Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:14 PM

17,684 posts, read 15,397,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Marlins did have about a negative -58 run differential and had one of the best records in MLB History in 1 run games last year, so they were naturally due to regress. Their problem is before the season they lost 2 starters from last year to season-ending injuries (Alcantara & Eury Perez) and than right before the season lost another (Braxton Garrett), so because of that they had to convert their closer/set up man AJ Puk back to the rotation to start the year because they had no bodies. And now both Puk and opening day starter Jesus Luzardo are on the IL, so that's basically 6 starters they had planned to have on the shelf and pretty much the entire rotation from last year. So then it's a snowball effect; you have no SPs, and you aren't going to spend money to go get an unsigned guy, so you have to basically call up your AAA and AA pitchers to pitch at the major league level. These guys aren't going to pitch very long in the games, and than it just stretches a mediocre to bad bullpen even moreso because of all the extra innings they'll have to pitch. And they lost a few games earlier in the season as guys were trying to find their role because again....one of their better back end arms last year had to go back to the rotation because of the injuries. And than to compound matters one of the few guys that was swinging the bat well (Jake Burger) is on the IL as well, so when it rains it downpours I guess??

That answers why they're 27th in pitching..

But they're 27th in batting as well with a team .227 average.

Hitting .227 is a great year.. If you're Kyle Schwarber.. Doesn't work out well for many other people, and certainly not a team. Not to mention an OBP of .289. At least Schwarber usually has an OBP well north of .300

Someone I didn't think to mention.. Astros are choking in April again. 10-20. Think this is worse than last year. Again.. Plenty of time to turn it around, but.. Didn't see this coming.

Phillies.. Look, they're at 21-11.. And they EASILY could be somewhere around 26-6.

Wheeler is 3-3 with a 1.91.. If you look at his three losses. No run support. 3 runs in those three games. I think the first game he had a ND, took about a 5-0 lead when he left in the 6th and the 'pen lost something like 9-5.

Nola is.. Doing Nola things. Good Nola, Bad Nola.. Just depends on who shows up. Suarez, I've always thought was a quality #3.. He's showing it this year. He's showing he could be considered the #1 starter for many clubs. Turnbull and Sanchez have been steady. Walker.. Not great in his first start back, but.. See how he does once he gets back in the swing of things.|

Take their bullpen out of the equation, and they're the best team in baseball right now. With Strider out.. Phillies probably have to be the favorites for the NL East now? Don't get me wrong. Braves have a solid team, but losing Strider is a pretty big blow.

Someone brought up that the Rockies hadn't won 2 in a row.. They also have trailed in, now, all 30 of their games. I mean, they've only won 7, but, to have come from behind in all of those..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 11:39 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,001,113 times
^You won't like it, but let's be honest here. I understand the Phillies are doing well. But since splitting the series with the Pirates, they have beaten a bunch of lousy teams to inflate their record to what it is at the moment, 22-11.

White Sox are 6-26
Padres are 17-18
Angles are 11-19
Rockies are 8-24

It's not like they are beating the best teams in baseball. In fact, 16 of Philly's 22 wins are against teams with losing record. They are 15-4 against teams with losing records, and just 7-7 against .500 or better clubs.

If you look at their SRS from Baseball Reference, the Phillies are only 0.4 runs better than their opponent. When comparing to other teams, that is relatively average. They've also played the second weakest schedule in all the MLB so far:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...tandings.shtml

Last edited by sluggermatt15; 05-04-2024 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
^You won't like it, but let's be honest here. I understand the Phillies are doing well. But since splitting the series with the Pirates, they have beaten a bunch of lousy teams to inflate their record to what it is at the moment, 22-11.

White Sox are 6-26
Padres are 17-18
Angles are 11-19
Rockies are 8-24

It's not like they are beating the best teams in baseball. In fact, 16 of Philly's 22 wins are against teams with losing record. They are 15-4 against teams with losing records, and just 7-7 against .500 or better clubs.

If you look at their SRS from Baseball Reference, the Phillies are only 0.4 runs better than their opponent. When comparing to other teams, that is relatively average. They've also played the second weakest schedule in all the MLB so far:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...tandings.shtml

Not unfair. They've been playing lower end teams up to .500 teams. But.. They're winning all those series. They swept the White Sox, Rockies, Padres and Giants (With a win today)

Split a 4 game with the Reds, took 2 of 3 from the Angels. and those were on the road. While the Phils don't have quite the home field advantage during the regular season that they do in the playoffs.. Sweeping 3 or 4 of 6 series is quite good, no matter who you're playing.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not unfair. They've been playing lower end teams up to .500 teams. But.. They're winning all those series. They swept the White Sox, Rockies, Padres and Giants (With a win today)

Split a 4 game with the Reds, took 2 of 3 from the Angels. and those were on the road. While the Phils don't have quite the home field advantage during the regular season that they do in the playoffs.. Sweeping 3 or 4 of 6 series is quite good, no matter who you're playing.
Right, it's not surprising is what I am saying. For the powerhouse of a team they are, they should be at the top of the standings. My point also is they are taking advantage of an easy schedule to do so.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2009 View Post
I am officially going to the Diamondbacks/Orioles game Saturday. I just cant wear the DBacks gear I have lol.

Why not? Bawl-mur, hon, isn't exactly like LA where you could get shot for wearing another team's colors.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:07 AM

26,266 posts, read 49,177,773 times
Catcher's Interference calls are increasing. The NY Times reports this today . . .

Quote:
Weeks before Opening Day this season, Major League Baseball sent a memo to all 30 clubs highlighting a rise in catcher’s interference. The instances of catchers being struck by the bats of opposing hitters were rising rapidly. Catcher’s interference was called 94 times in 2023, nearly 20 more times than in 2022.

What was causing the dramatic uptick? Catchers kept moving closer to the plate. In the era of pitch framing, teams deduced that the closer a catcher is to receiving a pitch, the better chance he has to “steal” a strike.

It worked well enough that catchers kept shifting closer to the batter’s box. The memo this spring essentially warned teams to cut it out and move catchers farther behind the plate to minimize risk.

But anyone who saw St. Louis Cardinals catcher Willson Contreras sustain a fractured left arm Tuesday night knows that risk remains ever-present.

Catcher’s interference calls continue to skyrocket at a historic pace. The average catcher’s interference total from 2010 to 2018 was 31. This year, it’s been called 33 times — less than two months in.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-11-2024 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2009 View Post
I am officially going to the Diamondbacks/Orioles game Saturday. I just cant wear the DBacks gear I have lol.
I agree with Labonte18. Why not? The Diamondbacks and Orioles are not rivals....

Old 05-11-2024, 11:50 AM

26,266 posts, read 49,177,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I agree with Labonte18. Why not? The Diamondbacks and Orioles are not rivals....
Shouldn't be a problem wearing Dbacks gear to Camden Yards, BUT NOT NY Yankees gear, the Yankees have been the Os arch-rival for generations, fist fights in the stands are common when the Yankees are in town.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:38 PM

382 posts, read 174,140 times
Hey, it's FREE weekend on the MLB app, too bad my local team is still blacked out.

MLB really sucks. Their product isn't that good and they make it incredibly difficult to actually watch their games.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Shouldn't be a problem wearing Dbacks gear to Camden Yards, BUT NOT NY Yankees gear, the Yankees have been the Os arch-rival for generations, fist fights in the stands are common when the Yankees are in town.
Totally agree. I also would not wear Red Sox apparel to an O's/Sox game in Baltimore.

Then again, I am not the type of person to say anything to other fans wearing opponent apparel/supportive gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball