches a game just 30 or 40 years ago and there was no problem.

Does this mean almost all no-hitters in the future will be "by committee" (i.e. shared by multiple pitchers? If it were a perfect game CC was working on instead of just a "no-no", would Joe have done this?

Maybe it's good that CC didn't get the no-no, that would've been terrible if he were denied the chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Excite - Sports News

So Joe Girardi was not going to let CC pitch the 9th inning no matter what? This was a no-hitter dude! I understand that baseball is such a "business" nowadays that they worry so much about broken arms, etc. but I find this sad. Pitchers threw 150, sometimes 200 pitches a game just 30 or 40 years ago and there was no problem.

Does this mean almost all no-hitters in the future will be "by committee" (i.e. shared by multiple pitchers? If it were a perfect game CC was working on instead of just a "no-no", would Joe have done this?

Maybe it's good that CC didn't get the no-no, that would've been terrible if he were denied the chance.
I don't care what anyone says. If CC got that final out in the 8th, i'd bet my life he'd be in there for the 9th. Alot of times managers say differently especially after it's broken up but no way in hell would Girardi upset George and Co. by removing CC with a no no. Especially considering he was averaging about 15 pitches an inning.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I don't care what anyone says. If CC got that final out in the 8th, i'd bet my life he'd be in there for the 9th.
I absolutely agree with this.

All managers of the Yankees know they aren't just managing a team. They're managing various personalities, managing the media, and also managing ownership. That's why Torre lasted as long as he did, and it's why Girardi will probably have the job for as long as he wants it. These guys are great at all of the above. Of course, part of their job is telling a little fib every now and then. In this case, Girardi minimizes C.C. losing the no-no, because he wasn't going to get to finish it anyway. Takes whatever small amount of huffing and puffing people will do over this off of the player and puts it on the manager, where it belongs, at least in the New York media.

And even in April, 111 pitches is nothing for C.C. Sabathia.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Well, CC did say in another article he was going to fight it. Personally, deep inside I don't think he was getting pulled unless someone got a hit, but I do think the day is coming where someone on a no-hitter is pulled due to pitch counts. Some no-hitters (Andy Hawkins' wild 4-0 no-hit loss in 1990 comes to mind, though under rules changed since then it doesn't count as one anyway since with the opposing team being the home team they didn't have to bat in the ninth) involved a large amount of pitches that no game has seen in an individual pitcher for 2 decades, like 150 or more. I'm waiting for the day this happens and the debate ensues. It may even happen for a perfect game, but I doubt that because A) that is truly rare and historic far more than a "mere" no-hitter, and B) I can't imagine a perfect game having much more than 150 pitches, 27 full counts with no fouls is 189 pitches (including the 3rd strike or resulting hit ball) and obviously not all counts get that for.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
C.C. did say he would have fought it, but that's still part of the dance the players and managers do, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's mostly about managing the media. Manager takes what little heat there is, pitcher stays stong, and the team won anyway; so in a day or two it's not even talked about again.

C.C. Sabathia is a rock. He could do the exact same thing in his next start, or the one after that. Still, we live in an era now where there is a 24 hour a day seven days per week news cycle, and that includes sports. The players and personnel understand that they are going to be asked more questions than ever before, and they have to be ready to answer. Still, the game on the field hasn't changed that much. If he doesn't give up that hit, you can be sure C.C. isn't coming out of that game.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Well, CC did say in another article he was going to fight it. Personally, deep inside I don't think he was getting pulled unless someone got a hit, but I do think the day is coming where someone on a no-hitter is pulled due to pitch counts. Some no-hitters (Andy Hawkins' wild 4-0 no-hit loss in 1990 comes to mind, though under rules changed since then it doesn't count as one anyway since with the opposing team being the home team they didn't have to bat in the ninth) involved a large amount of pitches that no game has seen in an individual pitcher for 2 decades, like 150 or more. I'm waiting for the day this happens and the debate ensues. It may even happen for a perfect game, but I doubt that because A) that is truly rare and historic far more than a "mere" no-hitter, and B) I can't imagine a perfect game having much more than 150 pitches, 27 full counts with no fouls is 189 pitches (including the 3rd strike or resulting hit ball) and obviously not all counts get that for.
I remember watching this game. It was loaded with FOG and I remember errors galore because of it. I think Mel Hall was in on one of them.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
There have been seven no-hitters that were pitched by two to seven different pitchers.

Is it really worth risking your ace in order to get a no-hitter? Look at what happened last year after Buehrle's perfect game - five or six ineffective starts.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There have been seven no-hitters that were pitched by two to seven different pitchers.

Is it really worth risking your ace in order to get a no-hitter? Look at what happened last year after Buehrle's perfect game - five or six ineffective starts.
That happened by chance,it's not a rule and throwing 15-20 more pitches probably wouldn't have any long term adverse affects on CC's arm.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
apparently Mo Rivera was warming, so I believe Girardi would have pulled him.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Buehrle goes through streches like that all the time, it had nothing to do with his perfect game. He throws a lot of strikes, and frankly doesn't have A+ stuff. Balls get put in play with Buehrle, sometimes they are all grounders, other times he gets smacked around. He actually seems to do pretty well with high pitch counts and has been one of the most consistent innings eaters over the last decade. He is about the worst example you could pick about a pitcher wearing down after going 9 innings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball