Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:43 PM

6,964 posts, read 3,785,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I was born in 1990. So I saw the one from that era.
Yeah, they butchered the original in the mid 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 03:36 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Which old stadium? the original old stadium from the 1920's or the 70's renovated one.
The 70's renos took away a lot of the original character. The interior concession and hallway areas were atrocious when crowded.
I did not notice THAT much of a difference from the original v. the renovated version.

I really did not care for the 2 years they played at Shea Stadium while the renovation was taking place other than I was able to buy seats first row behind home plate from a friend's family business when I wanted to go (also got a number of great autographs) and they had a pretty good fried chicken platter if I recall.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:06 PM

6,964 posts, read 3,785,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I did not notice THAT much of a difference from the original v. the renovated version.
Starkly different. They removed the earlier century features like the upper deck roof/frieze and pillars. They gave it a more utilitarian look and feel like the 1960s-70s round bowl astroturf stadiums but maintaining the overall triangular baseline shape.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:26 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Nothing lasts forever….as a kid I used to buy cheap seats, could sneak down, and tipping the red coat usher a few bucks (who would wipe down your seat with a mitten), could get one great seats. Those days are long gone since the caste system and moats have been introduced at arenas and stadiums (believe Staples Center might have been the pioneer of this).

Most of all I miss the electricity and nostalgic feel of the original stadium. At this point I would rather see a Yankee road game. Seats behind the plate on the Delta Suites or or upper deck feel as though you are in a different zip code than the game and the hallways/concession areas feel like a strip mall. For a team with such a history and devotion to its past they sure blew it with this reincarnation.

I remember when bleacher seats for A's games at the Oakland Coliseum were 75 cents and first deck seats along first or third base lines were $7.00.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
As sad as it is, at least I had the foresight to see it coming, and made a point of seeing games in Sportsmens Park, Crosley field, Connie Mack, Tiger. And minor league games i beautiful old buildings in Savannah, Charleston WV, Pittsfield, Davenport, lots of others.

For a decade, I went to Chicago every year on that one schedule glitch, when the Cubs ended a home stand in the afternoon and the WSox opened one at old Comiskey that evening.
By the end of the 80s I'd seen A's, Giants, Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, and Blue Jays home games (the Blue Jays at the old Exhibition Stadium in Toronto).

By the mid 2000s I'd seen games in all MLB stadiums, and I've seen at least a game in every new replacement stadium that has opened since then......

.....so I didn't get to see Yankee Stadium in person before the 70s remodel, but I saw a few games there after that remodel, and I've seen a game at the new Yankee Stadium and had a meal at the Hard Rock Cafe there.

Even more weird to me than seeing the old Yankee Stadium missing was having seen my last game at Shea during that horrendous September losing streak (when Rickey Henderson happened to be one of the underling coaches), and then going back and seeing Shea completely gone, a new parking lot there instead and seeing the (partially built when I was last there) finished Citi Field and seeing a game there (I was there the day Lady Gaga stripped to her bra (took her blouse off) and then someone said officials took her to Seinfeld's box).

Old 07-01-2022, 02:41 AM

834 posts, read 530,676 times
Nets weren't installed across the MLB because of one incident. How could anyone here believe that??

Try 1000+ injuries per year, every year, for over a century.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:07 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Nets weren't installed across the MLB because of one incident. How could anyone here believe that??

Try 1000+ injuries per year, every year, for over a century.
1000+ injuries per year?….got stats to back that claim up? It actually took an infant getting hit in the head for MLB to do something (though for the life of me I’d stay home with an infant, net or pre-net).

Old 07-16-2022, 06:55 AM

437 posts, read 188,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I can't argue about the netting. The players are stronger, the pitchers are throwing as hard as they can, and the ball is coming off the bat at easily 110 MPH+. Even if you were watching, your reaction time (if your sitting beyond the dugout for example) is probably about 2 or 2.5 seconds, and for little kids that's just not enough time for them to react in time.

Not gonna argue about the ambiance and the game day experience at the new Stadium vs. the Old. The bleachers are still fun, but the rest of the ballpark?? No thanks. The new stadium priced out the Yankee fan. Now you get all these companies selling corporate tickets behind home plate, and all these guys care about is getting seen on TV.

Players were never as strong as they were in the steroid era and there were no nets to the extent that they are now. If you're worried about the kids, purchase tickets for seats that in the upper levels, FFS. The issue is that people want to play on their phones instead of paying attention so the rest of us that actually go to watch the games have to suffer. I won't attend MLB games anymore for a variety of reasons and the netting obstructing my view is one of them. Same goes for hockey. I'll refuse tickets if I have to sit where the net obstructs my view.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:09 PM

571 posts, read 278,593 times
The new stadium is an embarrassment

Old 08-01-2023, 12:19 AM

Deleted - noticed it was essentially a duplicate of a post of mine from about 13 months ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball