Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 02:33 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
IMO, No, Phils are not capable of a WC no matter who manages. At best, the Phils can be .500. NO defense at all, to a level I recall no team reaching in many decades. No Range amongst IF with decent hands; no hands amongst those with range.

2 DHs roam the OF (Schwarber & Castellanos), and you will be lucky to get Harper in RF for another 50 games IMO.

Bullpen is horrific. Using it creates bad managerial decisions but the days starters went 9, throwing 175 pitches are done.

Well, not that I expect they will.. But they keep playing like this they should.

It does kinda go to show here that putting some of these young guys in and having them play through seems to be the way to go.

A breath of fresh air at the leadership position can make a big difference. 6 in a row and they're tied in the 5th today. Scratch that, they just took a 2 run lead in the top of the 5th.

Of course.. no lead is safe with this bullpen, but.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 04:53 PM

938 posts, read 1,230,157 times
Default Phillies Bullpen

4.1 innings Sunday score 2 - 1 and a call to the bullpen. We would have been more fortunate if there had been a busy signal. The moment a Philly Manager decides to Manage all hell breaks loose. It's a sad state of affairs. As a pitcher your won lost record makes a difference to you and when a bunch of bone heads buried you in a game it shows how lacking you are in any reliability at all. I'd let the pitchers go ahead and pitch 9 innings what the difference. Any way what's the possibility they lose 13 - 1. Manager dont rely on those relief bums it's been our problem for years. There is hardly a one who gives a damn on the outcome of any game. Our biggest flaw because I love this team.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:46 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
4.1 innings Sunday score 2 - 1 and a call to the bullpen. We would have been more fortunate if there had been a busy signal. The moment a Philly Manager decides to Manage all hell breaks loose. It's a sad state of affairs. As a pitcher your won lost record makes a difference to you and when a bunch of bone heads buried you in a game it shows how lacking you are in any reliability at all. I'd let the pitchers go ahead and pitch 9 innings what the difference. Any way what's the possibility they lose 13 - 1. Manager dont rely on those relief bums it's been our problem for years. There is hardly a one who gives a damn on the outcome of any game. Our biggest flaw because I love this team.
Suarez threw 88 pitches in 4.1. No one throws 183, which is what he'd throw over 9IP at that pace.

This is why IMO the East is the same 2 team race it was day 1, Mets & Braves.

162 games is long. No one can hide their bullpen, nor their defense. Every teams full profile (starters, pen, defense, batting average, runs) will come into full focus.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:58 PM

Default Wanted Relief Pitchers - Must be able to Pitch

OMG. Did that just happen. Again? You have got to be kidding me. After the 6th the team resembles the SS America or Titantic coming to port. They look to be pitching batting practice for the opposing team or cant find the plate. Look we can do it but we need the likes of a 2008 Brad Lidge, a 1959 Elroy Face who in spite of his team that year went 18 -1 as a relief pitcher or the ever reliable Rollie Fingers. What we have here is a failure to Communicate. You are out there to get outs not improve the major leaguers batting average. Cmon get it together I believe we have a chance but these characters got to get their act together. I'm running out of Rolaids. It's like a show that has the same tragic ending too many nights. We need lights out baseball not do I have to pitch debutantes. Please get it together. Practice if that dontvwork pray. When I do I hear a voice saying "Not you again". Lol

Old 06-15-2022, 05:40 AM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
OMG. Did that just happen. Again? You have got to be kidding me. After the 6th the team resembles the SS America or Titantic coming to port. They look to be pitching batting practice for the opposing team or cant find the plate. Look we can do it but we need the likes of a 2008 Brad Lidge, a 1959 Elroy Face who in spite of his team that year went 18 -1 as a relief pitcher or the ever reliable Rollie Fingers. What we have here is a failure to Communicate. You are out there to get outs not improve the major leaguers batting average. Cmon get it together I believe we have a chance but these characters got to get their act together. I'm running out of Rolaids. It's like a show that has the same tragic ending too many nights. We need lights out baseball not do I have to pitch debutantes. Please get it together. Practice if that dontvwork pray. When I do I hear a voice saying "Not you again". Lol
If the season ended now, the Braves, on pace to win 93, would be the last wild card. The NL East & West are deep. The Phils lack of bullpen and defense were knowns coming into 2022. You can't bank on winning 93 games 14-13. Your 3rd baseman made a critical error-his 8th already. Realmuto already has 7-is he trying to fit in as he once was solid defensively?

It will take very solid pitching, pen included, plus solid D to make the playoffs this year, in either league.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:00 AM

Who let the dog out?? Man this is roundball not frownball. I am ecstatic that a team of this talent level woke up and smelled the coffee. Where'd them relievers come? They earned the long time nickname so now instead of "Those desparate Phillies" we have back "Them fighting Phillies". You have got to love it.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:15 AM

Default Pitcher in Phillies Future

Is it a Martinez, Molina or Melendez?

Old 07-08-2022, 12:33 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Who let the dog out?? Man this is roundball not frownball. I am ecstatic that a team of this talent level woke up and smelled the coffee. Where'd them relievers come? They earned the long time nickname so now instead of "Those desparate Phillies" we have back "Them fighting Phillies". You have got to love it.

A change at the top can make all the difference. Hate that Harper is out for.. Most of the rest of the season. MAYBE he gets back in early September.

Just worried about the bullpen. Is this just the law of averages catching up? they've been so bad they have to be so good just to even things out and we're going to slide back towards the median?

The young players are doing OK for the most part.. But.. Moniak still seems to suck at the plate. Bohm seems to be playing well.. After his 3 error game to start the season, he's only had 4 more. Herrera needs to be trade bait. Stott seems to be taking the McCutchen role.. He's not really hitting well, but he's been pretty clutch with his few hits.

I'm hopeful.. Tied for the final WC spot right now.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:14 AM

Listen to 94.1 almost daily. It's difficult to hear all these negative attitudes just to prompt an arguable point. It's their business. This is Saturday and on way to a clients home listened to Howard Eskin. His view of the Phillies turnaround and I believe a record of 22 - 10 or thereabout last 32 games is that they havent played many good teans. Give me a break what 83 games now 6 games over .500 and this turnaround in last 32 games is because they havent played any real good teams. Wait didnt they play the Yankees during this stretch last I checked their a record breaking team. Eskin is great at times but this isnt one of them he is a power conversationalist but sometimes light on nobody home. Philadelphia finishes 2nd in Baseball and Football and you'd think they were the Washington Nationals. Give thanks we have a team this good and a Coach who attempts to relate and properly analyze a team members ability to contribute. Even a man batting .229 his making significant contribution. Howard get off their throats and the 76ers. You should take poke at the Flyers. DO YOU THINK YOU TAKE TIME ANALYZE AND RECOGNIZE WE GOT A GOOD TEAM OR TEAMS. We also have the biggest bunch of Antagonizers in the world yep the world outside the Kremlin.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:27 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,485,605 times
I think Howard Eskin was right. Since June 3, they've played 34 games; only 17 or half of the games in that stretch have been against teams that were .500 or better when they played. Granted they are 13-4 in those 17 games so it actually hasn't hurt them, and actually have a better record in the 17 games against winning teams (13-4) then they do against losing teams (11-6).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball