Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 06:40 PM

127 posts, read 42,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I don't understand gambling when you are already ridiculously rich! What is the gain because if you are already rich then you don't need the money or "more" money.
It's all about the action, the 'rush.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 07:02 AM

150 posts, read 134,082 times
How do you not notice $500K leaving your bank account multiple times, let alone $4.5M going missing?
How did Ippei have access to his back account?
Why did the story change?

Complete bull****. If MLB let Ohtani slide, they are complicit in the cover-up and yet again MLB playing favorites with certain teams.

I hope teams pitch at his knees, ankles, and elbows all year.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:12 AM

150 posts, read 134,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Many times they (meaning foreigners) know phrases and certain conversational words but not a firm grasp of English. In other words, they understand but aren't well versed so it's easier to speak in their native language. Did Puig ever learn or speak English? Just thinking out loud about a player I never heard speak English.
BS. Ohtani knows English. Has been in the US 5+ years and has an IQ over 40-he knows English he is just ethnocentric, stubborn, lazy, and it appears now a liar.

Ohtani guilty 100% and if MLB allows him to slide, the massive double standards in baseball as well as the corruption continues.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:35 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
I find it highly unlikely a known control freak like Ohtani would have a liar and thief as his interpreter and "best friend" without doing a back ground check.

I find it highly unlikely that 4.5M was transferred without an accountant notifying Ohtani, and that's if Ohtani didn't authorize the transfers himself.

I find it highly unlikely a theft and betrayal of this magnitude would be concealed for the sake of a interpreter, he would have been fired and charged immediately.

I find it hard to believe no arrests have been made if Ohtani is really claiming 4.5M was stolen from him, and we have a confession from the thief.

It's all lies, and probably to cover up a stupid truth: Interpreter racked up gambling debt, his superstar buddy thought nothing of covering it for him until somebody cued him in that he was likely committing a crime.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:02 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I find it highly unlikely a known control freak like Ohtani would have a liar and thief as his interpreter and "best friend" without doing a back ground check.

I find it highly unlikely that 4.5M was transferred without an accountant notifying Ohtani, and that's if Ohtani didn't authorize the transfers himself.

I find it highly unlikely a theft and betrayal of this magnitude would be concealed for the sake of a interpreter, he would have been fired and charged immediately.

I find it hard to believe no arrests have been made if Ohtani is really claiming 4.5M was stolen from him, and we have a confession from the thief.

It's all lies, and probably to cover up a stupid truth: Interpreter racked up gambling debt, his superstar buddy thought nothing of covering it for him until somebody cued him in that he was likely committing a crime.

Or, stupid superstar ballplayer racked up gambling debt and interpreter is taking the fall for him.

This.. Is the part that needs to be figured out. If Ohtani was covering for his friend.. Fine. If the 'friend' truly stole 4.5m.. Hmm, but fine. Like watergate.. It wasn't the act that was the problem, it's the coverup.

If Ohtani gambled away 4.5m? We have a bigger problem. He's compromised himself at that point. And that's a MUCH bigger problem.

Now, all told.. So far as I know.. and someone tell me if I'm wrong. There's nothing wrong with gambling. Gambling on baseball.. Automatic 1 year ban.. Gambling on a game you're involved in? Pete Rose'ed.

Ohtani or his interpreter, apparently those bets were through an illegal bookmaker, which is the only place (right now) that there's a problem.. Punishment for that.. Commissioner's discretion.

When the amount of money hits 4.5M, however.. I kinda doubt that MLB would have the sack to suspend Ohtani for more than.. 15 days over this.. If he were the one making the bets, and was honest about it. PROBABLY would have required him to attend Gamblers Anonymous or similar and threats that future gambling via illegal means would result in a stiffer penalty.

Regardless of who made these bets.. There's zero question in my eyes that person has a problem and needs to stop.

In a way.. This reminds me of the Michael Jordan thing from the 90's. He was gambling vast sums.. And.. Basically his response was.. "I can afford it".. And.. He was right. But.. It's still a very bad look and could be a very slippery slope.

What I hope doesn't happen.. If MLB completes their investigation and finds that Ohanti is.. Just an idiot in regards to money.. The conspiracy theories don't start. "Oh, MLB covered it up so they didn't have to ban the greatest player ever".. The only time there's a permanent ban is if you bet on your own games. Plus.. They banned Pete Rose. and have kept him banned. Same with Shoeless Joe and the evidence against him is much more murky.

If they find he was truly helping his friend, and now he's covering it up.. There needs to be a penalty for that. Not big, but.. That 15 days sounds about right..

If those are his gambling debts.. He was betting via illegal means.. AND NOW he's wrangled someone to take the fall? This is huge. This is where we start talking a full year ban at a minimum. All this.. My opinion, obviously.

The other part that comes into play here is the Japanese culture.. I need to read up on how this is being covered in Japanese media. I also have a problem that Ohtani's lawyers said this was being turned over to law enforcement, but.. No law enforcement will admit to investigating..

Old 04-04-2024, 09:39 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Or, stupid superstar ballplayer racked up gambling debt and interpreter is taking the fall for him.

This.. Is the part that needs to be figured out. If Ohtani was covering for his friend.. Fine. If the 'friend' truly stole 4.5m.. Hmm, but fine. Like watergate.. It wasn't the act that was the problem, it's the coverup.

If Ohtani gambled away 4.5m? We have a bigger problem. He's compromised himself at that point. And that's a MUCH bigger problem.

Now, all told.. So far as I know.. and someone tell me if I'm wrong. There's nothing wrong with gambling. Gambling on baseball.. Automatic 1 year ban.. Gambling on a game you're involved in? Pete Rose'ed.

Ohtani or his interpreter, apparently those bets were through an illegal bookmaker, which is the only place (right now) that there's a problem.. Punishment for that.. Commissioner's discretion.

When the amount of money hits 4.5M, however.. I kinda doubt that MLB would have the sack to suspend Ohtani for more than.. 15 days over this.. If he were the one making the bets, and was honest about it. PROBABLY would have required him to attend Gamblers Anonymous or similar and threats that future gambling via illegal means would result in a stiffer penalty.

Regardless of who made these bets.. There's zero question in my eyes that person has a problem and needs to stop.

In a way.. This reminds me of the Michael Jordan thing from the 90's. He was gambling vast sums.. And.. Basically his response was.. "I can afford it".. And.. He was right. But.. It's still a very bad look and could be a very slippery slope.

What I hope doesn't happen.. If MLB completes their investigation and finds that Ohanti is.. Just an idiot in regards to money.. The conspiracy theories don't start. "Oh, MLB covered it up so they didn't have to ban the greatest player ever".. The only time there's a permanent ban is if you bet on your own games. Plus.. They banned Pete Rose. and have kept him banned. Same with Shoeless Joe and the evidence against him is much more murky.

If they find he was truly helping his friend, and now he's covering it up.. There needs to be a penalty for that. Not big, but.. That 15 days sounds about right..

If those are his gambling debts.. He was betting via illegal means.. AND NOW he's wrangled someone to take the fall? This is huge. This is where we start talking a full year ban at a minimum. All this.. My opinion, obviously.

The other part that comes into play here is the Japanese culture.. I need to read up on how this is being covered in Japanese media. I also have a problem that Ohtani's lawyers said this was being turned over to law enforcement, but.. No law enforcement will admit to investigating..
You do understand that Pete Rose voluntarily agreed to stay off the HOF eligibility list in exchange for MLB to cease any formal investigation into his gambling allegation, right?

Pete Rose also bet on his own team while working as the Reds manager.

Pete Rose was also never banned from managing the Reds during his initial gambling investigation in 1989.

Is this the same case as Ohtani?

Old 04-04-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
How do you not notice $500K leaving your bank account multiple times, let alone $4.5M going missing?
How did Ippei have access to his back account?
Why did the story change?

Complete bull****. If MLB let Ohtani slide, they are complicit in the cover-up and yet again MLB playing favorites with certain teams.

I hope teams pitch at his knees, ankles, and elbows all year.
why? who's the "victims" for Ohtani's alleged gambling accusation that cause opposing teams want to hurt Ohtani?

Old 04-08-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You do understand that Pete Rose voluntarily agreed to stay off the HOF eligibility list in exchange for MLB to cease any formal investigation into his gambling allegation, right?

Pete Rose also bet on his own team while working as the Reds manager.

Pete Rose was also never banned from managing the Reds during his initial gambling investigation in 1989.

Is this the same case as Ohtani?

At this point? Yes. Because we're at the initial investigation part.

Do i think this will wind up where Ohtani is found to have gambled on games he was involved in? No. Gambled on baseball? hmm.. I don't think so, but.. Remember.. That's a one year ban, automatic, if he did.

Again, where I see the real problem is if those are his gambling debts and he's having his interpreter take the fall. if.. and that's a big if.. If that's the case.. There needs to be a severe punishment for it. a one year ban sounds pretty spot on, if they find that's the case.

Something stinks about all this right now. Law enforcement doesn't seem to have been involved in this, even now.. Sorry, but someone steals 4.5M.. Police get involved.

So, why wouldn't they? Well, lying to the police is a crime. So.. Why would they lie? Well, if they said the interpreter did this, and he didn't..

I don't care if he bet on baseball or not if it's discovered he's got the interpreter taking the fall for him. To me.. That would need to be a one year ban.. Not for the act, for the coverup.

Things just.. sit poorly right now with the explanation.Is it possible? Yes.. But it seems highly unlikely that the story we've been given could be the truth. If he said his accountant stole 4.5M from him.. I'd believe that far more easily than his interpreter. Just because the accountant would better be able to hide it. The accountants should have noticed this money missing well before now.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At this point? Yes. Because we're at the initial investigation part.

Do i think this will wind up where Ohtani is found to have gambled on games he was involved in? No. Gambled on baseball? hmm.. I don't think so, but.. Remember.. That's a one year ban, automatic, if he did.

Again, where I see the real problem is if those are his gambling debts and he's having his interpreter take the fall. if.. and that's a big if.. If that's the case.. There needs to be a severe punishment for it. a one year ban sounds pretty spot on, if they find that's the case.

Something stinks about all this right now. Law enforcement doesn't seem to have been involved in this, even now.. Sorry, but someone steals 4.5M.. Police get involved.

So, why wouldn't they? Well, lying to the police is a crime. So.. Why would they lie? Well, if they said the interpreter did this, and he didn't..

I don't care if he bet on baseball or not if it's discovered he's got the interpreter taking the fall for him. To me.. That would need to be a one year ban.. Not for the act, for the coverup.

Things just.. sit poorly right now with the explanation.Is it possible? Yes.. But it seems highly unlikely that the story we've been given could be the truth. If he said his accountant stole 4.5M from him.. I'd believe that far more easily than his interpreter. Just because the accountant would better be able to hide it. The accountants should have noticed this money missing well before now.
If you have any credible evidence that Ohtani gambled on baseball let alone Angels games, feel free to send your evidence to FBI or IRS or MLB. I'm sure they would like to hear it from you. MLB might cover for their golden boy Ohtani, but FBI or IRS sure as hell do not.

Also, police doesn't get involved if someone "steals" $4.5 mil from you, especially if you aren't going to press charges and especially if you networth is over half a billion dollars like Ohtani. It's border line civil matter because there is no violence involved.

Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
If you have any credible evidence that Ohtani gambled on baseball let alone Angels games, feel free to send your evidence to FBI or IRS or MLB. I'm sure they would like to hear it from you. MLB might cover for their golden boy Ohtani, but FBI or IRS sure as hell do not.

Also, police doesn't get involved if someone "steals" $4.5 mil from you, especially if you aren't going to press charges and especially if you networth is over half a billion dollars like Ohtani. It's border line civil matter because there is no violence involved.

I said I doubted that there was gambling on baseball involved. The FBI and IRS.. Wouldn't give a rats ass. The IRS because he lost money and the FBI would only care from the level of getting him as a cooperating witness if they went after his bookmaker.

Yeah.. Police get involved in theft. There was no violence with SBF or Bernie Madoff, either.. So, that is a completely ridiculous statement. Embezzlement is a crime.

The only way they don't get involved.. If the case isn't brought to them. And.. It seems so far. The case hasn't been brought to them. After Ohtani's legal team said they DID take it to them.

Based on what we know right now. The only people who seem to be lying are Ohtani's lawyers. Why would they lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball